Thread: Just ordered EPoX's latest weapon... the EP-8K9A2+

Banned

Just ordered EPoX's latest weapon... the EP-8K9A2+

For all of you SOBs out there who continue to mock me about my computer (and the nickname I use in these forums), here's a quick run down of what I got in my rig before I get into the other **** I'm getting ready to pour on y'all...

(listed alphabetically)
    CASE: silver, server-size case from Chieftec (with case window and cold cathode lights installed)
    CD-ROM: Artec 56X
    CD-R: Plextor PlexWriter 48X/24X/48X
    CPU: Athlon XP 2400+ (@ 2.0 GHz... soon to be overclocked)
    DVD-ROM: LG 16X
    DVD-R: Pioneer DVR-A04 (or DVR-104)
    GRAPHICS CARD: ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
    MEMORY: two 512MB DDR400 (PC3200) SDRAM
    MOBO: EPoX EP-8K5A3+ (KT333)
    PSU: Antec True480 480-watt
    SOUND CARD: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    WATER COOLING: Innovatek Water Cooling Kit

Now... here's the good news. I just ordered the EP-8K9A2+ (VIA KT400), the successor to the mobo I already have. I'll now be able to take advantage of DDR400, after it had been downclocked to DDR333. Yahoo! And you know what else? In two months, mommy and daddy might buy me NV30. That way, I'll make sure Vapor doesn't vaporize me with his NV30. Hahaha! Impressed yet? Now... don't make fun of me anymore!

==========================
    General Hideki Tojo,
    Prime Minister, Japan
    His Majesty's Imperial Japanese Army

Ultimate Member
    IMO, the money would have been better spent elsewhere... You already have a more than decent system. The performance difference between your current setup, and your setup once you get the new board will be neglagable at best. Congrats on the purchase though, anyway you look at it you've gone one heck of a system.

from what i have seen, you should wait for the KT400a chipset rather than going out and getting the latest board.. the DDR400 RAM with a bus of 133/266 is actually lower performance than if running DDR333...
    An nForce2 chipset board would probably have been a better choice because dual channel DDR400 might actually be an improvement over the single DDR333.
    Rumor has it that the KT400a chipset will be Dual DDR.. .so why not hang out and get that board when it is released?
    plus, your system is more than adequate to play any game on the market today!

PS. the Abit AT7 Max2 with the latest BIOS has a RAM CAS latency option of 1.5... would you be able to tell me whether all KT400 boards have this setting??
    And if you can use the setting, what other setting do you use? (i am playing with 1 GB Corsair XMS3200 C2, wanna see if it can go really tight in ram settings)

Moved to General, since this thread has nothing to do with Benchmarking.

Ultimate Member

Re: Just ordered EPoX's latest weapon... the EP-8K9A2+

Originally posted by Gen_Hideki_Tojo

Now... here's the good news. I just ordered the EP-8K9A2+ (VIA KT400), the successor to the mobo I already have. I'll now be able to take advantage of DDR400, after it had been downclocked to DDR333. Yahoo! And you know what else? In two months, mommy and daddy might buy me NV30. That way, I'll make sure Vapor doesn't vaporize me with his NV30. Hahaha! Impressed yet? Now... don't make fun of me anymore!

You've got the R300 already Games really designed for the NV30 won't be out until 1-2 years from now... look... DX8 titles are FINALLY coming out en masse a year after the launch of the technology and the cards to go with it. And look now, the GF3 is as slow as a dog.

IMO I would wait for an NV35 before plunking down $399-$499 for a gfx card.

And as stated before, I would have waited for the KT400a or an nforce2 board Didn't you say you were going to? Why did you get XMS3200 if you were going to run it at 333MHz anyhow? You stated you were no going to unlock your CPU. Then what's the point of getting anything above DDR333 if not???

And what happened to the order for that 1GHz PIII for your P3B-F board??

Your OLD system stomped anything that I have!

You're so....manly!
    MS MCP, MCSE

There is absolutely no speed increase going from a kt333 to a kt400.

Running ram at 400 mhz will not be faster because it's still bottlenecked by the 133 fsb bus.

A kt333 tweaked to run at a syncronious 166 (or higher) fsb will be much faster than a kt400 at 133 fsb and 200 memory (eff. 400)

Even if you tweak the kt400, it still does the same things as the kt333. Both are limited by a 1/5 pci divider.

Gen_Hideki_Tojo - Since you're not using your old mobo, how about giving it to me?
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

Gen_Hideki_Tojo we dont like to refered to as sob's... Next of all none of us give a fook about what your getting... Why post a whole post on what your parents are buying you for christmas... Computer componets arent weapons in them selves inless you smack something across the face with a mother board so that board isnt a weapon... We not playing battle ship Gen_Hideki_Tojo...

Oh guess I am getting a radeon 9700!!! woot woot!!! thats what it likes and no one really cares what your getting or what I am getting just keep this place for info on problems and how to fix them not a bragging board...
    Last edited by unreal_outlaw; 11-24-2002 at 12:36 AM.
    Experience OUTLaW

That will be enough of that.
    MS MCP, MCSE