Thread: k6-2 550 wont go above 525 on asus p5a

k6-2 550 wont go above 525 on asus p5a

i got my k6-2 550 processor today and with great excitement installed it only to come face to face with windows ever charming "Windows protection error" screen.

I have all jumpers set right.
    2.3 V core, 100 Mhz bus, 5.5 multiplier

The chip wont go above 525mhz, in fact it wont accept any multiplier above 5 or bus 110 mhz.

right now i am running 105 mhz bus, 5 multiplier. which runs ok.

the error i get is:
    "While initializing device configmg:
    Windows protection error.You need to restart your computer"

I checked microsofts web site, they suggest 2 things which i tried with no luck.

i asked a computer store, they said asus p5a and 550 are very unstable ?!? anyone encountered this before AND found a solution?

Have you flashed the mobo with the newest bios?
    Does your mobo support that speed of cpu?

Looks like you might be fighting a losing battle...

From the depths of the Forum archives, check this out:

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...ht=k62+550+p5a

Pay close attention to "scotter's" posts. He was the P5a guru here once upon a time.

I hope this is of some help to you, and Welcome to Sysopt!
    Last edited by deore101; 12-08-2001 at 06:14 PM.

You might need to try 2.4 Volts. I have never heard of AMD K6 2 chips running at 2.3 volts. 2.2 and 2.4 are the only voltages I am familiar with K6 2s running. I am sure you are aware of the chip settings engraved on the chip cover.

I am running a AMD K6 2 500 at 550 w/ 2.4 volts, default voltage is 2.2. It has been running this way for about 18 months now. I have several PCs using K6 2 chips all overclocked to some degree.

What OS are you running? If it is windows95 (maybe it still exists....): there is an incompatibility issue between win95 and 350mhz or higher K6-II CPUs. You get the error message you were talking about. There was a patch for this bug available for download on the AMD website and the Microsoft website. I hope it's still there, and if it is not send me a message. I will send it to you. Good Luck,

Arthur

If you are running Win95, follow arthur888's directions.

Recordlord - yes, 550 K6-2 run at 2.3 V. It's even written on the chip. They are the only ones. Previous K6-2s were 2.2V and K6-III was 2.4V.

Update your BIOS if you haven't already to version 1007a.

BTW, I'm using a 550 K6-2 (stock speed) on a P5A and it works very well.

Set the voltage to 2.4v. I have a k6-2 500@550 on a p5a-b with 2.4v.

thanks for the replies guys.

i set the core voltage to 2.4 . it works fine right now - i am runnig at 550. the core voltage is printed as 2.3 on the chip though.
    i tried going above 550 while keeping voltage at 2.4 and just increasing the bus frq but it wont let me. i keep getting the same "windows protection error". actually i didnt try increasing the voltage - i was too eager just to get it working.

when idle the case temp is 32, cpu is 47 degrees. it went as high as 52 under heavy load. so i might try to increase the voltage with the bus frequency. i think the chip can take a bit more heat. the old chip k62-400, was running about 58 to 62 degrees. so the new fan is pretty efficient considering it is about three times bigger in volume than the k6-2 400 fan.

but i've read k6-2 doesnt overclock very well. i'll let you know if i manage any higher speeds.

thanks again for the replies.

what a disaster !

well my overclocking attempts failed when win98 decided to rebuild the registery from an old backup !

when i tried to overclock to 605 (110x5.5) the computer just froze and when i reboot, i had a blue screen with "registery corrupt, need to reload from backup ..etc etc"

so now i have a big mess since i didnt have a recent backup. i needed to reinstall some programs and some drivers for the devices. but still it was a scare. i think i'll settle for 550 for a while.

If you get a good Heat/Sink and Fan (GlobalWin FOP32-1) you might get it up to 600MHz max at 2.5 core volts (do not go higher then 2.5v). Also you might try 105 x 5.5 or even 112 x5.

I have never been able to make it reach 600, even with 2.5V. I'm leaving it to 550.

Ultimate Member
    yes it's been a while

but hey just desided to drop in and say HI

make sure you run some bench marks on that chip to see what it's really doing if you have a older revison of the P5A you should be fine but with a revision 1.5 or 1.6 you could run into performance problems that you will not beable to fix with that chip on that board.

the highest overclock you are going to see is 575 MHz forget ever seeing 600 with a K6-2 aint gona happen totaly stable and or for very long with out super cooling the chip
    also if your temps are running over 50c thats to high for a K6
    find a way to get it running below 50c all the time around 45 max will make it a happy camper for ever

yeah ha
    I keep forgeting what I thought I knew

NOW this is a old post.
    Lost 10,000 miles from home and loving it!!