Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Computer Pack Rats Anonymous?

Computer Pack Rats Anonymous?

Does anyone else admit to being a pc pack rat. Not your expensive stuff just old drives, cables, case screws by the jar, etc. I can blame part of this on the "maybe" that one of the old pc's at the center might need something but I think it is getting out of hand. Any other pack rats out there?
    "nothing you do for children is ever wasted" Keillor

Ultimate Member
    What in hells teeth is a 'Pack Rat'

As for me i got boat loads of old screws two or three old vid cards, two old spare modems, a spare case fan, a couple of heatsinks and enough cables to throttle myself with a dozen times over

--Jakk

Seriously, how do you get rid of the stuff? I'm to lazy to throw it away, so it all just lies around in my room. Who knows, you might be able to use some of it again. I think most of us have the stuff lying around.

Intimate Member
    Bigjakkstaffa... Yep. I'd have to say you are among the rest of us pack rats

Pack rat is a loose, generic term applied to anybody that collects 'stuff'..dosn't really matter what, and keeps it...and keeps it....and keeps it. When you finally throw it away, you or somebody you know will desperately need it, and it can't be bought anymore. We live in fear that if we S/C some item, it will come back to haunt us.

Yep...I am a pack rat...big time!!!

i find such items to be valuable. never know when a freind may require help with his computer, spare parts are then plentiful. if my video card breaks down or something, hey, i got a perfectly goof geforce 2 mx 400, and a tnt2 m64.

I just remain in a state of denial and continue to call it inventory. LOL.

Ultimate Member
    In that case i got all sorts of C64 and Amiga hardware and bits hanging about too

--Jakk

I have half a room full of old junk. Recently I started making clocks out of my old harddrives. I have about two dozen. I am planning to one day tile the wall in my office with old motherboards and cards. I figure I got about 50 or 60 square ft. already. The clocks sell for $50.00 a piece wholesale to the local galleries. I am waiting for an order of insert clocks from KlockIt Co. right now. The term Pack Rat comes from an actual species of rat. My dad had one that raided his shop in California once. The varmint was stealing router bits and cabinet hardware before he put a stop to it.

Sheesh! Do we got stuff!

I'd love to throw the old stuff out but my son won't let me. He's the pack rat. He's still got old 8088 stuff (IBM XT?, I think was the name), he even keeps an old XT running for old times sake, calls it his 'retro PC'. He's got a whole room that looks like a PC museum.

When Best Products went out of business we bought up all their old corporate office PC stuff for next to nothing. We used to keep about 30 of those dang PC's out in the backyard under a tarp! Half were XT and half were AT. LOL Thought we'd use em someday. Finally sent them all and about 15 b&W monitors to the dump along with huge boxes of useless old network cable.

Then of course there's the 386 and 486 era . . . please make it stop

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    What in hells teeth is a 'Pack Rat'

As for me i got boat loads of old screws two or three old vid cards, two old spare modems, a spare case fan, a couple of heatsinks and enough cables to throttle myself with a dozen times over

--Jakk
    Jakk!

You got a old AGP card around?

I bought a el crappo' mobo off e-bay & I wanna make it go...
    all the pci's R dead & the big black ones are a tad skanky too!

Let me know!

Ultimate Member
    I got an AGP Ati Rage Pro 8mb which is **** needless to say, the other AGP will be needed in another system beign build in the near future

--Jakk

PM me with your cash requirement!

Pack rats anonymous eh ?. We gonna have a set of 12 steps for this ?.
    1. Admitted that we were powerless over dusty old motherboards and that our loved one's moved out because of the clutter.

Ok somebody come up with step 2.

2. Some Baskit Torched my lock up a few weeks ago!

But My Trusty "Commodore Pet" survived singed but survived
    It didn't work when I got it............. Me binning the guts didn't help
    but IT SURVIVED

I am a pack rat.

Step 3.
    Ask a relative to go through your stuff and throw it away. (I usually loose 2 or 3 items this way. )
    -- Mathias