Thread: IBM's 3D IC

IBM's 3D IC

Haven't heard much from IBM in awhile, good to hear they're still alive and kicking..

Seems like IBM have been happy to sit back and allow Intel and AMD sweat it out while IBM have beavered away at a tangent. Some of the most recent IBM news announcements look very interesting indeed. The next few years look promising.

Cooling

Would this affect cooling much? Removing heat from a thin 2d surface is relatively easy. What would happen to a layer wedged between two others? I know we are only talking about very small measurements here but it would have to have some affect.

maybe we'll see some little vents on the sides and/or tops of these chips. imagine how much easier it would be to cool them then . . .

IBM does Motorola

I know for a fact that IBM in at least 2 plants does chips for Motorola Power PC chips

You know what that means MAC stuff eEEEEEK
    Fishercat

but they're STILL not IBM compatible. weird huh? :P

well thats gonna be gr8 cuz i heard that mac is considering changin their computer architecure to x86 so the motorola chips r useless

then all macs will be obsolete

Ultimate Member
    Well, it'll allow trace lengths to be shorter, which is good new if we want to achieve really high frequencies

frequency isn't the only way to acheive the perception of speed

tru u also got to remeber the shell that macs run its dosent kill the processor lyke windows does.. the only good ms product that i still lyke is dos and that wasnt even created by them

IBM 3D IC? Doesn't this mean one of those Icee drinks? Cold! I was under the impression that AMD (because of the core being above the processor base a bit) that it was already 3D. Whoever said the Vents.. I see a Mustang with Pipes coming out with Fire! Makes you really wonder what this thing will look like.

it's being used in IC's, so probably like just any other IC, except maybe taller

Actually,

for the Mac-o-phobes out there:

The Motorola RISC processors have proven themselves to be far more effecient that standard x86 CISC chips.

That is why 500 Mhz G4 can match with a 1500 Mhz PC.

DEC had some top of the lines chips years ago using the Alpha chips (64-bit RICS).

As far as the Mac goes on its own, the interface is too dumbed-down, and the software too-high-priced for me. So I'll stay with my PC (it might not have the same power, but it works, *cough cough* *Windows* errrrr, well, sometimes!).
    ~-~ The simplest things become infinitely complicated when coupled with the limitless incompetence of stupid people. ~-~