• 2.1 Speakers

32 32.00%
  • 4.1 Speakers

25 25.00%
  • 5.1 Speakers (Analog)

14 14.00%
  • 5.1 Speakers (Digital)

15 15.00%
  • 6.1 or Greater (O Ya I'm Better Than All Of You! :P )

2 2.00%
  • Don't Laugh... My Speakers Are Built Into My Computer.....

6 6.00%
  • Surround Sound Amp (Dolby Stereo/Prologic/Prologic II/Digital/DTS/etc.) + Many or Some Speakers

12 12.00%
  • Believe It Or Not, I Live My Life WithOut Meaningless Things (I'm Too Poor)

2 2.00%
  • Durr, like I'd Tell You!? (I'm Embrarassed To Say)

2 2.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Speakers

Yes Indeed the Klipsch spearker are awesome, I listen to music on my pc now instead of on my home stereo. They are a bit pricey, but I was able to afford it now. sides these will stay with me for a long time.

Gone
    Yep, active passive combo's in subs play another important part. They DONT help move any air quite the opposite. They (passive)allow the active speaker to be driven harder without over or hyper as its called extending the speakers throw and ruining the coil. the cushion of air is trapped by being sealed between the two speakers and makes a sort of spring effect. Me Im a fan of Isoberic "push-pull" down firing subs. Have built them and wow! You just reverse wire the one sub so that when one pushes the other pulls at the same time hence allowing a snapier tighter bass responce. Both are "active" in isoberic setups though. Liek this. This is in parallel but works in series too. Great thumps and high watts are in this setup. With no "pops" and very snappy bass responce.
    You guys wanna really delve into speaker setups head units and theorys check out my other "home"
    www.diyaudio.com
    Youll love it if your a hifi buff. Peace.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by $1500-P4 gamer; 12-27-2002 at 07:12 AM.

Yes I can vote now! Just got me some nice new Logitech Z680 surround sound speakers!

I haven't even heard of an Isoberic setup for home audio, I've done it in one car system, running them in series so they don't overpressure each other more than they already are. Really it's something to use if your REALLY tight for space and have tons of speakers, wattage, and cash to throw around. They aren't the easiest of setups to get running well, as you have to have the wire leads from the first speaker as short as possible to the second one - if they are too long you'll lose some of the output. They have different types of isoberic chambers as well. I've done another which had one sealed box playing into a ported box (bandpass basically), but with a speaker in the bandpass section as well. Those ran best when ran in parellel, they lost a few diecibals when topping out in a series config.

P4 - thanks for the link, I lost that link a long time ago, never did find it again, though I didnt' need it, maybe that's why I didn't bother with google to go grab it. Now I need to go look at the latest theories and such. More homework.

On this side of Heaven we use the Monsoon MH-505.

Jees I dunno how you guys with speakers built into your computer can stand them, the partially deaf or not, the sound from crapppy speakers like those sound so hollow...

Originally posted by Bizkitkid2001
    Yes I can vote now! Just got me some nice new Logitech Z680 surround sound speakers!
    Just picked up the 560's from Best Buy myself. Unbelievable. What I find interesting is that I have B&W speakers, polk speakers, and dahlquist speakers that cost a **** load more and didn't have the THX cert. But, they are dandy. The 680's were VERY nice, but couldn't spend the extra $ on for the center channel.

It's funny that this thread started because I just upgraded my speakers to Altec lansing ATP3 speakers. They sound pretty good. I'm using a setup with the speakers I just got (2.1) and good existing Labtec 2 pc. speakers for a total of 4.1. I didn't want to buy a whole 4.1 setup as I bought those Labtec's like 6 months ago and they are quite good. The only thing that sucks is I have to turn on two pairs of speakers and independantly adjust the volume between them. My other comp. got my old speakers, a 2.1 setup with cheap 2 pc. speakers and a universal Sub. from Labtec which is no longer made.

Yeah, and I also went with something a little more "low-end" (what ever that means), the Creative Inspire 6600 6.1 , they sound awesome though for $130... hmm.

Originally posted by AdamP
    It's funny that this thread started because I just upgraded my speakers to Altec lansing ATP3 speakers.
    Is that why I started this thread?

They don't have it because you have to PAY for the certification. It really isn't the sound quality as much as it is paying for the liscence. Granted, it has to meet certain criteria, but they aren't for sound accuracy. THX is just a marketting gimmick. Plenty of speakers sound far better and are far more flat (which is good, as the sound is even, thus more precise across the spectrum) yet they aren't THX certified as the manufacturer didn't pay for it, nor were they willing to knock the bass up 3 to 6db over the rest of the system which is a requirement for THX - the bass has to be really loud compared to everything else. THX is only good for home theater, as that's what theaters use. For music, THX certification is garbage.

i use 4.1 speakers... they're really nice, about $300? or so... might be less today. they have been working for like 3 years, and i still get good quality out of them, boston made them, nice subwoofer but 4.1 is the best choice to go with for now, along with sound blaster live or better...

Boston speakers are really nice. My old speakers were a three peice boston 2.1 with subwoofer. 30watts total, but that little subwoofer had some kick for only being 15watts. Since I got my new speakers, I gave the bostons to my mom to hook up to her computer, and they still work great, even though they are 6 years old.

would you say that boston speakers are some of the best quality speakers?

I would say they are one of the best, not the best, but they are very good. Do they have a 5.1 setup? I thought they only did 2.1 for computers?