• 2.1 Speakers

32 32.00%
  • 4.1 Speakers

25 25.00%
  • 5.1 Speakers (Analog)

14 14.00%
  • 5.1 Speakers (Digital)

15 15.00%
  • 6.1 or Greater (O Ya I'm Better Than All Of You! :P )

2 2.00%
  • Don't Laugh... My Speakers Are Built Into My Computer.....

6 6.00%
  • Surround Sound Amp (Dolby Stereo/Prologic/Prologic II/Digital/DTS/etc.) + Many or Some Speakers

12 12.00%
  • Believe It Or Not, I Live My Life WithOut Meaningless Things (I'm Too Poor)

2 2.00%
  • Durr, like I'd Tell You!? (I'm Embrarassed To Say)

2 2.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Speakers

Speakers

This kinda goes with my soundcard poll but, What Type of speakers are you currently using?

I'm usin 2.1 and 4.1 speakers (@.1 on my old system, and 4.1 on my new)
    I used to use a Dolby Prologic Amp, with 7 speakers, then I thought it would be a novel idea to maybe hook my amp up to the TV. Then I put an old 230w Dolby Stereo Amp (oya, I said *Dolby*-> Stereo, old school) with 4 speakers. then relized I had money and got actual speakers designed for the computer.

I'm using 2.1 speakers. I would like to get the Logitech Z560s, but a bit pricey for me, still. Also, I have a deaf ear.

I have the Z-560s.

I got mine for $130 with shipping - they're not that pricey for what they are.
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

I have a set of Boston Accoustics full towers with a 13 tube amp (250 watts RMS x 2). Tubes are selectable for which is on and which one's aren't (3 different types of tubes). Picked it up at a pawn shop. Had to replace most of the tubes as it looked like it had been dropped. Made in 1992 by E..... The rest broke off. Knowing the cost of a similar tube amp that was limited editioned by another company, I knew that the price I was getting that amp for was a steal. I could care less if the frame is bent a bit. Everything works and it sounds great. I'm like Omega, I'm deaf in one ear, so anything above 2 speakers is useless (even have 2 is one two many - we are unable to track sound sources). EAX 1.0 (though 2.0 I'm fine with) screwed me up for the first few minutes of each game as my ear adjusted to the phase changes it created, I don't know if Omega had the same experience, if he did, he knows it is disorienting to say the least. My sound card (since I use my computer as my CD player) is a Creative Audigy Platinum eX. Needed something that had great signal to noise ratio, sounded good, and would work with games. Many professional sound cards won't, or are fishy with games from what I've been told.

I guess my vote would have to go with the external amp, even though it isn't Dolby at all - though 2.1 analogue is close - just my woofers are built into the towers.

Gone
    5.1 100watt altec lansing! 5.1 digi and analog compat. Come-on guys. Im the only one so far with 5.1 here.???

Ultimate Member
    A good quality set of stereo speakers - i dont need anymore, the compos in the tiny tiny spare room

--Jakk

i have 2 sony not so crappy *** **** speakers, and i have an analog cable that i connect to my sony stereo system wich happens to be 120 RMS x 2 so i have the teo tiny speakers with pump out 10 watts each and basically they take care of my highs and a little of the mid and the stereo speakers that i have nailed to the top side of my roof looking down at me....playing WarCraft 3 is just amazing i don't need no 5.1 4.1 computer speakers when ive got these.

You need 4.1+ on a home theatre, but I've never understood using them on a computer. I love fragging as much as anyone, but the yamaha 2.1's punch out great bass, good stereo and emerse me in a game.

Next time I'm out at an electronics shop I'll give surround a go on a gaming system (if they even have one set up). Maybe it will be so good it will change my mind.

Originally posted by Giblet Plus!
    I have the Z-560s.

I got mine for $130 with shipping - they're not that pricey for what they are.
    How does your comp jack into the 560's control module? Are there 1/8" cables that go from the speaker outputs of the sound card to inputs on the module? Or something else?

Using Labtec Pulse-90s 2.1, and they are **** LOUD.

CS, Q3, and MOHAA sounds absolutely wicked on them!

Logan

Right now I am useing Boston 2.1 speakers. They are good for being only 30watts. But i am not voting yet because i don't know if i am going to get the Z560's or Z680's yet

Originally posted by Someone Stupid
    I'm like Omega, I'm deaf in one ear, so anything above 2 speakers is useless (even have 2 is one two many - we are unable to track sound sources). EAX 1.0 (though 2.0 I'm fine with) screwed me up for the first few minutes of each game as my ear adjusted to the phase changes it created, I don't know if Omega had the same experience, if he did, he knows it is disorienting to say the least.
    Ahh, someone who knows my situation.

It takes longer to track the sound sources, if we can at all. I especially hate it when people yell to me from a distance. I end up looking in all directions and the person thinks I'm some sort of nut.

Omega: You do that too as well. Glad I wasn't the only one. "Over here! No, over here!" Don't you find it awkward when you have to lean in towards someone to hear them talk, I have to tell them I'm deaf so they don't think I'm gay if they don't know me. I'm deaf in my right ear, so driving in the car is a *****, as I never hear anybody, and they always think I can hear them, even though I tell them I can't.

Then in deathmatches it's always fun when tracers are off and someone is shooting wildly at you and finally kills you and says that "ur gay" "you didnt know where I was, u suck" Then I tell them, "(insert idiot's name here) I'm ****ing deaf dumbass!" They usually shut up really quickly, sometimes they start becoming targets themselves (as you start seeing them being killed every other kill basically - even TK's at times) as everyone was reading him gloating. I just say deaf, as explaining to half the people that having one hear means you can't tell where a sound is coming from would probably fry a few of their little minds. So while annoying, it does make it humourous when you turn someone else into a huge walking bullseye that people actually want to kill because it gives them a feel good feeling.

I've had some people say if I was dodging blind shots and they knew I was deaf, "SS, (ur left, right, etc)" - just so I have some clue as to which way to go to get out of their LOS, or to return fire. Sometimes they won't even fire on me, and I find that out after stumbling dead into their rifle and get a "lol." So I generally try not to go for them since they aren't going for me when they have a clear advantage. That's a rare courtesy though (very rare)... generally though, those are the very good players who rack up kills anyways, which speaks highly of how they got the kills, skill, not just cheating away - the avg player will still mow me down without the slightest warning but I'm not expecting anyone to tell me where they are or treat me differently. Even with games with tracers, they fly by so fast, if at certain angles, it's hard to tell just where the shots are coming from - nothing like sound does (I know, I used to be able to hear out of both ears). So I just say something when they gloat like asses I feel obliged to say something so they feel like how they acted.
    Last edited by Someone Stupid; 12-17-2002 at 09:45 PM.

What's bad is I can't follow a group conversation in a noisy room. If I'm in the middle of the group, I miss half the conversation. I try to get to the right of every person, since it's my right ear that's deaf. I do the lean, too. It's very awkward.