Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sandra 2003/Hot CPU ?

Ultimate Member
    Check for spyware running in the background. Ad-aware is a good utility for identifying this... it's what is part of the cause of your high CPU temps.

Yes, the MAXIMUM junction point temperature for an AMD CPU without damage is 90deg c, yet it should not be kept even at 60deg c. Stability is not guranteed above 55deg C. A cpu running at 40deg C will last 10 years longer than a CPU running at 50deg C. That's all there is to it.

OK I just ran ad-aware 5.83 for the second time(the first time was friday before I noticed the heat thing, it found a couple things which we deleted) didn't find anything. I don't know wether to be happy or sad, you know what I mean.

I think the heatsink is put on well. Will reapply when I get the artic silver.

Case ventilation should be fine. I have 2 fans. One in front blowing in the other in back blowing out, plus the PS fan. The first time I opened the case after finding this heat thing, I noticed an IDE cable blocking air flow. Fixed that.

It's reassuring to know that Someone Stupid (other than myself, tried to use that name when I registered ) has had this disc activity at rest in 98se. I didn't know this was an anomaly.

I may be wrong but this whirring at startup just doesn't sound like its coming from the mobo/chassis, if I understand CV correctly. I really think I need a more powerful PS. Like 400w. Too many fans and the like trying to start up all at once is putting to much strain on my current 300w (off brand?) PS when you think about the fan on my Ti500 and on my chipset thats 6 fans in this case. I should have good air flow.

So, to summarize:
    1. I'll get Artic Silver and reapply HSF
    2. Gonna get a new Antec True Power 430w PS

I'll be glad when this over

BTW anybody else having trouble with the database in 2003 Sandra like I mentioned at the start of this thread. I think its a bug.
    Last edited by mtnbiker; 12-02-2002 at 07:20 PM.

For good ventilation make sure all your slots for fans are filled, the ones one the lower section should be intake, the ones higher up should be exhaust. Also it isn't just the fans, it's the amount of air they move. If you have 60mm fans which are whisper quite, two of them isn't going to cut it. Even with 80mm's it'd be pushing it in my book if it's used for gaming, SETI, etc with just two fans. Most cases support 4 fans or three fans, two intakes and one larger exhaust in the rear or 2 in, 2 out. Some hold five, with the fifth one being by the AGP slot, that should be an intake if you have that. If your good with a dremel, or horrible and don't care about looks you can make a funnel running directly to your heatsinks fan to pull room temp air in directly, if not you can stick a fan in that spot over the CPU's heatsink, a 120mm would be best as it would pull the most airflow quitely.

I'm beginning to think something is wrong with the heatsink itself with how the copper base was inserted, it might not be making good contact with the aluminum (though that would be a first). <aybe the base is very irregular. Ever thought of lapping the heatsink, it just might be very irregular at the base (most are, but this one might be exceptionally so).

EDIT: If you want a TRUE measurement of your cpu's temp, you'll have to use a thermal probe designed for it. You can pick them up for around 20 dollars. Just make sure it's making contact with the bottom of your cpu (they make high temp tape that is useable for this), then stick your CPU back on, snap the heatsink in after wiping and reapplying your compound properly, and see what it reports the temps as.
    Last edited by Someone Stupid; 12-10-2002 at 01:41 PM.

Use a program like SpeedFan to keep track of your voltages on each rail. I use it to monitor my voltages, temps, and fan speeds extensively. It also manages my overclocking.

Try connecting one fan at a time, and see how your 12 volt supply reacts. Keep going by adding one more fan at a time, and listen to the PS fan to see how much load you are giving it at startup. Startup can do more damage to your PS if overloaded than continuous running, as the surge of power it needs to give out can be quite massive.

Logan

Banned
    Dude... That's the most damnest thing I have ever heard about.

Ultimate Member
    FYI Tojo...

You can adjust static-speed fans if they are connected to the motherboard headers using speedfan. It works on most recent motherboards... winbond has been getting better at being able to software access their chips. A good thing for quieting down fast fans or putting some relief on your mobo

Or you could use it to allow a very fast fan like the delta to run on a mobo without killing it. The power demand can be reduced quite a bit and the voltage regulators will say, "thanks!"

And as for your latest post...

S

T

F

U

If you're unwilling to help, don't comment!

Banned
    Freedom of speech, dude. This all I gotta say: freedom of speech... and the press, too.

Ultimate Member
    If you don't want to help, then you don't belong here. Mods have the freedom to kick you out as well.

I can't get speedfan to work. It detects my motherboard and smbus, but it won't let me change fan speeds. I can't put check marks by anything in the config menu.

BTW, I have a msi kt3 ultra (kt333) so it should work.
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

Ultimate Member
    The app only supports certain ASIC and winbond monitoring chips and only a few mobos for FSB Ocing. It does, however, provide SMART info, which I find very useful.

Fortunately, I have the potential to control my fans through the app, but since they're all thermostatically regulated...

About Sandra 2003-

It will run under 98se, but the database is meant for xp. Meaning it is more fully compatible with xp. Found this out by upgradeing Anybody else useing this program? 2003? I'd like to compare my numbers, which are probably low. Not real sure how to tweak my memory

Now about the heat thing. I think I just got bad karma

I got that new power supply just because. Also picked up a new for me hsf, thermaltake volcano6. Fan rpm is twice as fast as my other two were. Also got another/different case fan also thermaltake, smart case fan 2. rpm is 3 times faster than my old one, kinda noisy. Picked up that Arctic Silver 3 as well.

So, has all that made any difference? Speedfan tells me I'm at 52c

Interesting utility that speedfan. Confirmed what Sandra reported.

I give up. I guess I'll keep going til I burn up then start again.

Maybe I'll look into one of those water cooler things. Seems like a lot of work for a system that isn't even oc'd.

btw - bummer I waited so long to upgrade to xp - sweet

Banned
    DONT WORRY!

you propably have a mobo which reads the core temperature of the cpu not the surface temperature like 85% of mobos out there!.

I got a new mobo and suddenly my cpu temps where at 58C idle wheras they where at 43C normally. After i go into bios and ask around the web i saw that i still have the 43C temp. surface temperature and i have a NEW temperature called core temp of 58C which goes up to 67C full load.

I never crashed or get errors and i have been using the system for a few months.

DONT LISTEN TO PEOPLE who say keep your temps below xxx and who say my temp is 44C max when they should really add another 15C to have the real temperature.

obviously you should stay below 75C at least and artic silver 3 is well worth it. APPLY A VERY THIN LAYER thin!

Thank you germanjulian-

I think that makes sense. I have an asus A7V266E! I don't know if what you're saying applies to this board. But it should be new enough.

Originally posted by mtnbiker
    About Sandra 2003-

It will run under 98se, but the database is meant for xp. Meaning it is more fully compatible with xp. Found this out by upgradeing Anybody else useing this program? 2003? I'd like to compare my numbers, which are probably low. Not real sure how to tweak my memory
    I use it like it alot!

tweak your memory in the bios:
    change one thing use sandra check speed and go again!
    If you play with long enough you can find the sweet spot!

I use 3dmark se as well (just can't log into their web site)
    But 3dmark you can change your score soooooooo much with just a few adjustments

Set to highest performance score 16,205
    Set to highest quality..........score 13,296

2400+@2,310 (fsb342)
    leadtek dual chip G4 A250 TD ultra ti4600 128 core 333/700 mem
    DDR400@DDR333

And even when amd tells you 90C is ok not for a stable system. (mine 85C is OK)

when mine hits 63-65C games start to freeze ....vid gets messed up (to far OC'ed 2,394mhz)
    Last edited by Beast_USA; 12-31-2002 at 02:31 AM.