Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AMD & INTEL Are compared ?

AMD & INTEL Are compared ?

Hey looking to get a few Computers for the kids. I Just wanted to know. If I go AMD what differents will I see ? What I mean. Do they lock up alot. Or are they just about the same as intel ? How good is the AMD XP2600 CPU ? It'll be on the HB-M841 Motherboard, 200/266 FSB, SDram or DDR-Ram. where dose the XP2600 cpu compare to an Intel cpu ? I have to keep the price down, right know the kids use 533, and they just aren't keeping up with some of the games. And the intell is about $100 more per computer. Oh i can go with a board that has the APG video on it, Or if not was is a good low cost Video card for an AMD unit ? Thanks

Oh now odnt give of on the wrong foot jsut because an AMD processer is cheaper doesnt mean its gona lock up. Mine only has 1 or 2 times sence i got it and I have had it for almost a year its an ATHLON XP... I have seen a friends p4 lock up quite often. Go for the Athlon XP and DDR... Will save you money and will have very awesome preformance... Very close to the p4 if not better... (depending on model)
    Experience OUTLaW

I have to agree. If you're looking for a cost effective system go for the AMD. Athlon is superior (in the price/performance ratio atleast) in almost all aspects. Due to different designs obviously performance depends slightly on what is being done. As for the video, I would highly recommend against on onboard unit (unless maybe you're going with an NForce motherboard). Most commercial PC systems (Compaq, Gateway, Dell) come with plenty of processor and memory/storage, but few come with a good enough video card. You can get a GeForce 4 for around $100, or a GeForce 2 for around $50. Either of these cards would be an advantage over virtually any onboard graphics if they're for gaming at all. Check the systems though, a lot of commercial PC's won't accept an expansion AGP card - and a lot of boards with integrated graphics won't either.

Originally posted by Paco103
    I have to agree. If you're looking for a cost effective system go for the AMD. Athlon is superior (in the price/performance ratio atleast) in almost all aspects. Due to different designs obviously performance depends slightly on what is being done. As for the video, I would highly recommend against on onboard unit (unless maybe you're going with an NForce motherboard). Most commercial PC systems (Compaq, Gateway, Dell) come with plenty of processor and memory/storage, but few come with a good enough video card. You can get a GeForce 4 for around $100, or a GeForce 2 for around $50. Either of these cards would be an advantage over virtually any onboard graphics if they're for gaming at all. Check the systems though, a lot of commercial PC's won't accept an expansion AGP card - and a lot of boards with integrated graphics won't either.
    yea this one has a AMD Duron / Athlon XP 2600 what would that be equal to in the P4 Celron Prosseor ?

Some of these idiots intend to confuse you.

RULE OF THUMB... add 600-800 mhz to the AMD to equal the the performance of a P4. Celeron is complete ****. Intel sells because intel sells lies in advertising.

when you can buy a $50 AMD chip that will blow away the $200 intel? Or stand toe to toe w/ the$700 intel... why question it?

Mine AMD rock the world.

Me thinks a $50 AMD standing toe to toe with a $700 P4 is pushing it a wee bit far.

the correct way to compare is

Duron vs Celery
    Athlon vs P3
    Athlon XP vs P4

anything out of the context is way too exagerated even with Liquid Nitrogen OC-ed

Hey looking to get a few Computers for the kids. I Just wanted to know. If I go AMD what differents will I see ? What I mean. Do they lock up alot. Or are they just about the same as intel ? How good is the AMD XP2600 CPU ? It'll be on the HB-M841 Motherboard, 200/266 FSB, SDram or DDR-Ram. where dose the XP2600 cpu compare to an Intel cpu ? I have to keep the price down, right know the kids use 533, and they just aren't keeping up with some of the games. And the intell is about $100 more per computer. Oh i can go with a board that has the APG video on it, Or if not was is a good low cost Video card for an AMD unit ? Thanks
    Need another 'kid'?

My Athlons have been very stable. My Pentium III was very stable. It comes down to WHAT you slap the CPU in, in terms of motherboards (chipset), proper cooling, knowing where and how to set up the rest o' the stuff, that determines STABILITY.

I couldn't find "HB-M841" on Google, but found "M841". This one's a PC CHIPS Micro ATX board, SiS 740 chipset, integrated video and no freaking AGP slot. Do not do it, especially as you mentioned Gaming and Kids in the same sentence.

Locking up is a result of poor cooling, not attributable to AMD, but rather to the builder of the PC. If someone *thinks* they know what they're doing but has consistent problems like this it would only prove they still need experience. Do you plan on building this, or having a company (system integrator) do it?

There's nothing wrong with Intel's products or AMD's. They're both good. I know $1500P4Gamer would concurr with this adamantly. You'll simply have to pay a higher premium to cover Intel's MARKETING and ADVERTISING.

Were I you I'd spend a little less on CPU and more on GPU and a decent motherboard. A real fast processor is extreme-old-sk00l thinking, barring a few recent apps like Morrowind which needs both. Why don't you post back the whole list of specs for your rig and we'll see if you're getting a good deal or the shaft?

ßeeßle MFC Qµ!x
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

Originally posted by Beeblequix

Need another 'kid'?

My Athlons have been very stable. My Pentium III was very stable. It comes down to WHAT you slap the CPU in, in terms of motherboards (chipset), proper cooling, knowing where and how to set up the rest o' the stuff, that determines STABILITY.

I couldn't find "HB-M841" on Google, but found "M841". This one's a PC CHIPS Micro ATX board, SiS 740 chipset, integrated video and no freaking AGP slot. Do not do it, especially as you mentioned Gaming and Kids in the same sentence.

Locking up is a result of poor cooling, not attributable to AMD, but rather to the builder of the PC. If someone *thinks* they know what they're doing but has consistent problems like this it would only prove they still need experience. Do you plan on building this, or having a company (system integrator) do it?

There's nothing wrong with Intel's products or AMD's. They're both good. I know $1500P4Gamer would concurr with this adamantly. You'll simply have to pay a higher premium to cover Intel's MARKETING and ADVERTISING.

Were I you I'd spend a little less on CPU and more on GPU and a decent motherboard. A real fast processor is extreme-old-sk00l thinking, barring a few recent apps like Morrowind which needs both. Why don't you post back the whole list of specs for your rig and we'll see if you're getting a good deal or the shaft?

ßeeßle MFC Qµ!x
    Hello I'm looking at one off Ebay, I bought 1 from them before for a friend. I have the Auction Number Ebay # 2081769667 This is it. But I'll be getting one later. I did pick one with the 300w case didn't like the 330 cases. (crapy) also picked one without APG I can get Geforce 2 for $40.00 on Ebay. well what you think of this unit. and thanks for the help Joe

I'm a tad confused....

This board HAS an AGP slot. What do you mean that you got one without an AGP?

A Geforce 2 by today's standards is going to have serious trouble with newer games. It's a DX7 card made in 2000. The games of today really need more muscle. Any chance of getting a Geforce 3 ti 200 or above?
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

I don't like Pcchips as a motherboard manufacturer, and I don't like barebones off ebay. They may be cheap, but both are problems waiting to happen.

I'd recommend buying quality parts from a respected merchant and assembling it yourself. Tell us how much you want to spend and we can make you a list of parts. If you want to buy from newegg, I could make you a complete list and email it to you.
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

Ultimate Member
    Same here. Always check the seller rating off resellerratings.com.

Originally posted by Giblet Plus!
    I don't like Pcchips as a motherboard manufacturer, and I don't like barebones off ebay. They may be cheap, but both are problems waiting to happen.

I'd recommend buying quality parts from a respected merchant and assembling it yourself. Tell us how much you want to spend and we can make you a list of parts. If you want to buy from newegg, I could make you a complete list and email it to you.
    It's hard to say how much. i have the 3 kids That I want to get new computers for. I don't make alot so I'm trying to keep the price down. I still have to get the Router and hook to the cable. which the cable will only be about $5 a month more then what I pay now. The computers I'd like to spend about 300.00 each. Now on ebay the have ATX cases kinda cheap. But I guess you can give me the ideal computers. i had a site that you searched an item like hard drive and it would show you the cheapest 12 stores. I found 52X cdroms for $22.00. Yea I wasn't going to put burners in these because, i already have 2. 1 in mine and 1 in an older 533 that I could use. Plus being on the network they can copy there junk off mine. same on printer we have one that we all use. But I guess I'm looking for--------------
    -A Case with 300 + power supply--
    -A Motherboard that is at least upgradeable---
    -A Hard drive. 40 gig seems good I've never filled mine up YET..--
    -A CDRom 40X or better I think would do the Job. But taking Sugestions ...---------
    -A memory DDR i can try may have to run SDRam for while-----
    -A Video Card. Not up to date with these. heard Geforce 3 wasn't that good. on this site. heard it was an overpriced GF 2 card. ??
    any help I would be thankful. Oh where is this site you was talking about ? Joe

Originally posted by Beeblequix
    I'm a tad confused....

This board HAS an AGP slot. What do you mean that you got one without an AGP?

A Geforce 2 by today's standards is going to have serious trouble with newer games. It's a DX7 card made in 2000. The games of today really need more muscle. Any chance of getting a Geforce 3 ti 200 or above?
    This Guy has all kinds of auctions, some with and some without. I grabed a number with the AGP by mistake., Now someone else said the PC chips stinks, and that they wouldn'r use them there just a problem waiting to happen. I did buy 1 for a friend but he dosen't play heavey duty games. So I don't know what to say about it. Now I was thinking of building them all from scratchs. I know I can get some cheap ATX cases 350W. I'd hate to go over $400 each that would be pushing the budget. I could strip the 2 533's and sell them as parts, that would raise the price a little. But any ideal where I can get parts cheap ?

Somtimes Ebay.com isn't the best for PC parts or cheapest.

May want to check out

www.newegg.com
    www.mwave.com
    www.googlegear.com
    www.pricegrabber.com

Get at least a geforce 3 or Radeon 8500
    Lock-ups will depends much much more on the OS you will be using.

The geforce 3 is NOT an overpriced geforce 2. That may have been said about the Geforce 4 mx line which is true.]

A cheap board that will have a AGP slot and takes both DDR/Sdram and performes great ( I have it in one of my systems) is the ECS K7s5a. But it can support any more than a XP 2600.

However they are only like $55 from newegg.com
    If you do go with those make sure your PS have at least 28A on the 3.3V and the 3.3V and 5V Combined are at least 190W

Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure