Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: AMD Names New 64-Bit Processor

ok so whats the holdup

Well from what i've seen, big mobo companys had boards ready for this thing 6 months ago, and almost every company if not every one, that wants a hammer board has got one,

So can someone please tell me what the holdup is?
    people speculated the GFFX holdup was TSMC's low .13 micron yeilds, while TSMC said "no, its a design change"

well i've heard rumors of a design change here, but nothing but rumors..... even SIS has been telling AMD that if they want to do it this year, GET MOVING!! (well they said that back in like august)

why aren't they producing barton yet either?
    if i remember what the roadmaps back in 2000 were,
    the road map for hammer said they should be shipping volume by now, and have had barton shipping in volume since Q3 02

so whats the hold up?
    System now:
    1.8ghz northwood. (will pin mod to OC later)
    568MB DDR1 at 200mhz
    Sapphire Radeon 9500 np
    16GB 15k scsi if i can get it to work
    160GB wdc RAID 1

Originally posted by thronka
    My biggest concern for all of you is this: Will this be another Cyrix like processor? Cyrix was a **** processor but it kicked **** at office 97 and other operations because it speed up the 16 bit pipeline for those simple operations.
    cyrix isn't dead, VIA bought them and then bought IDC, and has been using winchip AKA IDC technology, they got 1Ghz chips out now. So your point is much more valid then some might think.

As for what VIA is doing with it,they are concentraiting on heat generation and transistor count, rather then intel and amd who are going after raw power, and saying to hell with transistor and heat management. intel even said hell with IPC improvements which is a trend they had maintained since p1 or even before

all of those "lindows pc's" from walmart and tiger direct are running these new VIA cpus, as are some of those new tiny form factor systems with cases the size of a toaster. other then that, i think they are limited to asia.
    Last edited by dosmastr; 12-05-2002 at 04:14 AM.
    System now:
    1.8ghz northwood. (will pin mod to OC later)
    568MB DDR1 at 200mhz
    Sapphire Radeon 9500 np
    16GB 15k scsi if i can get it to work
    160GB wdc RAID 1

Yea, I saw the 900 MHZ chip with a VIA board at the VIA gaming area at QuakeCon with OverDrivePC.com. I like it because all you need is a 125 WATT powersupply to power the whole system. Makes a great presentation station (uses the SLIM PC design) for the size of a laptop. They said it didn't even need a heatsink because heat is soooooo low. Althought the didn't release anything because some "a**hole" decided to break into a pentium 4 machine that was oc'ed to 4 GHz with a refrigeration system. I was lucky to get a pamplet on it and it was only 1 volt for the 900 MHZ version and 2.2 I/O as well. Amazing!

Yea, Athlon64 is kind of a lame name, but thats exactly what it is, a 64bit athlon, so you really couldnt expect them to make up a new name for an updated processor.
    If it was new from the ground up, then you would give it a new name, but it isnt.
    That, and im so used to hearing Hammer (which i think is a koo name)

As for the ppl here talking about if we really need this kind of power, well, right now, the majority of ppl dont.

But tht doesnt mean we wont eventually need it.

Think about it, when new technologies come out, alot of ppl always question whether we need it, and the fact is, when it comes out we usually dont, at that time.

When AGP came out, you didnt really need 500mb/s transfers, so if we woulda just ignored it cuz nothing was able to really use it, where would we be today? Your gaming experience certianly wouldnt be as rich as it is today.

As for creating 64bit programs, thats supposed to be as simple as a recompiling of the software to get it to run 64bit (and i bet some companies might even let you send in 32bit copies, and they send 64bit copies back, that would be cool)

And the Athlon64 is supposed to debut at like 1.8 or 2.0 Ghz i believe i read somewhere

As for the price, what do you expect? They are not doing the greatest financially, and they are having trouble getting this CPU to play nice with them, that all adds up to a rather high price tag.
    Not like Intel high (thank god) but certianly more then we are used to seeing from our beloved AMD.

But until we see official benchmarks (32 and 64 bit) and an actual price listing at pricewatch, we can only speculate, argue, and bicker until 1Q/2Q '03

Gone
    Originally posted by causticVapor

The 386 was 16-bit, while the 486 was 32-bit.
    Right. The 486 was 32 bit internal to 32bit output. The Pentium was 64bit internal with 32bit output. This continues to this day. All they are doing is unleashing 64bit output. The internal has been 64bit for a long time now but doesnt run 64bit on the outside.

I have to congratulate AMD for being the first with the 64 bit procs. But really, do we need them now? Nope, not really.

I have to congratulate AMD for being the first with the 64 bit procs. But really, do we need them now? Nope, not really.

Do we really need half the technology when it first comes out? nope, not really.

Do we need that technology a year(give or take) after it comes out?
    almost always yes.

yeah, that about sums it up. Are 64 bits needed now? Nope, not really. Can they be utilised in the near(ish) future? Yes.

amd.
    no,
    AMD

I am all for 64 bit. I want one. It will not be the first generation as stated before. I will wait a while. I do need to say my 350 MHz machines are getting too slow for most of today's software. XP runs well but slow. My 66[7] MHz Machines work great with everything.

I don't need it now but I will soon. Goota keep a little behind but its well worth the wait.

(Not just repeating but agreeing.)

Like $1500-P4 Gamer said - look at the internal architechture to the external output. need a straight shot to get the performance. Need a new RAM type to use 64 bit in singles I am guessing. 2 DIMMS will equal 64 Bits wide. Is RDRAM 32 Bits as well?
    Last edited by rraehal; 12-18-2002 at 04:22 PM.

i think you'll find rraehal that they're 667MHz processors, because intel was worried about the 666MHz being considered "evil" by certain religious groups

You are correct is is actually a 667. I just was typing fast - I think - weel maybe I don't know what I was thinking. I hate reading 3 different books at one time. I get so confused. I have fixed my error.

[Sorry, My Image post will not work so i removed it.]
    Last edited by rraehal; 12-18-2002 at 04:47 PM.

Here is the image I removed before. Tell me what you think.

I forgot to say where this is from. The Book is Upgrading and Repairing PC's 10th Edition by Scott Mueller and Que Publishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rraehal; 12-18-2002 at 04:56 PM.

Originally posted by rraehal
    Here is the image I removed before. Tell me what you think.

I forgot to say where this is from. The Book is Upgrading and Repairing PC's 10th Edition by Scott Mueller and Que Publishing.
    Hey I had that book but an earlier edition circa 1988 i think. Can't find it, musta lent it out

Good book!