Thread: HD Not Found

HD Not Found

OK guys...I turned on my computer this morning and had a floppy in the A drive. I got an error about a non-system disk. I removed the disk and then got an error saying to insert the Windows setup disk. When I put the 98 disk in I got another message saying 98 couldn't be installed and suggested I create a boot partition using DOS. When I tried restarting my computer I just got a message instructing me to insert the setup disk. Then a message saying I don't have a hard drive or it my be having trouble. My BIOS doesn't recognize the HD either. I have checked all the connections on the HD to the motherboard. The A drive and CD is working fine. I can hear the HD spinning and beeping.

The computer worked fine last night. Could I have gotten a virus? The only wierd thing I did was disconnect the printer cable before I started the computer. Thanks for your help.

set the bios to auto detect. make sure the ide cables are secure. check the controller board on the bottom of the drive and see if there is any damage. I have seen bad chips on the drive controller before.

Intimate Member

Re: HD Not Found

Originally posted by Blindtech
    OK guys...I turned on my computer this morning and had a floppy in the A drive.
    What was/is on that disk?...the worst virus I ever got was on a dang diskette my bro-in-law put in the drive for him to check later on, and forgot it...when I started the boot, it wiped out the boot record or whatever its called where the data is to boot from on the hard drive.

Try booting from a clean floppy and running FDISK /MBR. Maybe then run SYS C: .

You should scan the drive aggressively for virii afterward. Newer Norton CDs allow you to boot from them and scan.
    MS MCP, MCSE

the only way a floppy disk is gonna cause all this much trouble is a serious virus. what ever you downloaded and sent/saved to the floppy disk caused all this.

You got a lot of work ahead
    its hard to soar with eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys

I have followed all your suggestions to no avail. I also scanned the floppy that was in the A drive when I first stated the computer. It was not infected with a virus.

This is what I get so far:

W98 dected drive C contains no valid FAT or FAT 32 partition.

When I run FDISK it says "no fixed disk present"

When I put in my Norton Resuce Disk it says: Following file is missing or corrupted B:\Windows\HIMEM.sys and B:\Windows\IFSHLP.sys. It then asks me to type the name of the Command Interpreter

I can now get a C:\ prompt. When I run CHKDISK I get:

Volume MS-RAMDRIVE

2,091,008 bytes total disk space
    603,136 bytes in 15 user files
    1,487,872 bytes available on disk
    1,025 each allocation unit
    2,o42 total allocation on disk
    1,453 availaibe allocation units on disk
    655,360 total bytes memory
    564,208 bytes free

Thanks for all your help.

Your hard drive is not being seen at all by Windows. Is it being detected by the BIOS? Go into BIOS setup and see. Sometimes, you can just set BIOS to defaults and fix this.

If not, I would assume that the hard drive has died. It does happen.

Open the case and check the hard drive power connection and both ends of the IDE cable.
    MS MCP, MCSE

The HD is not being detected by the BIOS and all the cables are secure...Any other suggestions???? I am desperate!

The drive is toast, I'm afraid.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Is there any way to retieve any of the data?

You will have to pay someone to take it apart and do so - about $500 and up.

Before we write the euligy, try replacing the IDE cable and clearing CMOS.
    MS MCP, MCSE

The thick cable tape was pushed right up against the bottom of the hard drive when I opened the computer. I don't see any damage to the tape but I wonder if that could have something to do with my problems.

How do I clear the COMS? Is the IDE cable the thick cable or the one for the five pins?

Thanks again...

The easiest way to clear CMOS is to unplug the PC and pull the battery for a few minutes. The 4-pin cable is power and the wide ribbon cable is data. Try another ribbon cable and plug in another power connector.
    MS MCP, MCSE