Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Failed to load the Internet Connection Wizard Helper Component

Failed to load the Internet Connection Wizard Helper Component

in winME: Every time I click on setup for the Internet Connection Wizard, it screws up!(I'm using a different computer at the moment)

the following error messages come up when I click on the button or try the shortcut in the start menu program group..... 1.Error Message "Failed to load the Internet Connection Wizard Helper Component" 2.Error Message "Icwconn1 has caused an error in ICWUTIL.DLL"

i believe this is what is causing my lan/dsl not to work since it's the only thing that is giving me any problems at all.

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Try system restore, select a date before you had the problem, might have to setup your connection again but may work this time around.

Look on your hard drive for Windows Update Setup Files. Run IE[pick-a-number]SETUP from there. It should reinstall INETWIZ.
    MS MCP, MCSE

just when i thought there was hope

i found the folder and ran ie5setup and it gives me an error that says something like its not the correct files for my operating system and it has to connect to windows update which i cant since there is no internet.

so next i try extracting the dll and exe from the cab into the internet connection wizard folder but no luck.

then i attempt to copy older files of that from another drive while moving my current files to a folder i named backup. the wizard now runs from the shortcut in my program groups but not in the browser itself. it doesnt keep the settings intact.

Originally posted by BipolarBill
    Look on your hard drive for Windows Update Setup Files. Run IE[pick-a-number]SETUP from there. It should reinstall INETWIZ.
    Last edited by iceblue; 11-10-2002 at 11:35 PM.

oh and about system restore, i had been using winME in and out occasionally but rarely and not for any internet apps so i believe that any restore date would have been annihilated already. plus after a while i just disabled it sometime when i was trying to rid my system of some ghostly hd activity that happened whenever it was idle.

If you have a recent MS product on CD (or even an MSN ISP disk), you can likely find a newer version of IExSETUP on it. Actually, most ISP disks will have it.
    MS MCP, MCSE

thanks for the tip. before i came here i tried reinstalling ie from an aol 6.0 disk and it happened to have ie5.5, no difference except for a provided by aol title and an ugly aol flashy logo. i promptly got rid of both and snipped 'microsoft' from the title while i was at it. then yesterday while i was out (before i read your post) i grabbed a free aol 8 cd from a store and that still had ie5, so now i am no where. msn stopped mailing free cd's eons ago... i have only gotten one cd from them so far. no recent MS product purchases either. no other ISPs bother to mail like MSN or AOL do..

If you have a recent MS product on CD (or even an MSN ISP disk), you can likely find a newer version of IExSETUP on it. Actually, most ISP disks will have it.
    Last edited by iceblue; 11-11-2002 at 03:41 PM.

Just head down to your local Best Buy/CompUSA. They will have the latest disks there.
    MS MCP, MCSE

may be one hella problem that u wont be able to solve...

i managed to get the last disc from the best buy right in the comforts of my city (how did they run out? its MSN!!)

installed IE6 and tried the wizard. same error message, so i try if the internet is any different- mucho problemo. now i have IE6 and still nothing works.

this is hell.

Just head down to your local Best Buy/CompUSA. They will have the latest disks there.

^

Have you tried reinstalling WinME? Do so. You won't lose anything. This is obviously a system problem masquerading as a browser one.
    MS MCP, MCSE

i actually did reinstall winME over the current installation and i gained an error message during use and another during shutdown (illegal operation). it did fix my network neighborhood and thats about it. when i ping the ip in "winipcfg" it returns no response.

==error during shutdown==
    Msgsrv32
    error in SFMAN32.DLL

==error while idle=======
    Winmgmt has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL... restart your computer..blah blah blah
    Last edited by iceblue; 11-16-2002 at 07:58 PM.

Gone
    Sounds like this is WAY bigger than just IE problems....how about hardware. Do you dual boot? And if you do is the other OS acting funny at all?

i sure do dual boot- xp + me..

xp has been having problems since i applied a windows update security patch and i havent been able to even login to windows. (still waiting for my xp cd to be returned so i can try a repair)

then i decided to work with winME. the condition of xp affects winME?

Originally posted by $1500-P4 gamer
    Sounds like this is WAY bigger than just IE problems....how about hardware. Do you dual boot? And if you do is the other OS acting funny at all?

Gone
    Well one OS wont effect the other (unless bootloader is fudged!)but for both to be screwed up it points to hardware or virus etc. Kinda unusual for both OS's to dump at the same time. Have you scanned for viruses with a updated scanner latley? Also how about setting up dial up networking through the control panel instead of the wizard, does that do anything different? A last thought maybe to disable all programs from startup and try reinstalling IE from there. Hit start>run>msconfig.....then go to startup group and disable all but scanreg. Taskmon. PChealth. Load power profile. Scheduling agent and state manager.
    Sounds like one weird problem! A stumper at that. A reinstall maybe the only option if these all fail I hate to say it.