Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sandra 2003/Hot CPU ?

Sandra 2003/Hot CPU ?

I wanted to check the bandwidth on my memory but all I had was Sandra 2001se. Couldn't find Sandra 2002 but found 2003.

This is ver 2003.1.9

So when I go to open it up it says "could not initialise database! make sure file is ok; install latest MDAC." What the heck is a MDAC and how do I get it.

I dl this 2003 twice from 2 diff web sites. Same thing. I there a problem with this version.

Anyway I was able to run the tests. Just couldn't get any comparsions. Around 1900mb/s or something, alot better than 2001se. XP1700+ 512mb ddr asusa7v266e.

The other thing is, and this is what scares me. Sandra is telling me my cpu temp is 57c/134.6F!!! Is this normal for the XP1700+. I'm not overclocked or anything, but it sure seems kinda high to me

Ultimate Member
    Does it FEEL hot in there?

You're right, 57.5 is way too high... should be like 45-50...

You mean inside the case? No

Sandra now says - cpu58c/136.4F, board 30c/86F

I'm just surfing the web! What happens when I play 3d games?!

I mean its probably beem running like this since I got it about 4 months ago.

The only good thing I guess is I've not tried to overclock this thing.

Sure would like to get the heat down though

Ultimate Member
    Well then you are getting erroneous temperature reports from SANDRA.. the app has to depend upon what the BIOS is giving it... Does the HSF feel rather cool? Then you have a transfer problem.

If you are in Win 2K or XP check the Preformance tap of the Task Manager and see how much of your processor is being used... shouldnt be much when your surfing your web, if its at 100% that might explain your temps and I would be wondering what is using up your processes... which can be seen on the processes tab My AMD XP 1800+ @ 2000+ is @ 39C* full load with air cooling and one big @$$ Alpha Heatsink

-: phenious :-
    Last edited by phenious; 12-02-2002 at 01:28 AM.

Ultimate Member
    Must be loud in there phenious

Running 98se

Heatsink is kinda to pretty warm to touch(very subjective), definately not cool.

Here's the thing. I replaced the HSF about 6wks ago, with a nice Antec job with a high rating, because my old one was making this odd whirring sound and I thought it was going bad. Well after replacing, my first 2 startups were fine then it started making that odd sound again. It only does it at startup for a few seconds but its irritating and annoying. Nono of my other computers have done this. It's a 300w power supply but I'm thinking of replacing it. Also might put my old HSF back on 'cause I was reading 119F in my bios before the switch.

CV I'm not sure what you mean about erroneous reports, I checked my bios and it says the same thing 134F

Does the kernel processor usage thing in system monitor in 98se do the same thing?

When I first turned it on it was at 100%. Then I alt+tabbed back to Deus ex and exited. It dropped down to between 5 and 10%. Then I started typing this and now its hanging around 30%.

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thing.

With the side off my case I'm around 125F at 30% kernel usage. Thats a better temp reading

Ultimate Member
    30% is rather high for idle.

Press ctrl+alt+del, are there any hogging processes running in the background?

That odd whirring sound... seems like your mobo is not attached to the tray correctly. I doubt the mobo's rails are browning out.

BTW often the BIOS measures not the CPU's internal diode, but instead the little diode inside the CPU socket. This basically measures an ambient pocket of trapped air, and not the core temperature.

Newer mobos accurately read the internal thermal diode unless a pre-palomino CPU is used.
    Last edited by causticVapor; 12-01-2002 at 09:50 PM.

I don't understand this kernel processor usage thing. I sat there for 5 min watching it and it hovered around 83%.

The only thing in my system tray was my volume control and zone alarm. Ctrl +alt +del showed system monitor, explorer, systray, zonealarm, and Rnaapp which I did an end task to.

Right now while I'm on the web its back to around 30% and during activity it drops down to around 5%. I thought I understood it at first but the more I watch it it looks like it works backwards

Any feedback would be welcome at this point

Temp is around 127F

When I put the side panel back on it jumped right back up to 134
    Last edited by mtnbiker; 12-01-2002 at 10:25 PM.

Your temps got worse after using an aftermarket heatsink? What thermal grease did you use? Sounds like wither you applied the thermal compound wrong or your heatsink isn't seated properly.

Yeah that too , I recomend Artic Silver 2 or 3 The best, and you only want to put on a tiny tiny bit... about a drop the size of a dime... that stuff spreads better then liquid butter you only want a very fine layer covering the core so there are no air pockets between the core and the Heat Sink. Spread it as smooth as possible and removce excess grease. To much of it and it will act like insulation, specially if its an elcheapo brand or the thermal tape that comes on some of the heat sinks.

-: phenious :-

Ultimate Member
    And make sure the heatsink is not put on the wrong way.... ventilate the case more...

There might be a pressure problem as well. When you put the case door back on, does the fan start to sound a bit louder? The best way to test for this is to use an antec smartfan as the exhaust; if you have a pressure problem then it will start whirring to insanely high RPMs

Again, I think it's an interface problem. Reapply.

This is an interesting web page

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...tion_final.pdf

My number is: AX1700DMT3C

So according to this page I can go up to 90C, and I'm usually around 56 or 57C. So I'm ok right No need to freak out and panic about a melt down.

However I am going to look into Artic Silver. I'd feel better if it was a little lower temp

BTW I fooled around with this thing last nite. Took the hsf off and cleaned it up 'caue I was afraid I got finger oils on it when I put on that after market hsf. I read someware that could be a problem. Nope. Then I put back on the original hsf. Still no good. I'm gonna keep working it though, but I feel a little better after seeing that web page

I'd still like to know why there's so much disk activity when I'm not doing anything at my desktop

I'd get disk activity all the bloody time from my computer when it ran 98, even in the middle of the night, it would just all of a sudden want to read and write for ****s and giggles. Ran virus scanner on it, nothing, checked everything, nothing, that's just the way 98 is I'm just guessing now. As it's done it on two of my systems that have had.