Thread: Little arrows back again

Little arrows back again

I am running win98 se, after installing the latest windows update my icons on my desktop have the little arrow again. I went to tweakUI and made sure that I had the none box checked for the shortcut overlay (the little arrow). No matter what I try the arrows will not go away. Suggestions??

RT

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Try using repair icons in tweakui or reinstall tweakui.

existing icons won't change but any new ones will. go back and make new ones and you'll see

I have already tried everything, but re-installing windows which I will not do.

Re: Little arrows back again

Originally posted by RLT65
    I am running win98 se, after installing the latest windows update my icons on my desktop have the little arrow again. I went to tweakUI and made sure that I had the none box checked for the shortcut overlay (the little arrow). No matter what I try the arrows will not go away. Suggestions??

RT
    Well its too late to close the barn doors now

I suggest that you learn from this experience (as I did when I thought I had to have the lastest win 98 upgrades, only to find that 98se works best with no upgrades) and dont upgrade win 98se anymore.
    its hard to soar with eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys

Remove desktop themes, cold boot, then reinstall desktop themes if you can't live without them.

If that doesn't fix it, Repair the Icon Cache

Use this setting if Windows is displaying incorrect or corrupted icons for your programs and shortcuts.

Windows maintains a cached copy of all the icons on the system to avoid having to reload the icons every time they are displayed. If this icon cache becomes corrupt then the wrong icons may be shown.

To clear the icons cache make sure you can view hidden files and then open your Windows directory in Explorer and delete the file called "ShellIconCache".

When you restart Windows the icon cache file will be automatically recreated.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Okay all you hackers, you have been given an assignment to hack into Paramufay's system since he is running Win98 without any security updates at all!!!

Some people will never learn.

I ran into the same problem a while ago.

Fixed it HERE

I don't use tweak anymore.

The Sysopt.com Users 2002 SETI@home team website is now ONLINE!!! WooHoo. It can be found at www.setiteam.com. If you would like to contribute to the site or the team have a look HERE
    FREE POP3 & Web based e-mail for all active members yourname@setiteam.com 5MB attachments!!! Come get some It is useless to resist,for we will soon conquer you completely!

It's fixed!! If it was'nt for the sysopt forums, I would throw my PC in the river & drown it!

Thanks all, RT

Great:)

Hi RLT65

Sure glad you got the arrows problem fixed the way you want them

I'm mot sure what you did but I am sure it is listed in the thread, which I will priint out and put with another thread on this subject.

Just my 2 cents worth for those who have lost the use of Tweek UI short cut arrow functionality, It is usually do to a windoz update that has been downloaded and installed and the installation modifies the content of the syatem file "System32.dll" If one wants to have the functionality back in Tweek UI the file can be replaced using SFC and replacing the file from "Options/ cabs" or from the windoz disk.

If one does this though they will loose the functionality of the update.

But it is another fix that I thought should be added to the thread so that it would be archived and part of any further search on the topic/s.

This is the fix I used as I really did not need the update after reading what it was for, a highly unlikely senerio as far as I was concerned. But I evaluated the risk vs downside for me, and one should do the same for their own situation, before replacing the System32.dll file. Me I use Tweek UI and several other Tweak programs rather than editing the registry directly, (my preference) to modify my puters characteristics.

Again, glad ya got it fixed
    Brian
    Always something to learn.
    Knowledge is power, and knowledge is where you get it
    -----------------------------
    I've learned....
    That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

433mhz Celeron, 160+ memory, IBM Series i LapTop loaded with software
    Win98 SE, Office 2000

Originally posted by Sterling_Aug
    Okay all you hackers, you have been given an assignment to hack into Paramufay's system since he is running Win98 without any security updates at all!!!

Some people will never learn.
    knock yourself out pal
    its hard to soar with eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys

LOL. but the mans right, a clean install of any MS system without updating is like going to bed with all your windows and doors open. No, more like, not having any windows and doors.

How many of leave our keys in the car? (i don't count cos I got a bit of a memory problem, see)
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Originally posted by Ammok
    LOL. but the mans right, a clean install of any MS system without updating is like going to bed with all your windows and doors open. No, more like, not having any windows and doors.

How many of leave our keys in the car? (i don't count cos I got a bit of a memory problem, see)
    I don't need a key. I've got a junkyard dirt dog that guards the truck. Besides the ignition switch has worked without a key for years now. I keep all the windows open at night but close the doors, 'cause that damned dirt dog will sneak in and raid the trash.