• 2.1 Speakers

32 32.00%
  • 4.1 Speakers

25 25.00%
  • 5.1 Speakers (Analog)

14 14.00%
  • 5.1 Speakers (Digital)

15 15.00%
  • 6.1 or Greater (O Ya I'm Better Than All Of You! :P )

2 2.00%
  • Don't Laugh... My Speakers Are Built Into My Computer.....

6 6.00%
  • Surround Sound Amp (Dolby Stereo/Prologic/Prologic II/Digital/DTS/etc.) + Many or Some Speakers

12 12.00%
  • Believe It Or Not, I Live My Life WithOut Meaningless Things (I'm Too Poor)

2 2.00%
  • Durr, like I'd Tell You!? (I'm Embrarassed To Say)

2 2.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Speakers

Originally posted by x51out
    70% gaming and 30% techno and trance. I need concussive bass, relatively sharp highs, at least not flat, and a mid-range that is not overpowering. I HATE with a passion flat sounding speakers. Also, I do alot of gaming with headphones, so often do speakers sound ****ty after headphones. Would be nice to be able to spend $400, but THAT aint gonna happen. Those $250 Creative Inspire 5700 are nice, very nice indeed. And probably exactly what I need?

Yeah they are great for trance, techno, acid, techhouse, trancehouse, acidhouse, etc... I went to best buy with my LA trance to acid cd and played it on the Z680s. It was fun to see the computer screen start flickering from the vibration

Even a high pitced singer isn't getting up on the spectrum... Most everything that hits the high end isn't the primary frequencies, but secondary ones which highlight the note. You can get that high with synths and such, though you wouldn't want to, because at high volumes with that as a primary sound, it can be very painful to the head.

But I agree with you on how to test the speakers, bring a few CD's of different types of music and play it, if you like it, buy it, if not look for another. That's one of the best ways there is. A speaker system WILL sound different in the store than it will in your home, but only for soundstaging mostly (which doesn't apply to me). If you get good soundstaging in the store, you'll get it at home, if it's iffy in the store, you might or might not get better results at home. Though you generally can return hardware, you just have to eat the tax.

I agree...

If it sounds Good in the Store, it'll usually sounds better at home, i've only heard from 2 freind of the opposite

but normally if the Sound doesn't sound good at the Store, it doesn't always mean it wont sound good in your house

Some speakers are made for small places and not wide amply rooms like the ones in Staple, or WalMart, usually most speakers sounds Good or Ok in smaller stores like Radio Shack and alikes

so those speakers that sounds good in Staple or WalMart willl usually sound even better at home

Which ones are you guys talking about?? Z-560's? Best Buys speaker display area is really pretty shabby, but
    CcompUSA's is pretty good. I'll have to go over there soon and test a bunch. NewEgg has some Z-560 for 135 bucks, but anyone know who specializes in good speaker deals?
    Last edited by x51out; 12-24-2002 at 06:19 PM.

Any Kind

but when i tested mines, i tried on Staple (Business Depot), and i rocked their roof to say the least

and they didn't say a thing cuz that's the way to sell speakers

i tested them on 2 places before i ordered

Staple and CompuSmart

it sounded goood considering the wide area the sound had to navigate through

cuz both were 2 large warehouses

Yep, test how loud they are (though don't go all the way up, as if you blow them by some odd reason and a salesman is nearby, you'll be purchasing it). Also don't play them loud if your CD of choice is Michael Bolton - play it VERY low.

I voted for the first choice since I do use those passive Infinity speakers when I need to listen to something really quietly (I don't have earphones) but otherwise my line out goes to a stereo with two Panasonic speakers, two Akai speakers, and my roommate's huge-assed subwoofer from his car. Can you say apartment parties

Originally posted by x51out
    Which ones are you guys talking about?? Z-560's? Best Buys speaker display area is really pretty shabby, but
    CcompUSA's is pretty good. I'll have to go over there soon and test a bunch. NewEgg has some Z-560 for 135 bucks, but anyone know who specializes in good speaker deals?

Yeah Best Buys speaker testing place is kinda shabby. Thats why you try to find a best buy that has the speakers connected to an actual computer(not having them all aligned up and you have to hit the button to switch between) because then you can have control of what kinda music you want it to play. I just love having 6 best buys within 30minutes of my house

"Passive Infinity Speakers" Umm, you sound a bit confused on the passive/active theory. There is no such thing as a speaker that is passive and works alone, those speaker require power - hence they are active, they just draw power from the mb or soundcard. You can then have passive speakers in a box with active speakers in them. In fact Infinity has a Sub Box with Active and Passive speakers combined. A Passive Speaker is just the cone and the surround, that is it. There is no coil, magnet, housing, wires running to it, etc. It's just designed to move with the movement of the active speaker, thus increasing the overall output of the subwoofer box (as your increasing the surface area that is moving while straining the magnet less than one would with a larger speaker to reach the same amount of volume, but it does require a stronger magnet assembly to work right).

Had no idea about these definitions. I just meant passive as in they don't have an on-speaker volume control or even an AC Adapter that would warrant one. Their only connection is to the sound output, but I never realized they would need power or draw it from there.

I never realized I was posting in the Gaming forum either First time here. Total non-gamer.

I'm using the Klipsch 5 spkr system...it rocks! But I still have my trusty Creative Labs 4 point surround on my second system.

sm8000: Think nothing of it, I wouldn't have known either had I not been and still am heavy into audio as a whole.

On the way home from work today, I stopped by a Best Buy and listened to a few sets. All Klipsch sounded a w e s o m e but were out of my pricerange. Of course, I was getting irritaded looks from other customers when I cranked up the Logitech Z-560's... hmmm, why do I love to irritate people? Anyhow, the BIGGEST suprise were the Logitech Z-640. Not the allmighty Z-680, but the "under $100" 5.1 set Z-640. I could get them at Newegg for $70, and they sounded absolutely fabulous (for the money, of course). I just installed my new Audigy 2 and I'm already craving new and improved speakers...

Bill will agree with you on that one

yes the Z-640 is a bargain for the money

but is not..."loud" not Sub enough for my taste

so for me is either the Z-680 or my current Z-560

The Z-560's had a brutal punch, and the bass was very pronounced and had a great crunch to it also, whereas the Z-640's bass was much mushier, but for the money they were just great anyway. I stood there for at least 30 minutes going from one set to the next and back again. I'd have to say that for $70 the Z-640's are awesome. In-store they are $99, and that is still good. Better than this joke of a setup I've got going on over here right now... old Yamaha M8's on the main channel, even older Midiland 4.1's on the rest and running all at 6.1, so it just speads the crappy sound around. Spreaded **** is still ****. Oh well, better than nada.