Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: "Convince me to install a Linux partition

acid_burn~187 my friend... What does linux do that windows doesnt? besides beeing linux... yes it desirves its on spot but lets face it... Lets say you have kids.. well most likly they cant just click here and there because linux can get hard at times... I have spent countless hours trying to figer out how to do neat stuff with it that windows does pretty easy... I had a major problem with drivers on it and I run widely used hardware... What does linux offer for a Direct X gamer such as my self but if linux ran direct x games as good as windows i would use it ... I hate it not beeing able to run .exe's its like you lose every thing then if you get wine i loads up stuff slow and looks odd
    Experience OUTLaW

mandrakes sweet. I've run RH 8.0 and I do so much like mandrake better. Prolly cause I'm a Linux nooB.

Originally posted by unreal_outlaw
    What does linux do that windows doesnt? besides beeing linux...
    no RIAA or whatever **** FEEs or whatever you need to PAY $$$$ for

Linux = FREE vs Windows = RipOff

no RIAA or whatever **** FEEs or whatever you need to PAY $$$$ for
    Looking at it in these terms makes me think "we pay for convenience" or "functionality. Like I pay a higher overhead for buying an imported vehicle. Or 30 cents more for a drink because it's at the Tesoro instead of the supermarket. Or buying the Big Mac extra value meal instead of making my lunch at home....

I guess it comes down to how much time a person has to focus on something. Like I personally don't mind too much to pay for the $99 OEM winXP that I have, if not for anything else but that it doesn't require my $wage_per_hour$ times how long it takes me to accomplish something on a platform that has such a high learning curve. Time is money, basicly.

But, I'm still going through with it. Give me a while.
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

Mandrake 9.0 is now installed and running nicely on my triple OS rig.

And my adsl is also functioning nicely.

I downloaded just one of the cd's from a CA ftp server last night. It took a *tad* more than 1.5 hours, namely 7.5 hours...

I'll have to go back and get the others later.

And I agree with Jakk, that this Linux is rather easy. It looks nice, the setup was easy. Now I'll just have to break out my Linux for Dummies book and start remembering everything...
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell