Thread: RD ram or DDR ram for Pentium 4?

RD ram or DDR ram for Pentium 4?

I'm getting a new computer with a pentium processor. I was wondering what type of ram I should get, RD or DDR. Any suggestions?

RDRAM is on its way out. It would be a safer buy to go with DDR.

It depends on what you want to do with your system. I would suggest going to Rambus memory if you intend to do video streaming and video editing because bandwidth is the main reason that while everybody else says that Rambus is going out, systems based on that memory technology still is way on top of DDR memory for the above mentioned uses! But if you are not going to do video streaming and video editing, then DDR memory is good enough!

If you do go with RAMBUS type memory, then I would recommend the Gigabyte GA-8IHXP motherboard. It has all of what you'll need for building a great P4 system. My DDR type motherboard recommendation would be the Gigabyte GA-8INXP. I think that if you look at the specs for the above mentioned mobos, you'll see why I would recommend them without any reservation! In any case, I hope that info that I pass along would be helpful to you in making your decision.

Ultimate Member
    DDR400 in a tweaked state can come within 5% of RDRAM on the right 845 chipset. IMO, RIMMs are a waste of money. No upgrade path at all. They're being phased out. And Official PC1200 support may never become a reality.

What path do you want? The dead-end one? Or the scaleable one?

Sorry I'm kinda dumb at this subject, RIMM is another term for RD ram? Thanx for the responses above.

Yes, RIMMs are RDRAM.

Rimm Ram!

Since we're on the subject of ram types anyways.. are there any other type of coolers for RD other than the built in?

Wonderin if I should just plant a fan above them because I don't want to buy faster RD without knowing the future
    - Avor