Thread: firewall

firewall

I have an old computer that I would like to use as a firewall. I don't know where to begin. Could someone steer me in the right direction?
    Beware the vengeance of a patient man

I am assuming that you want your internet access going through the firewall to other pc's on your network.

I am assuming again that you have more than three pc's (1 firewall and 2 hosts)

Set your firewall PC up for internet access as usual.

Then the PC's on your network:
    Have these networked to your firewall pc, using IPX/SPX
    (if i am wrong,- Someone please correct me )

Share your modem on the network using the port settings (from your firewall pc) and put these into the settings for the shared modem on all the network pc's

I would suggest using a hub-connect all ur pc's into the hub before it connects to your firewall ( This would be faster than all your pc's sharing the one cable.

I hope this is of help to you.

Ken

Thanks Ken,
    You assumed correctly. What software should I use?
    Beware the vengeance of a patient man

you mean just a windows workstation? what OS do you plan on using?

it would be way easier to use ICS to create your network gateway. you would need 2 nics in the system, then enable internet connection sharing on the nic connected to your adsl/cable. your second nic would automatically get an IP of 192.168.1.1. Just set your other computer to obtain an IP automatically. no need for ipx/spx in this scenario.

install your firewall software on the ICS host. I like ZoneAlarm, but you can check out the other software firewalls here:

http://www.firewallguide.com/

Re: firewall

Originally posted by durock
    I have an old computer that I would like to use as a firewall. I don't know where to begin. Could someone steer me in the right direction?
    This is actually the BEST of All of them http://www.linuxrouter.org/

www.gnatbox.com, www.freesco.org, www.smoothwall.co.uk
    All pretty good, gnatbox was my first, not bad but didn't get to grips with setting up correctly. Freesco, my first success and while running with a modem brilliant. Now running Smoothwall GPL on ADSL and is so simple to set up with a great front end interface from Windows and easy to manage. If you intend to play around with VPns or online gaming these add to the complexity as you need to begin opening ports for access, take care not to inadvertently leave your defences down.