Thread: Newbie Question

Newbie Question

Hey all,

I am very new to this whole web site thing. I just purchased a domain and am very interested in setting everything up. However, at this time, I have a couple of problems that I don't think are very complicate- to anyone other than me that is

In my site, I want to have a registration page. How in the heck do you build one of them?

Also, I want to have a page that will update itself based on the registration page. In other words, the second page would go from saying "we have 5 members.... here they are in the order they joined..." - all based on the registration page.

I understand that this is probably something very easy for you guys, but, as mentioned, I am a new at this.

BTW, I am using MS Frontpape 2000 Premium and have access to all the office programs if needed.

Thanks!!

lets face it, you are suggesting that FrontPage (or any of the other office progs) will be able to create custom PHP / ASP / Perl scripts...you are really really really an in-experienced newbie...

From your question I presume you are wanting to create a member list, allowing people to log-in (not quite sure for what purpose) or join your mailing-list, both are quite complex tasks, that ensure work properly takes a lot of time and skill. I would strongly suggest you scrap your idea, sorry but it's the truth, it seems fundamently flawed.

For instance, you yourself admit you are new to this - I wouldn't attempt something like this and I built huge ASP driven sites for schools...
    You want to display everyone who joined, I don't my name up there....
    You will need to get a sendmail prog working...trust me, it took me so bloody long to figure out how, I mean I still struggle...not for the newbie at all....

I would try an find a script already done for you but first you need to find out what your host (the person who holds and displays the page) can support. Look for a CGI-BIN, ASP or PHP support and then get back to us....

We'll get you there in the end, but I would steer clear of trying to do it yourself, or maybe you should give me/us a better description of what you are wanting to do...

Stefan

What you are attempting to make is incredibly complex, like Joey said.

Small steps, start with the basics, learn HTML, CSS and Javascript and work from there. Knowing ASP, PHP, CGI etc... is useless unless you have a good grounding in the basics.

If you are thinking small and you want to put your member names up on a site, I'd suggest just typing them in manually. I did a small site about 5 years ago for an Everquest guild where we had around 20 members... manually is the way to go if it is small. If it's gonna be big I say start learning!

Originally posted by ironik311
    What you are attempting to make is incredibly complex, like Joey said.
    surely thats what DocEvi1 / Stefan said???

Manual is the way to go, I agree with Bob / Ironik311 Ahh, **** humour is always the way to go!

Stefan

Oops... read the wrong name. Ah, attention span is wandering lately!

Ultimate Member
    Just remember that the more complex the interactivity is the more difficult and costly it is likely to be, because complex software and administrative skills are required. And such software is never free, because a great deal of costly development has to go into it.

Eric,

http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm