Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: LCD vs FLAT CRT??

No, i was replying to your post, you said

Point of the Story you need a Fast System and a 64ram VGa Card to push LCD, i asked a guy i know in a PC store and he say same thing "A 32mb VGA card will be OK but a 64mb VGA Card will be more rite that way you have memory for the LCD and for Games & Movies" then he say "After all the LCD Screens came out after a 1ghz system".
    And i replyed

And lcds came out before 1ghz, cuz laptops use lcd screens, and they came out before 1ghz
    See, i did read b4 i posted

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Slade54
    Um....the only reason there should be a slow down like that is because an lcd uses a digital instead of analogue, right? Well, i would take it that the card cant process digital signals nearly as fast as analogue, thats your problem.

And lcds came out before 1ghz, cuz laptops use lcd screens, and they came out before 1ghz
    The LCD has DAC circuitry in itself; it won't slow down the CPU or impair it in any way. It's just like saying a red car appears to be going faster than one that's blue because it sticks out more.

Gone
    Exactly.

Originally posted by causticVapor

The LCD has DAC circuitry in itself; it won't slow down the CPU or impair it in any way. It's just like saying a red car appears to be going faster than one that's blue because it sticks out more.
    so a white car will go faster than the equivalent red one? I await your answer as, I have a bucket of white emulsion here that's going to get tipped over my grey car tomorrow!

Oh yeah!... that same DA converter circuitry could be faulty or incompatible with the OS/BIOS.
    Last edited by Strawbs; 11-28-2002 at 11:14 AM.

Its the graphics card that processes and sends the signal to the monitor, if the card cant process it fast enough, then it doesnt matter how fast the monitor is if its not recieving info fast enough to keep it under a full load.

Though with monitors, and cards these days, that isnt a problem, but with older cards, it might be, not so much as monitors.

Gone
    Even 1 and 2mb video cards have driven lcd's for years. And yes there is no friggen dif. between a pc lcd and a lappy one. NONE. Notta they are made the same, they run the same, they both have the same kinda controlers.

But i wouldnt be surprised if that person was trying to run the lcd on a really old 512k isa graphics card.

Gone
    Originally posted by Slade54
    But i wouldnt be surprised if that person was trying to run the lcd on a really old 512k isa graphics card.
    Yea, that would be no surprise at all. Im sure it would also be a problem.

I like LCDs personally...I gamed on my DELL Inspiron's 12" 800x600 for 2 years, and that was the sweetest 800x600 I ever saw! I did watch DivX movies on TV, but that's only if I got the energy up to go to the living room first

I have a 15" CRT at home, and it sucks. It displays games, and that's all I need it to do. At work I have a 19" DELL Trinitron CRT, and fighting with the geometric anomalies is a real pain. Sweet view at 1600x1200 for my desktop, but still a pain having to adjust it every now and again.

I'd kill for a 17" LCD, simply because I know it would look amazing at 1280x1024. No tweaking needed, just sit back and enjoy the crispness.

The low power consumption is always a plus

The clarity is killer... I keep telling my boss I'll trade in my 19" CRT for a 17" LCD... he just keeps on laughing at me

We bought two 17" Samsung black LCDs two months ago, just to ship them along with some mining equipment over 1000' underground. They were displays for equipment that was computerized, nothing more. What a waste, eh?

Logan

Have you guys kinda noticed the AMD vs Intel similarites here?
    AMD = CRT, best bang for your buck, you know your getting something good when you lay down your money
    Intel = LCD, when it comes to the highend stuffs, it kicks, but in the mid/low range, AMD/CRT still kick more

Ultimate Member
    If you want LCD greatness and are value-conscious as well, get a good 15-incher like the 563LE.

LCDs do not produce such high-energy concentrated light but distributes the brightness through the crystals. It may look a bit "cloudy" but the swimming problem was alleviated a while back. The only bad thing is the blurring with really, really fast graphics and when dialogs are moved around, combined with the fact that lower resultions look like cr@p due to the averaging.

IMO, I don't care what people say about CRTS, they're still firing beams of electrons and photons right at your eyes and that causes strain. LCD light is more distributed and has produces more candelas at the lower end of the contrast spectrum.

I'm not saying CRTs are bad; they have plusses as well including high refresh rates; however, these all go away a the high resulutions. They do have higher dot pitch, but that is not really noticeable... and I've never seen a CRT as crisp as an LCD in its "proper" resolution... never...

CRTs are heavy...hot... and can explode if the cathode is punctured.

Sure, LCD technology has room for improvement but then again so do CRTs

I worked for NEC's Goshino LCD manufacturing plant in Japan for a couple of years. They had a fish tank in the front hall that was three lcds linked together.

They were prototype units. The 2 side ones were 19" the centre one was 26". They all ran at 1200x1600 res and had custom controllers that operated each lcd 'pixel' individually (P4-Gamer was mentioning how lcds are grouped together into 3s in current lcds earlier).

This thing was indistinguishable from a normal fish tank and used less electricity than a heated, lit tank would normally use. People just assumed they were real fish. One of the engineers I worked with said the images where actually better than real life because he could mess with the controllers to enhance the fish by reducing the water distortion.

They were fighting with the submarining (ghosting) problem between '98 and '00 when I was there, but they got it beat. The 26" display I got to teach with was unbelievable.

I haven't been back there in two and a half years. I wonder what they're experimenting with now.

so what's better!? CRT? or LCD?

a vote for lcd

this is from a person that has both

Ultimate Member
    The LCD will eventually emerge as the winner.