Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: ATi Radeon 9700 Pro + FSB @ 166 MHz = ????

Banned

ATi Radeon 9700 Pro + FSB @ 166 MHz = ????

Okay, gentlemen. I would like your opinion on this. I have an ATi Radeon 9700 Pro (I know I've said this a thousand times before but...) and would like to overclock my mobo's FSB to 166 MHz with aggressive, and I repeat, AGGRESSIVE memory timings. My current CPU temperature on my EP-8K5A3+ mobo is reading at 45.5 degrees C (I am using Innovatek's InnovaSET2 Socket 462 watercooling kit... Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0 GHz @ 2.25 GHz... current FSB = 150... CPU multiplier = 15... 150 x 15 = 2250). I'm going to get the EP-8RDA+, which is based on the nForce 2 chipset. It's already confirmed that I'll be receiving in the mail two 100 GB HDDs from WD (both have 8 MB of ca$h). Now... when we (me and causticVapor) tried to OC the CPU (to 166 MHz FSB) on my current mobo, it says that an .INF file (or another system file of that sort) is corrupted. I know that I'll be getting better HDDs, as I've mentioned before. And so, I think the HDDs won't be a problem anymore. Now... my main concern is the Radeon 9700 Pro. Rumors have been going around that it does not like OCing. Is this true and can I be able to overclock my FSB on an nForce 2 chipset? I would greatly appreciate it.

============================
    General Hideki Tojo
    Prime Minister, Japan
    His Majesty's Imperial Japanese Army
    Last edited by Gen_Hideki_Tojo; 12-15-2002 at 10:32 AM.

Ultimate Member
    Tojo, as I've said your problem is not your FSB speed, it's the CPU. It doesn't like running at that high clock speed, and thus the "INF file is corrupted." If your AGP bus were running at 83MHz with 166FSB, then trust me, the thing wouldn't even boot.

You'll (or I'll) need to unlock your CPU by connecting the fifth L3 bridge on your CPU.

Your mobo has dividers for 333 FSB, and if you want to get an nForce2 board, you'll need another 512MB XMS3200 stick in order to run in dual-channel mode.

Banned
    If I get the A7N8X, then we don't need to unlock the CPU, right?

Banned
    I've been considering ASUS's A7N8X. I heard it beats the 8RDA+.

Banned
    I heard that with nForce 2 mobos, you can lock the AGP frequency so that the FSB won't affect the graphics card. Is this true? I mean, will overclocking the FSB affect my Radeon 9700 Pro, dude?

Ultimate Member
    Most KT400 and nForce2 boards are engineered to unlock the T-Bred-B multiplier automatically. The ASUS A7N8X will perform better at stock speeds, but won't OC as high as the 8-RDA+. It also has a much richer feature set.

It also costs about $50 more.

Both the 8-RDA+ and A7N8X lock the PCI and AGP cardbusses at their native 33/66MHz, irrespective of FSB speed.

Banned
    What do you think about it?

Banned
    I mean, do you think it's a great buy? (It has 2 onboard NICs but no ATA RAID, only SATA.)

Ultimate Member
    The 8-RDA+ IMO is a more wallet-conscious item.

But if you want the onboard sound and SATA goodies, coupled with 2 NICs and so on, go for the A7N8x.

Personally, I would invest in the innovaset.

Banned
    I was thinking of convincing "big man" to buy my 8K5A3+. BTW, Roy bought my Compaq monitor for $120.

Banned
    Log on to Windows Messenger, dude.

Ultimate Member
    Congrats on the sale. I'm sure he'll like that monitor.

BTW I'll take your case, but not at a price.

Get the A7N8X -- BUT REMEMBER, YOU NEED ANOTHER DIMM

SAME SPEED, SAME SIZE!

Banned
    I was also thinking about buying the WinTV PVR 250 from Directron. It's a TV tuner/capturing PCI card. I think it's worth it. (I would like to record those Iron Chef episodes.)

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Gen_Hideki_Tojo
    Log on to Windows Messenger, dude.
    Stop posting like a mother****er!

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Gen_Hideki_Tojo
    I was also thinking about buying the WinTV PVR 250 from Directron. It's a TV tuner/capturing PCI card. I think it's worth it. (I would like to record those Iron Chef episodes.)
    Personally, i'd get the all-in-wonder Radeon 9700 Pro.