Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Convince me to install a Linux partition

"Convince me to install a Linux partition

I've intended on installing one of the flavors of Linux I have (Redhat 6.2, Redhat 7.0, SuSe 7.1, Storm Linux), or downloading an .ISO from any other number of distributions.

Thing is, every time I think I'm going to install it, the question comes up: "why? What would I DO with Linux?"

I have 98se and XP Home installed right now, having just done that over the weekend. Everything I've ever needed to do on my home pc have been fullfilled with them.

So, why bother? The only thing I can think of is just so I can have bragging rights, which I don't mind too badly. But being practical, what gains could I possibly achieve? Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

ßeeßle Qµix
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

To be honest, realistically...none.

I installed Linux to learn, not because it offered anything that Microsoft didn't. Yes its more secure than XP, and more stable...but at the same time I haven't had to restart XP either.

Some are going to come on and say "Linux rules, Microsoft can kiss my @ss" or other Microsoft hating themes. While I guess that could be a real reason to try Linux, I kinda find that to be a lame reason.

Putting a second partition for Linux will allow you to slowly learn Linux while keeping the security of knowing that if you're lost and something needs to be done, that you can still run XP for that. I'm learning something new everyday with Linux, and its helping me Unix at the same time and understanding command prompts more than I ever could under Windows..

The truth is you probably don't need Linux, but it is fun to play around with. And if you have the space, and the ISO's, then the question should be why not?

thanks for posting, bdmst16.

Yes, that's probably the only real thing to do with Linux is just learn more of the UNIX side of things. I do use Solaris and AIX at work, but only minimally, or enough to know not to do this:
    "cd /usr <enter>
    rm -r *.* <enter>...."

I did have a UNIX/C class at the university a few years back. That was when I first thought how l337 I'd be were I to install Redhat. But then I just kept learning more about Windows and lost the desire.

Alright then. How about applications to run in Xwindows? Or even from the Korn shell....Anything in terms of freeware/whateverware for Linux? How about burning tools under Linux: do they provide a 'better' means of making backups or reproduction of weak sectors?

I guess the allure has little appeal if all I get to do is practice black-hatted bogus ****. Yeah, I remeber VI, EMACs, PINE,RLOGON,etc. Anything I do in them I can easily accomplish in Windows XX. I guess it all just comes back to claim to knowledge, envy of fellow alpha geeks like my one friend (you know who you are), and perhaps a sense of independence from M$ if not for anything else but to say "I run LINUX, Mr. Gates."

ß.Qµix
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

Well, i'm going to ignore the fact that you can do alot of the same stuff in linux that you can in windows like play realplayer, divx, mpgeg, mp3, play GL games, etc... Cauz it can do all the same stuff, it's just much more dificult.

But the reason you hear so many hardcore *nix users, such as myself, keep saying windows sucks so bad is cauz IT DOES!!! And if windwos is the only operating system you know (like 90% of you) then you have nothing to compare it to and you really do have NO clue how bad it really is. Yeah it's nice and fancy and makes some things REALLY easy for you, but if you are not familiar with how an operating system works then anything I say on the matter will be lost. I started learning linux out of curiosity to see what all of the fuss is about and now I'm hooked. I simply can't ever go back to windows knowing what I know now. I'm just counting down the days until there is a viable desktop alternative that will finally show windows users what kind of **** they have been using all these years.

I use linux as my server and on my laptop, I dual boot my desktop simply because I like to play games. Games companies don't make games for linux because of the small user base, not because the OS can't handle it. Linux actually has direct rendering (aka openGL) but it's not as advanced as the windows one cauz it's written by volunteers. If only a fraction of the money M$ spends on windows were dumped into making high-end apps for linux then it would be a much more usable OS. But for now it's a power users dream and far out of reach for the average user.

So are you a power user or a slave?

~Paul
    Last edited by acid_burn~187; 11-27-2002 at 05:45 PM.
    |}~(O)~{|

I couldn't put it any better acid_burn~187.

I agree with 'nothing', you'll have to convince yourself.

I installed Linux RedHat 8.0 and have dual boot w/ 98SE.

I downloaded some digital camera pictures and found out that while Linux required about 4.4 MB of space to store the pictures on the Hard Drive, Windows 98Se requred about 1.5 MB to store the same 6 pictures on the same Hard Drive, in its own partition.

I also learned that you have to get to like and learn programming language to do neat things in Linux, and I realized I wasn't that committed to the cause. I started out thinking that Windows was the Goliath and Linux was the David, but now I appreciate Windows more than ever. I just don't want to pay for their license fees, so I'm torn.

I think Linux can compete in Web browsing, in fact I think the built in security features (firewall) may be superior (not sure).

In terms of ease of use, Linux might be somewhere between Windows 3.1 and 95 and growing and getting better but...

I still like those Microsoft games, if only they weren't so expensive and made for Linux, too. I tried downloading an RPM for a free Linux game and it did not work, and I was not that interested to go in and program and make it work.

Finally, Linux is a considerate OS, it can reinstall itself on the partition without erasing the Win98SE partition, and it can read floppies in Windows format and so on...

Windows "told" me it was reformatting only its partition, and then I could not "see" the Linux partition, so you have to rely on Linux and install Win 98SE first, then use the Linux brains to partition its corner of the Hard Drive and you will still be able to access Windows.

I use windows XP, because I am a gamer. If I did not game then I would be using some version of Linux. But for now I see no reason to have both on my system since they can do the same things in general.

As stated above if they made games for Linux, no just one or two, then I would move over to Linux. I believe that it is not the functionality that would make me move, but the control over my OS and priceing that would make me move.

Ultimate Member
    I use windows XP, because I am a gamer.
    Why not just run somthing like WINE under linux to run the games??

Also most new games come with all appropriate linux code etc included or on a seperate disk... not really much of an excuse

Plus linux is up to 10% faster than windows in UT2k3 according to..something..i read... somwhere - think it was here... some tiem ago

--Jakk

What's this about running WINE under Linux to operate Microsoft games? Tell me more... How do I get WINE? Where? Download from Internet? Is it free? What percent of games in the last two years will it work with?

I'm definitely interested.

Ya, looking for more info here too.

Cool,

Looks like I've got a reason to install redhat again and experiment...

Ultimate Member
    You didnt know about WINE

I AM suprised

--Jakk

I downloaded WINE, and installed the RPM. That was easy.

Now I am trying to run games, got a lot to learn here I suspect.

Linux won't take Sims or AVP2 setup.exe commands. Should it?

How do I know if I installed WINE correctly? Is there a test? Can I look in a certain file?

Thanks so far, this is going to be great.