Thread: Mixing Memory Brands

Mixing Memory Brands

If you buy good quality brands of DDR memory (Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, etc.), is it OK to use a mix of brands in a single system?

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    If your going to buy a brand then buy all the same if your adding extra should work at the least if they don't get along you still have something that works.

It's probably better to use all the same. But sometimes, I mix and match.
    TheGreatRaymond@sbcglobal.net
    Please indicate you are from SysOpt in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam

Ultimate Member
    Ive always kept mine the same brand - cut down on chances of iut not working

--Jakk

there is nothing wrong with you mixing up your brands, but you might have problems on the mobo being picky on what it takes, or you will have the memory run at the lowest speed that you have installed if you mix the speeds.

If I have pairs, I'll put nothing but pairs, just to minimize that chances, that's why instad of just poping in another stick of pc100 on my sister's iMac, I just took out the one she had in it and added two 64mb pc100 from ibm

---------------------------------------------------------
    Gawd I hate iMacs especially pink ones
    ----------------------------------------------------------

It is always a good idea to get the same brand of memory because manufacturers have different methods of testing their memory for compliance and they all have slight differences which could or could not be a factor when mixing memory and whether they would work together or not!

In general, look at what the mobo manual recommends and get a least what is suggested! Also, make sure that they are of the same speed and CAS level-i.e. CAS 2.0, CAS 2.5 or CAS 3.0 and also same single-sided or double-sided which is sometimes determined by the mobo and BIOS on the system! Those are just some of the things to look for!

But if you want to mix and match, then be prepared to a least spend some time to make sure that they work together well or not-i.e. using memory testing software to see that it runs well together w/o lockups or memory read failures! Good luck.

I always mix and match... havnt had a problem yet and I buy the cheap stuff
    Experience OUTLaW