Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Anybody have opened a hard drive?

Originally posted by JonathanB
    So... what would I do first? Inspect the logic board? If so burned, do I wait for a similar drive to get its logic board? If not burned, what's should be next? How do I make a clean room? The suggested bathroom he he... WHILE doing my morning discharge there he he... (just a joke).
    I remember reading an interesting article on hard drives on howstuffworks.com .... Hold on i'll just pull up a link.. Oh yes, read this it tells you everything you need to know about hard drives, and why not to open them :d

http://www.howstuffworks.com/hard-disk1.htm

Hope that helps

-->Bubbleflap

As most have already said, there is a great chance that the drive is cratered. Now, if you do decide it is totaled, there are some powerful magnets inside that are a "must" to remove if you total it. The arm that the heads rotate on has positioning magnets on them. In fact, the first couple of drives I stripped I did not notice the magnets because I thought it was a welded piece - it was held together by the intense magnetic field.
    These magnets are able to easily magnetize screwdrivers and such. Good luck but I would definately write this hard drive off!
    -etcm

This gives me a great idea. It would make a nice clock if you opened one, put in a clear window and small insert clock in the center of the platter. I certainly have enough junk here to try it. I have a collection of minature clocks with movements as small as 3/4 in. They would make great gifts for nerds.

More on those magnets can be found here:

http://www.dansdata.com/amazingmagnets.htm

the old 120Mb HD I opened after reading this page was a pain in the you-know-what to open!!!

If you want a non working hard drive to open and explore why not talk to IBM, I have heard they might have one or two

GOOD LUCK if you decide to open yours.
    Last edited by Asonic; 12-24-2002 at 03:50 PM.
    (sorry if my spelling is bad)

Hmmm..... I wonder if they have one from an old 1130 or 360. I would make a cool coffee table.

Well, if you really wanted to I guess you could open it up and try - but don't get particularly disappointed if you're left with a worthless jumble of once-electronics. Why don't you just go buy a new one? It's not like 8.4 GB is a particularly large capacity.

I opened two hard drives before - one for my own curiosity and one for my old boss's curiosity. Neither were particularly useful afterwards.

Jason

NO if you open it, simply it WONT WORK, SIMPLE AS THAT.

My clock is almost finished and I used a working harddrive. We shall see.

I'll post a picture.

Anybody want to put odds on it to work?
    Last edited by ukulele; 12-24-2002 at 06:59 PM.

I know I posted this earlier in this thread, but here it is again.

This guy opened up his hard drive so he could mod it with a window.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/article/72

I believe that article will describe how he did it. He says the hard drive is still working.

Oh... what a long funeral for a dead... drive. I may just keep it for a while and wait for another similar dead drive for its logic board. What a long wake...And thanks to you alllll.

Here is my clock. I fired it up with the cover off and it did still work even after getting dusted in my shop.

if the data is so important to u.. u can send it to a lab they only charge about 10,000$ for data recovery.... my father had a hd that had the mad buisness files on... they werent backed up becuz the os was pre-unix... the os he had didnt support bak up drives... if u need the data that bad u can always send it to a lab but me doubt its worth the money

10,000$ for data recovery
    I don't even have a small fraction of that he he...

Originally posted by ukulele
    Here is my clock. I fired it up with the cover off and it did still work even after getting dusted in my shop.

I like the clock!

Ultimate Member
    That's innovation right there. I'm still waiting to open my trashed 170mb IBM HDD. It has those whatchamacallit screws, the ones that compaq uses.