Thread: Linux editors

Linux editors

I've been looking around and does Redhat have "pico" as an editor? All I can read about is vi and emacs, which I have no prior experience with.

I've heard that vi is very frustrating (at least under unix) so what is the perferred editor in Linux, thanks for any suggestions.

Midnight Commander

mcedit "filename"

I guess that RedHat includes pico (but I could be mistaken)

I prefer emacs, personally. highly configurable, found on almost any Unix and Linux version, fairly easy to use (esp. the X11 version and Xemacs). Practically created with programmers in mind. Don't leave Windows w/o it.

I tried vi for a bit, and it can be a pain (that, and it takes up the entire console window instead opening a new instance)

haven't tried MC yet.

Yes Redhat 8.0 does have the pico Editor also
    ergc, midnight commander, nedit, vi, vim, emacs, and the list goes on when you do an install take time and careful attention so go through the individual packages to see what you are installing, there are a whole bunch of useful packages that you can throw in.

RH has pico? Man I really don't have a clue what Im doing then, and have no clue where to find stuff

I'm reading as much as I can but its just so frusterating not being able to do what you want to do right away. Last night it took me two hours to find what the path my CD-Rom was. (and im not 100% sure thats even right).

Patience I guess

Well at least I have pico! Thanks everyone

you should be able to just type the command

pico <filename>

or you may have to put the entire path - I imagine it would be in /usr/bin

so try /usr/bin/pico <filename> if the first one doesn't work