OS= win98se
    HD= maxtor
    CD-RW = Samsung SW-224 (24-10-40)
    ZIP= internal 100 (ide)
    flop= 1.4 NEC
    RAM = 128
    Modem= Zoom V.92
    Video= ATI Rage (32 meg ... ???)

I seem to have some kind of conflict between the CD-RW and something else... I've tried looking at the IRQ's and DMA's but am not savvy enough to *know* if I've got a problem.

when inserting a CD into the drive... there is a LONG delay..
    pausing the entire system... if there is an *auto-run* on the cd it doesn't "start" until I've opened another window (or maybe just after some keyboard/mouse activity??)

Suggestions..??

Thanks..!!

genet

Intimate Member
    Have you look at Device Manager to see if there are any conflicts?..in case you havent, and not sure how...right click the My Computer icon on the desk top, select properties, then in the new screen, click the Device Manager tab. Open up the CD Rom section by clicking the + sign beside the CD Rom section. If there is any kind of conflict with the resources, there will be a large yellow question mark on that device. You may see a small yellow exclaimation mark somewhere..this generally dosn't cause a problem..

Highlight your CD Rom drive and select the properties button at the bottom...or, double click the cd rom drive...this will also get you into the properties. see what it says about the drive...working ok?..look for the settings tab...open that up and see if 'auto insert notification' is checked...it must be checked for the CDs to auto play.

Ultimate Member
    IDE devices hang off IDE controllers, which inherently don't "conflict"

You ain't got no conflict there, you got a problem with the drive itself, an IDE setup problem, or two drives on the same cable that don't interact properly (that does happen).

I'd isolate the ZIP drive on one channel, and put CDRW and HDD on the other. Yes that'll suck for CD burning, but if the ZIP misbehaves, then that's your choice.

Originally posted by Peter Missel
    IDE devices hang off IDE controllers, which inherently don't "conflict"

You ain't got no conflict there, you got a problem with the drive itself, an IDE setup problem, or two drives on the same cable that don't interact properly (that does happen).

I'd isolate the ZIP drive on one channel, and put CDRW and HDD on the other. Yes that'll suck for CD burning, but if the ZIP misbehaves, then that's your choice.
    I'll try isolating the drives... currently the zip is on one channel (secondary) and the HDD and CD-RW are on the other (primary). I've *changed* the cable but haven't *isolated* each of the drives... (duh... ) I HAVE had config problems with ZIP drives before but they've seemed to only involve the ZIP drive itself... I'll try *uninstalling/removing* the ZIP stuff and see if that clears anything up.

At the time I *needed* the zip drive every day... so I *lived* with a buggy CD_rom . IF its two drives not interacting properly on the cable... this is the second cd drive in the machine and it is buggy, although differently than the first. So either it's the HDD that doesn't like CD drives, or my IDE setup... (??)

Should I uninstall ALL the drivers (ZIP and CD-RW) and just re-install the CD-RW drivers..?? (Lazy me...)

Thanks for the help...

genet