Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: floppies suck!!

floppies suck!!

I've had to many problems with floppies being corrupted and losing valuable data all the time...

Why can't they KILL floppies along with there drives and replace them with standard 2-5mb memory cards or something like that.

i know the Sony Laptops now have the memory stick drive... but every pc needs to to start doing that

One word : PRICE.
    Floopies are CHEAP.

But even they will dissappear in this decade
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

Ultimate Member
    Theyre a pin in the bum for the reasons you mention - why i burn most of my stuff to CDRW or make multiple copies of floppies or nowadays send it across the net/lan beforehand

--Jakk

Gone
    Many drives and one drive to rule them all. The lord of the drives. The Iomega zip drive. I have the Iomega 200mb external usb 2.0 drive and once you go there there is no such thing as a floppy! Even the disks are life time warrenty, and if the other user (sharing) doesnt have one. no prob. its exteranl with no power supply. Just take it along.

I think that USB devices will pretty much exterminate floppies. Those nifty thumb drives are coming way down in price now. Portability and megabytes, less chance of corruption and will work on any PC with an OS '98 or above. You also don't need to buy any extra devices or software to access it. That's why I've asked my other half to get me one for christmas... I'm sick of spanning stuff across floppies!

Floppies suck ...no doubt about it, the zip drive is cats *** for moving small files around and the external usb makes it all the better...mine is internal, right below the floppy, and I also have a couple that plug into the printer port, one is scsi and the other is not...but both serve very well.
    The Tech

The quality of floppys and floppy drives has gone down hill rather steadily in the past 10 years. Hopefully the usb sticks and zips will replace them soon. Just have to make the BIOS recognize them as bootable drives.

Gone
    "Just have to make the BIOS recognize them as bootable drives."

Hehe. Already done. I boot off my ZIP all the time. Right there in my P4t-e bios, boot of external zip drive.

Yeah but I wanna boot from a USB memory key. If they ever do get around to doing this I wonder how long it will take before someone sticks a small linux distro on one

Actually booting from a USB memory device or Sony memory stick probably won't be far off if Open BIOS gets half a chance.

http://www.freiburg.linux.de/OpenBIO.../openbios.html

I can see some people out there making a patch for it or even having it included as a feature in OpenBIOS.

For file transfere with USB I use a 128mb smartmedia card. Reader is small and the transfer very fast. I also use it in my camera and can take pictures all day long with one card.

Just had my first zip disk go "sour" on me, first one in 2-3 years or since I got my drives. It just spins and makes a click noise and then it errors...its my cadd back-up files but I got other back-up so
    its no big deal.

Just thought I would throw that in.
    The Tech

Ah yes, you suffered from the Zip Drive "click of death" problem. You can diagnose if that is going to happen here:

http://grc.com/tip/clickdeath.htm

Gone
    Originally posted by kimike
    Just had my first zip disk go "sour" on me, first one in 2-3 years or since I got my drives. It just spins and makes a click noise and then it errors...its my cadd back-up files but I got other back-up so
    its no big deal.

Just thought I would throw that in.
    Well send it back! ALL mine are life time warrenty. So its a free $10.00 replacment.

Originally posted by $1500-P4 gamer

Well send it back! ALL mine are life time warrenty. So its a free $10.00 replacment.
    Yeah, unless you find out there is a postage and handling fee.