Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pet peeves anybody!?!

Intimate Member

Pet peeves anybody!?!

You gotta pet peeve you need to get off your chest? maybe here at the forums, or elsewhere?...nows the time!

My pet peeve is member spelling here at SysOpt (and elsewhere too).

Now, don't get me wrong, I ain't criticizing (had to get the dictionary for that one)...and I realize we have many good members here from countries that do not use English in their daily lives, and they are to be commended for their great efforts anyway. (some speak/spell much better than we do.)

Here is where I am coming from..I can't imagine what in the %#$!?%# our schools here in the US are teaching today....it certainly does not appear to have anything to do with spelling.

When I went to school...a long time ago...a very long time ago (1940s era) the schools taught the three Rs with a vengeance! (another looked up word) You either passed those three, or you repeated the grade until you did...I repeated a grade because of this policy...methinks today, its just attending the school on a simi-daily basis is all that is necessary.

My own kids got off with lesser 'education' than I had to achieve...sure, their abilities in some areas may be more profound, but their spelling, math and writing abilities stink!

As I read here at the forums, I get confused at times as to exactly what the person is asking...you sure can't make it out from the way some of the words are spelled.

Now, all that said, I will be the first to admit...I can't spell worth a ****!!, but I do keep a dictionary right at hand..I also have a dictionary application on this machine, and use it each time I post...I still make spelling errors...bad eyes, and being a non typest will cause that...an h for a k, or maybe an R for a P...ect...and sometimes, I am in a hurry and just do not recheck questionable word spelling.

If we...as Americans need to show the whole dang world, how good we are...and come here and write a bunch of garbage that tells everybody that we are flunking our schools, what are we actually telling the world?...I really hate to contemplate what our friends elsewhere think of us....not to mention our adversaries.

Come on guys...being able to speak the language, write the language...correctly, and understand the meaning of the words we use every day, will get you farther up the corporate ladder than the wall paper you will hopefully have some day on the wall of your office.

i dun' knuw wutcha talkin' 'bout..

yeah, some people... ok, most people can't spell.

but from where i come from, you can't spell .

Awwww, come on Bovon. Don't you enjoy the little rascals methodology of spelling here at sysopt ?.Gon fishun

Intimate Member
    Originally posted by bushmaster
    Awwww, come on Bovon. Don't you enjoy the little rascals methodology of spelling here at sysopt ?.Gon fishun
    Sure I do...when its obvious that the writer knows better, making fun of something, or just screwing around with some text. What gets me is, we are losing our pride when we allow everybody in the world to know we can't spell, and simply don't give a ****!!

Originally posted by Bovon
    Sho'nuff ah do...when its obvious thet th' writer knows better, makin' fun of sumpin, o' jest screwin' aroun' wif some text. Whut in tarnation gits me is, we is losin' our pride when we aller ev'rybody in th' wo'ld t'knows we kin't spell, an' simply doesn't give a ****! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah hide!

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
    http://rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectt.cgi

I generally type most things in Word first...

LOL! Good Link Steve:

Sho' man ah' do. 'S coo', bro...when its obvious dat da **** scribbler knows better, makin' fun uh sump'n, o' plum screwin' around wid some text. Man! Whut digs me is, we is losin' our pride when we allow everybody in de wo'ld t'know we kin't spell, and simply duzn't cut a ****! Preach it loud, bruddah!

Preach it loud, bruddah!
    Preach it loud, bruddah!

Sure I do...wen its obvious that the chuffin' writer knows better, makin' fun of sumfink, or just screwin' 'round wiv some text. Wot gets me is, we are losin' us pride wen we allow evry bloke in the chuffin' world ter know we can't spell, and simply don't give a ****! Struth!!

struth? thats bloody aussie not cockney! .

Well, if'in ya don't know no R's then dag nabbit ya shunt' be preachin' ta folks that don't know neither. If'in however you's an educated hillbilly then ya dang sure could get a goverment job and set things right.

You gotta pet peeve you need to get off your chest? maybe here at the forums, or elsewhere?...nows the time!
    O.K. if you insist. Turn signals. Its the lever on the left. Use them . For signalling, not right of way.
    Thanks, Bovon for the soapbox.

Tarp

On that note...
    Car Horns. Honk them only when it actually serves a purpose. Please. Before I get outta this car and (*&(&*^(*&^(*^%

Intimate Member
    Originally posted by Steve R Jones
    Sorry. Couldn't resist.
    LOL

Originally posted by TARP2
    O.K. if you insist. Turn signals. Its the lever on the left. Use them . For signalling, not right of way.
    Two-in-one: I see people all the time cruising a block or more with their turn signal left ON. It annoys me as a pedestrian because I can't be sure if they're signalling early, or they forgot to flip the lever back off because they're too deafened by the monosyllabic bass-laden music crashing out their speakers to hear the little turn signal 'clicker' going.
    -- Sharky
    Overclock Results: http://www.sysopt.com/cgi-bin/overc/readfull.cgi?record=12574
    Currently using Inspiron 9100 and Latitude CPxj

You know what is my pet peeve?

When people criticize others for poor spelling. I am sure you never took the time to think that person may have a serious problem like dyslexia or a reading disorder? So quick to judge with such little knowledge of that persons background.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

My pet peeve is people who talk on their STUPID Car phones while driving...I'd personally rather be creamed by a drunk driver! THAT would sound better in my Obit!