Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: KyroII + Pentium III 866 (o'ced to 871) = Kick, uh, TNT2M64

KyroII + Pentium III 866 (o'ced to 871) = Kick, uh, TNT2M64

I found a home for my Hercules Prophet 4500.

My brother asked the other day for a newfangled 'pc hardware lesson'. What more opportune time to 1. help my family and 2. find a computer to use my Kyro II on.

First I benchmarked the TnT2m64 that was in there. The results were an astounding 913! w00t!!!! Results can be found here:
    http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=5278243

I knew the Kyro could do better than that, so I gave him his 'lesson' he asked for (to me, elementary, to him, well, not...). We popped out the Vanta POS, dropped in the Prophet, configured the thing, ran 3dmark2k1se (not build 330, though). The results can be found here:
    http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=5278709

Woohoo! 1669!!! That's a whopping 82.8% increase in video performance!

I'm mostly cheery to know that I didn't ESD that card a few months back....

Anyone care to debate whether or not 3dmark 2k1 should even be relevant when dealing with the Kyro's tile-based rendering scheme?

chau,
    ßeeßle 'it's a relavite ting' Qµix

edit: yes, my "o'ced to 871" is mostly a pun; satire is fun
    Last edited by Beeblequix; 12-09-2002 at 02:21 PM.
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

Banned
    Why don't you get a very powerful system that is similar to yours for your brother? Look, when I got an Athlon XP 2400+ with an ATi Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card, I decided to get my brother the same CPU and a mobo that's better than mine (although he uses the inferior GeForce 4 Ti 4200, but what the heck?) Money is not an issue when it comes to love, you know.

=============================
    General Hideki Tojo,
    Prime Minister, Japan
    His Majesty's Imperial Japanese Army

Money is when you're not made of it...

You know, if I did have the money I'd give him my hand me down 2200+ & Geforce 4ti4600 and get myself a new *whatever's-better-at-the-time* . But as Mr. Wolverine *sic* has pointed out, I'm a tad shy of being made of money.

And that pc does fine for him and my family. He's far too busy in college for gaming. And actually that card doesn't do too bad. I got twice the fps in Q3 with that than my Geforce256 back in the day. I've been the computer-geek-in-charge of computers for my family since 1984. They've purchased every single one I recommended. Some were mistakes, others not. I'm more interested in them getting the right product for them. It wouldn't be the right product for you or I, but hey, we're all individuals.

NEWSFLASH....
    My Kyro has officially *STOMPED* the LOWEST 3Dmark score on Madonion, coincidentally happens to be a KyroII in a CompaQ!!! That's right, you heard it here first.
    You've GOT to compare your score to this poor schlumb:
    http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4519737

ß.Q.
    George Orwell

Wow! 27 3dmarks!

Originally posted by omega31
    Wow! 27 3dmarks!
    Back when I still had my Rage Pro and k6/2 in my 2nd computer, I think I could have got less.

(only if I used the official Ati drivers)

I got a whopping 10 fps in Q3 at 320 x 240 with everything set to the minumums on that beastly computer.
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

thats.. um... pathetic... to say the least.. 0.1FPS average in most tests

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Giblet Plus!

Back when I still had my Rage Pro and k6/2 in my 2nd computer, I think I could have got less.

(only if I used the official Ati drivers)

I got a whopping 10 fps in Q3 at 320 x 240 with everything set to the minumums on that beastly computer.
    Dude, you're kidding, neither the K6-2 550 nor Rage Pro were that slow... maybe 200 but not 20

Unless you had it unoptimized

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Gen_Hideki_Tojo
    Why don't you get a very powerful system that is similar to yours for your brother? Look, when I got an Athlon XP 2400+ with an ATi Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card, I decided to get my brother the same CPU and a mobo that's better than mine (although he uses the inferior GeForce 4 Ti 4200, but what the heck?) Money is not an issue when it comes to love, you know.

=============================
    General Hideki Tojo,
    Prime Minister, Japan
    His Majesty's Imperial Japanese Army
    Dude, did you not even realize this entire thread was encapsulated as a joke about you?

ED - Not made of money either, I'm just a penny-pincher, otherwise I would've gotten the 2800+ they had available as a discrete item...
    Last edited by causticVapor; 12-10-2002 at 12:14 PM.

well CV, it's presented in a satiristic fashion, so you're on to that, and that's good. But everything inside is 100% real. I guess the best form of humor contains those tounge-in-cheek bits o' truth.

I'm actually thinking about sabotaging my settings to see exactly how bad bad can be. I know that if I set my AGP aperature way too low (like OFF ) my score will fall in a big way. Yeah, I've a new project on my hands.

ß.Q.

as far as hard feelings, I can't afford to hold on to any more, so peace out, p33ps.
    George Orwell

Originally posted by causticVapor

Dude, you're kidding, neither the K6-2 550 nor Rage Pro were that slow... maybe 200 but not 20

Unless you had it unoptimized
    Ati's drivers for that card unoptimized whatever small amount of performance it had. We're talking about voodoo banshee level performance, mind you. That, coupled with a crappy Ali chipset, could get under 200 marks, easily.

Originally posted by causticVapor

Ah, maybe you're right.

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=5267564

It seemed even slower than that, though.

Hey Giblet,

Drop your fsb down to 66Mhz if you can. You'll get 1/3 less performance maybe....

I tried to untweak everything but my XP partition would not even boot up. :shocked: I didn't want to have a recitivistic-end-of-November-experience that I did have which launched me into this triple OS rig.

I'll have to visit the folks in a couple o' days and sabotage *their* comp.

bEEbLe MUHAHAHAHAHA qUiX
    George Orwell

Ultimate Member
    I'd say just put a GF2 MX in there and watch 3dmark performance triple. I had a celeron 400, and put an MX400/64MB in there, and the score went from 200-ish to 600-ish.

Wonder what score you would get with a mach64/32 pci

Ultimate Member
    Heh, LOL, if I hadn't pushed him he would have let his bro get the crappy compaq PII-350.