Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P4 1.6GHz Intel 82845 Chipset O/Cing?

P4 1.6GHz Intel 82845 Chipset O/Cing?

Hey guys

Just got a P4 Willamette 1.6GHz at work, complete with 512MB of SDRAM. It was a handme-down from the Senior Network Admin to me, so obviously I didn't spec it out

Is there any way of O/Cing these machines via FSB?

Programs that I've found so far don't include the ability to alter the FSB for this board.

DELL Optiplex GX-240, apparently with the Brookdale chipset, according to Sandra 2003. I don't know too much about the newer Intel, so I'll wait for the educated and experienced responses

Thanks!

Logan

Hey Logan..I have the same chip in a machine I built setting in an Epox board. You'll find the multiplier is locked at 16x, as all Intel chips have locked multipliers. On my board, you can tweak the FSB and memory speeds through BIOS (Award), as well as tweak the CPU core voltage, AGP voltage, and memory voltage. I've got mine running at 2.12 GHz and stable...anything above that and it gets squirrley.
    I'm not real familiar with Dell's, but a lot of OEM's won't let you o\c due to warranty issues...they force the BIOS manufacturer to leave out any tweaking tools in BIOS, and usually don't even let the board manufacturer put jumpers on, other than CMOS.
    That's why I started building my own!

Overclocking a DELL is very hard, it can't be done normally through the BIOS, as they take those options out. However sometimes people have been able to do it with software like CPUfsb or SoftFSB.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

i agree with gibsinep... overclocking a dell is like overclocking a notebook comp..it is quite difficult or impossible...not many users overclock there dell if it is ordered from the company...if you were to put your own parts in you mite be able to overclock it..but until then its nearly impossible
    Skull Sword

Don't forget about heat, dells don't exactly have 'good' cooling.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

very true..dells do not have very good cooling...i had a comp made by dell once..put some 2$ fan in there...custom comps r the way to go...so sell and build..if u sell on ebay u can make about 500..pays for the processor..lol
    Skull Sword

Not if you get a AMD cpu.

depends what kind of amd cpu u get..theres good ones for over 600 and ****ty ones for under 200...lol
    Skull Sword

uh not really, The ones under $200 are bad now?

not really

How about the XP 1600+-2200+

those are bad.

yeah ok...

well...those are good..but im not talking about those..theres really bad ones under 200..those are ok but itd be better to get a atlon xp 2600+ or higher..or a p4 2.4ghzb 533fsb...thats around 500 i beleive...
    Skull Sword

Your Prices are way way of the mark

2600+ ( retail) $313.00
    P4 2.4 (retail) $193.00

And what are the 'really bad ones' under 200????

Even a 1GHZ duron is a solid chip at under $60

im in canada so my prices r higher...but yeah on the p4 i was a bit off..it goes for 350..
    Skull Sword

350 canadian money?

yeah...around there..
    Skull Sword

I've given up... can't find any software to let me O/C this Willamette POS. It does a SETI WU in about 5-6 hours, I guess I should be happy with that

Logan