Thread: Your Opinion on Linux Mandrake 9

Your Opinion on Linux Mandrake 9

I just wanted to your opinion on Linux Mandrake 9. Since I replaced one of my OS (win98) and wanted to try Linux, But in my opinion I found it to be poorly organized and not very user fiendly, And very confusing on what console was what, And most of all SSSLLLOOOOWWWWWW!!! I had it on an AMD K6-2 500 with 394 Megs of ram and a VooDoo 3 3000 AGP and a 4.3 gig Seagate UMDA 66. I have noticed the star office programs didnt start and users and passwords would work 1 time and the other when I returned would not start saying the ptmp and gtmp files were present and had to delete them to get the user and password to work.

I am still deciding if I should to continue to work with linux or give it up.

Please let me know your opinions on Mandrake!!

suzuki1
    Last edited by suzuki1; 12-09-2002 at 10:13 PM.

I had a user in my LUG who was using Mandrake 9. I don't really like it, but maybe that's because I'm a no GUI guy (Slackware & Debian user. I like basic GUI like Fluxbox, and do most stuff from CLI). Edit the number of services that load on startup (only load what you need, and don't over do it), dont use KDE (use Gnome, or something lighter like Window Maker, Fluxbox, or Enlightenment), and....well those are the two main things. Try those first and let us know if you're still having problems.
    This will all be over before you can say Cat in a Hat.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I recently converted 4 of my home systems to Mandrake 9.0 with KDE3 desktops.

I run the SETI command line client and it FLIES compared to Windows.

The overall system is so different from Windows that it can be overwelming to get up to speed. I am going to stick with it until I pick up more for my own experience.

Ultimate Member
    Im a newbie to Linux but it was a joy to setup and get sorted, all devices worjk on it bar my cable modem, but i can run that through an NIC, of course if your a hardcore gamer your prolly best keeping win on the HDD somwhere, other than that though - very good

--Jakk

Personally I like it. As for organized, it's not windows. The learning curve is way different. But as I start to figure it out and actually read the instructions I'm fine with it. I think as long as Mr. Gates doesnt get his way and become the only kid in the neighborhood with the ball, Linux will develop into a quite nooB user friendly OS.
    The beautiful thing about it is the world is getting a chance to help develop it, and not some troll Bill has locked up in his dungeon.