• 2.1 Speakers

32 32.00%
  • 4.1 Speakers

25 25.00%
  • 5.1 Speakers (Analog)

14 14.00%
  • 5.1 Speakers (Digital)

15 15.00%
  • 6.1 or Greater (O Ya I'm Better Than All Of You! :P )

2 2.00%
  • Don't Laugh... My Speakers Are Built Into My Computer.....

6 6.00%
  • Surround Sound Amp (Dolby Stereo/Prologic/Prologic II/Digital/DTS/etc.) + Many or Some Speakers

12 12.00%
  • Believe It Or Not, I Live My Life WithOut Meaningless Things (I'm Too Poor)

2 2.00%
  • Durr, like I'd Tell You!? (I'm Embrarassed To Say)

2 2.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Speakers

Love when threads branch off into different topics.

That would suck (in my opinion) having a lesser sound tracking.

Krazy: It's not lesser sound tracking, it is ZERO sound tracking. I can have someone who I KNOW is on my right tell me something and if I'm busy and not thinking, I'll turn to my left (which is the ear I hear out of) to respond. The brain also uses both ears when filtering out noise so you can hear someone speak in a noisy room. Missing that half means niether Omega or I can filter out sound. We also can't focus our hearing (a trick the brain plays on the sounds coming in which uses both ears and the time interval between them to focus in on a particular area) - this also comes to play mainly in smaller noisy areas (like a party) or large open areas (like a park).

We hear everything as it is actually sounding with our brain unable to step in and help out. Everything is given the same priority when it goes into the brain for signal analysis. The brain looks at one side, sees info, looks at the other and doesn't, thus it combines the two and you get no directional ability at all, no ability to focus your hearing, and no ability to filter out other noises, conversations, etc.

Oh, and Krazy, it does suck in my opinion as well, as I used to DJ (which is how I became deaf in one ear, one eardrum blew out and I had "bone" damage to the inner ear as well). I can't do that anymore - at least not with any ease and some serious concentration of keeping the other beat in my head while the one I'm synching is playing on the headset. Keeping track of two beats at once is a *****, even if you can hear one of them.

Going to get this one maybe for this Xmas

Logitech® Z-680

but currently using these

Logitech® Z-560

Altec Lansing 340-ACS

Many versions of Harman/Kardon
    and many many others

Originally posted by Someone Stupid
    Krazy: It's not lesser sound tracking, it is ZERO sound tracking. I can have someone who I KNOW is on my right tell me something and if I'm busy and not thinking, I'll turn to my left (which is the ear I hear out of) to respond. The brain also uses both ears when filtering out noise so you can hear someone speak in a noisy room. Missing that half means niether Omega or I can filter out sound. We also can't focus our hearing (a trick the brain plays on the sounds coming in which uses both ears and the time interval between them to focus in on a particular area) - this also comes to play mainly in smaller noisy areas (like a party) or large open areas (like a park).

We hear everything as it is actually sounding with our brain unable to step in and help out. Everything is given the same priority when it goes into the brain for signal analysis. The brain looks at one side, sees info, looks at the other and doesn't, thus it combines the two and you get no directional ability at all, no ability to focus your hearing, and no ability to filter out other noises, conversations, etc.

Oh, and Krazy, it does suck in my opinion as well, as I used to DJ (which is how I became deaf in one ear, one eardrum blew out and I had "bone" damage to the inner ear as well). I can't do that anymore - at least not with any ease and some serious concentration of keeping the other beat in my head while the one I'm synching is playing on the headset. Keeping track of two beats at once is a *****, even if you can hear one of them.
    man, i think ill keep my music quiet from now on

My setup is kinda weird. I took my stereo system and put it next to my comp. Then I got one of those tape deck converters and plugged it into my pc. IOW I am using my stereos speakers for my comp.

Optimus, I had about 140+ db behind me in speakers, and I had to have headphones which would play OVER that, so your safe more than likely. It's just with insulated headphones that operate at those high volumes it creates a pressure seal which strengthens the sound waves. A burst eardrum ****ing hurts to put it mildly. I'd have to press my earpiece against my shoulder to seal it enough to hear it well, thus really increasing the seal. Most amplifiers won't put out enough juice to get them up that high, only high end amplifiers and high quality mixers for tables will put out enough juice. You should be fine. You still run the chance of gradual hearing loss from loud noise being constantly played, but not an eardrum bursting, or the tiny bones breaking. My other ear is only about 50 to 75% what is normal. I still hear the full audio human range 15 to 20k (for most it's 15-30 through 15000 to 23000 IIRC from the doctor), (which is odd for hearing loss), but I just don't hear as well.

You should be fine, but if you start going "huh?" more often, turn the volume down.

Originally posted by AllGamer
    Going to get this one maybe for this Xmas

Logitech® Z-680

yeah i might get those and a new ipod now since I just got a new job working for my uncle, i start tommorrow

JVC Home theater Reciever. 12" Pioneer main speakers. 5" RCA bookshelf surround. I play UT and my neighbors think I'm having WW3 in my apartment.

Well i feel better as i've always had zero sound tracking and i see i'm not alone Right now i'm sitting here with a bandage on my left ear(i had surgery yesterday) to try and restore some of my hearing.............i'll know in a month or two.I have about 90% hearing loss in left and 60% in right.I have a soundblaster live gamer with 4 yamaha yst-m10 speakers and subwoofer and i really hate it when players sneak up behind me in bf1942 or blackhawk down..........so if ya see me playing online and i got my back to you,please tap me on the shoulder before you shoot!

I wish you the best on the surgery man. I'm unfortunate as I can't have my deaf ear restored, or the one I've lost hearing in restored either. Good luck.

Z-680's are $300odd, but do they s o u n d like $300? Klipsch makes serious 5.1's, guess it depends on the sound card, speaker placement, etc.
    Last edited by x51out; 12-22-2002 at 07:54 AM.

the Z-680 are sweet, but I cant fork over $300 at the moment either. AG, how good are the 560's? Recommended?

Originally posted by x51out
    Z-680's are $300odd, but do they s o u n d like $300? Klipsch makes serious 5.1's, guess it depends on the sound card, speaker placement, etc.

To me I think the Z680's sounded better than the Klipsch Promedia 5.1s. And they are $400 not $300(although you could search around the internet and find some for about $300)

I think the Klipsch bass is too weak for the amount of watts it has. The Klipsch bass couldn't even make my stomach rumble, but boy did those Z680s!

It's not the watts, it's the speaker's efficientcy. I used to db drag race (that didn't help my hearing either) and build systems for people as well for cash on the side. Box design plays into it as well, but wattage isn't everything when it comes to sound. 100 watts only produces a 3 db increase over 50 watts (with simple theories) - though some speakers gain effeciency with high wattage which they don't have with low wattages, thus produce more sound per watt if you can dump tons of watts into them. It's all very confusing and manufacturers of computer speakers at least, don't release those types of statistics at all - home and car audio manufacturers for the high end sometimes freely release them, sometimes you have to request them.

It isn't hard to make deep bass and have it loud, the problem is having it not be "one note bass" so to speak. That's very common in all but well setup car audio systems and high end computer (in most cases, I've heard some horrible bass from expensive systems in the past) and moderate priced home stereo systems. The bass only hits one frequency real well the rest of the lower bass end fades off dramatically, thus you just get that one note, or frequency really well, the rest isn't strong enough to make out a note.

Very good point about the bass. Another thing that has put me off in the past is treble that is flat or just hisses, but just doesn't get that clear, crisp sizzle going. I've been reading about the Logitech 560's/400W, and how it produces an awesome bass, but has a relatively flat treble. Anyone care to enlighten us? I have these on my maybe-purchase list, as they have dropped tremendously in price lately.