Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best 2.1 Speakers for Gaming Purposes?

Gone
    Altec is good sound per the $. The 251's I have sound great too. Would buy them again which is a rairity in pc speakers it seems.

For home theatre I like the lows and highs I get out of my 500watt 5.1+1 Sony headunit. By the way the plus1 is due to it having front and rear bass cannon outputs on the headunit, both fade. Its not two centers like on pc which is 6.1 Its really cool when watching a war movie and a bomb goes over head. Can hear the rumble move front to back. Match that to my 6' lcd projector image and Im in home theatre heaven. Not top end but good enuff for me and certainly 100x better than my buddys $1000 Bose system and 21" crt tv. First time he heard my system he just went" what stereo is that?!" Hehe. BOSE is a fad, sneezes "rip off" "rip-off". I did that at the stereo shop when another freind was looking at them. Right in front fo the salesman I went like I was sneezing "rip-off" uhmmm "rip-off". He went watcha mean. I said lets compare units shall we. Hehe.

Originally posted by iceblue
    mmm yesh.. have the 340's and they ROCK!
    bad *** thump and clarity!!

Yup it's a High Quality Sub and speaker set for the lowest $$

in Canada a brand new set goes for around $45 - $50 bucks, that's like $25 - $30 USD bucks

Banned
    I have Klipsch 2.1 speakers and love them. Sure they cost a lot but they are worth it and far from over priced. They sound tons better then any other 2.1 computer speaker system there is bar non. They rock. They are far better then both my home awia systems.

Speaking of bose I agree they are a huge rip off. both my Awia 2 speaker and my other 5.1 home system which are both far from high end (they are good low end) will blow away any bose. Bose is for old people who listen to with with hearing aids.

you guys should take a look a this other posting

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=125120

much more detail about speakers

Thanks for the link, now we can rant some more

EDIT: I figured it would be an old post, but nope, it's one that right next to this one. Good one allgamer, you got me there.
    Last edited by Someone Stupid; 12-24-2002 at 06:20 PM.

sneezes "rip off" "rip-off"
    *cough* Darn right

I got a pair of 1020watt 10" Infinity's and good god do they pound. With 210RMS flowing through them they put any other 10's I've heard to SHAME and they were only 100$ for both instead of 140 like you'll find on Crutchfield.

On the topic of PC audio, Klipsch are the best, and I've heard nothing but good about those Altec Lansing speakers you fellows like and also the Logitechs are good too!
    Last edited by morpheus kain; 12-24-2002 at 08:14 PM.
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

Infinity's Kappa's are among the best 10's their are in terms of sound quality and output. They maintain their efficientcy throughout their rated wattage. JL Audio's Flagship series does as well.

You have the DVC or the 4 ohm single coil?

4ohm single coil but I'm gonna be running them at a 2ohms.

Man, I really need to read up on the whole "ohm" thing. For some reason I've never really have no clue what an ohm is. Well, I have a slight clue, but not enough to actually hold a conversation with someone on it.

Electrical resistance.

Do you understand how they work, like wiring wise? Series and Parellel? If you only have two speakers with a single coil it's simple, when you get into mulitple speaker setups with DVC's or just several speakers, you have to really know the entire formula, not just the simple one.

1 ohm will pull twice as much wattage as 2 ohms, 2 pulls twice as much as 4. That's the theory at least, due to actual physics and just amp design, the exact amount you'll pull will vary, I know of some 1 ohm amps that only pull 25% more than they do at 2 ohms (Sony's first ES amps were known for this) while some will pull practically the full doubled amount. Though the lower the ohms, the more your straining your amp, that's why not many amps are capable of 1 ohm support. Many (except for sub specific amps) won't even do 2 ohms. A quality amp though should be able to handle a 2 ohm load, a quality sub amp should be able to handle a 1 ohm load (which is what i run my two subs under since they are 2 ohm subs wired to 1 ohm).

Thanks Stupid, that goes slightly beyond what I knew, so I guess this weekend I'll head down to the Electrical Engineering Library and do some reading, about time I learn this

If it's two single coil speakers, you'll be fine long as your amp supports 2 ohm loads.

Gone
    Resistors in series add, in parallel are inversley proportional. These are impedence though hence the coil!

I just use some "old" studio monitors and a QSC PowerLight 1.8 power amp. It tops out at 1.8 KW (900w/ch) at 2 ohms/channel, but it's running at 8 ohms nominal per channel, so it does about 450/side. It's enough. Dont need subs. Oh and you can't hear youself scream when they're ragin some Metallica. Really.

For more contemporary computer monitors, I like the Klipschs and I'm an old Altec fan.

My first real speakers were the 4 Altec A-7s I built in woodshop (from the Altec technical drawings I bought) when I was in high school. I bought the Altec horns and crossovers and later used them for PA in my rock band.
    Last edited by genesound; 12-25-2002 at 10:07 PM.