Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive wont appear in my computer

Hard Drive wont appear in my computer

I just bougth a maxtor 7200 rpm 40gb hard drive. I reinstalled windows onto my old hard drive, cuz it wasnt working right. I wanted to add the maxtor drive as additional storage, but it wont appear in my computer, it does however appear under hard disks in device manager... Can anyone explain what is going on here?

Hmmm... did you partition and format the 2nd hard drive?

Jumper set correctly? If you have two hdd's and both are set the same, you'll get this problem.

Are you using Winders XP? I had the same problem, with adding a WD 40Gig hard drive. You have to mount the hard drive using some administrative application and then you can format it and it will show up under explorer and my computer. I don't remember exactly how you do it, but thats what needs to be done if you are using XP.

Tor

If it doesn't show up in bios, your bios may be limited to 32mb drives (or less). If that is the case, you have to use the jumper on the maxtor drive to limit the number of cylinders and then use ezbios to format it. Go to the Maxtor website for info.

he says that he see's it in his hardware profiles.

and I am sure he uses win2k/xp, so he would have to go to his desktop and right click on "my computer" and then select manage.

Then select the Disk Management console under storage. and he should see an exclamation point over the drive, and he should right click and either select Import if it states that it's a foreign disk, or re-enable if it shows that it has online errors.

The only other times that I've seen that the system see's the drive under it's hardware profiles and it being 9x/me is because the drive isn't formated under fat/fat32. Remember that 9x/me can't see NTFS, and they cannot be booted or see at all a dynamic disk

Yea i run windows 98, i tried formatting it under fat32 but it doesnt show up still. It appears under bios too, i checked in the setup

did you run fdisk first? if not, run fdisk to partition the drive. you can then format the drive from dos or windows.

ok i loaded up fdisk, went to partition it and got his message....

unable to acces drive 2

what motherboard do you have?

like someone mentioned, the bios may be limited to 32GB, and you would either 1)have to use ez-bios or 2) get a pci ide controller card.

I have the intel d845ebg2 motherboard. The thing is that the hard drive was working fine before i reinstalled windows, so im not sure what is up with it

the bios should handle a 40GB.

did you set the bios to autodetect the hdds? are both drives on the same ide channel? if so, do you have the proper jumper settings? try putting only 1 hard drive per ide channel and see what happens.

For the jumpers:
    Depending on your Channe (one or two), you need to configure the jumpers accordingly. Lets say you have 2 harddrives and 2 ROM drives. You need to put the first Hard Drive (call it C) on "Master' The second HD (call it D), needs to be set to 'slave'. This can be accomplished by moving the jumpers on the back of the HD to configure it accordingly. Read your users maunal for more info. Lastly, put the IDE cable into C and D, and into Channle One of your motherboard (it should say in tiny white letters 'IDE1'. If your old, get your kid/neighbor to do it, it's very small.)

The same goes for the ROM Drives. But put the faster one (DVD is faster than CD and CDRW, etc) as 'Master' and the slower as 'Slave'. This can be done with the jumpers the same way the Hard Drives were done. Plug the IDE cable into the drives and into Channle 2 (usualy below channle 1).

If you still have a problem, post it. I have a feeling though (I just went through this on my sisters computer) that its the jumpers fault.

Doc

yup tried even the jumpers, still no luck.....