Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB + Athlon XP 2400+ (overclocked) = kicka**!!!

Ultimate Member

The R300 is an awesome card. You just have to know how to tweak it.

If it's so bad then give it to me.
    Last edited by causticVapor; 12-01-2002 at 04:31 PM.

You can say that again

Ultimate Member
    It can happen, too bad his mom has his system keys so he can't lock it

Purple overtones instead of red will be what his case will shimmer with...

Ultimate Member
    It feels better when you get praise without asking.

Trying to knock sense into Tojo is like talking to a wall, Phenious. Don't even try.

Wow guys... was just informed that the Radeon 9700 keeps a track of the last 20 Over Clocks and its kept on the card, un-erasable and ATI wont replace a dead card where the card was Overclocked and seemingly a lot of the cards die when pushed over their stock speed... guess ATI already took it to the limit... will look for more info on the subject later.

-: phenious :-

Ultimate Member
    That could explain why the card is by default not clocked higher than the Ti 4600... .15-micron cores with that many transistors probably can't go much further w/o risking damage... of course with the crappy default cooling it's pretty easy to kill no matter what

A history! Who would have ever known... Phenious you should start a new thread on this one...

Must be kept in the card BIOS somewhere..

Yeah, start a thread on it Phenious. It's worth knowing.
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

Ultimate Member
    So you're saying Phenious that the card has already been OC'd? Perhaps that's why it runs so darn hot.

IMO ATi's desperate, they just had to get a card out that would beat the Ti4600

Well it cant be already OCed if thats what they set the factory defualt to What they did is they just clocked it as high as possible but stayed stable, or at least that is what I think happened. Normally CPU and Graphics people leave a lot of head room just to be safe but I think they just used the head room for preformance So its kinda like buying a pre-tweaked card?

Ultimate Member
    OCing is all in the eye of the beholder, phenious.

Look at the K6-2 400. AMD said cool they'll all run stable at 500 so they released it at 500. Then look what happened with the 550. Complete bunk.

The same with the R300. ATi has the card maximized; heck, it's only about 17% faster than the Ti4600... really a lot less headroom than we thought. At .15-micron gate lengths, the high-transistor-count GPU runs hot and is very possible that it could become unstable at higher speeds.

This is the whole reason why AMD's CPUs are always hotter than the intel P4; they are always closer to the cieling than the P4 is. Additional metal layers help, but one can only add som many layers before the interconnects lower the overall quality of the transistor planes.

Again, what is OC'd? Generally, the heat production and voltage requirements of any semiconductor will tell you how close they are to their maximum frequency... in some it's not so much heat as voltage, as with memory modules, whose transistor quality dictate how fast they can switch without error. In others, voltage needs are high, such as the highly-interconnected processor types. And heat dissipation with that kind of transistor densiy is quite high.

Originally posted by causticVapor
    OCing is all in the eye of the beholder, phenious.

Look at the K6-2 400. AMD said cool they'll all run stable at 500 so they released it at 500. Then look what happened with the 550. Complete bunk.
    What are you talking about? I had a k6/2 550 for a while and it was just great.
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

Ultimate Member
    A lot of the K6-2 550s were Duds, Giblet. It's just like intel's 1.13GHz coppermine. At .25 microns it was very hard to get CISC-RISC silicon working at that speed. Not to say there weren't a lot of satisfied 550 users, it's just that many were very unstable and had to be bbrought down to 500 in order to work. Read anywhere on the web about this and you'll hear the same thing. This is what drove AMD to develop the cooler-running die shrink to .18um, the K6-2+.

Don't get me wrong sir... The K6-2 was a good CPU. My 500 ran for a while before going kaput, and now another 500 is in the mobo.

Faster than any PII or PIII of equivalent clock speed. Paired with the EP-MVP3G5, 2MB L2 cache, oh mamma!

my parents have my old K6-2 500 ( i sold my K6-2+ 500 for something.. oh yeah.. my athlon ) but i think because it is a hot chip that it is ending its run of life... the computer crashes constantly and win2K didnt fix it, then new HSF (bigger, meaner) only gave it another 3 months of stability.
    me thinjks that chip is dying... oh well, it has had a good life...

Ultimate Member
    Yes, it must be suffering from migration.

A tip: Try increasing the core voltage to 2.4v. It'll help stave of the instability for at least another year. If you have to pump it up to 2.8v in order to get it stable then it won't last more than a few months without frying, even at low temps.

im tired so you may have ment this a different way above but OCed = Over Clocked