Thread: Flash Award to AMI

Flash Award to AMI

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo 800S computer with a MSI 6398 845 Ultra Motherboard. It works nicely, but there is one detail I'm not very happy about.

MSI say it should be AMI BIOS on that motherboard (only AMI BIOS avalible for that Motherboard on the MSI website). However, Fujitsu has forced Award BIOS in there...

I'm not sure if it's caused by Fujitsu modifications in the BIOS, but I cannot select important stuff like AGP speed (ie 2x, 4x) or Fast write in the Award BIOS. A friend got the same motherboard, but he's got the AMI BIOS instead and he can change all that.

The friend and I have the same hardware (P4 2.0, 1024mb ram, GF3ti200) and OS (Win2k, same drivers), but his computer score much higher in 3dmark2k1. The only real diffrence is the BIOS, and those settings...

Is it possible to flash an Award BIOS into a AMI BIOS?

Or, is it possible to change those settings in Award BIOS using some secret tool?

Thanks for any help!

I don't think it's possible, you would probably end up with a non-booting pc.

You may be able to order a new AMI BIOS chip and swap them out tho'.

If I were you I would use desktop software to make the changes, Something like NVMax or RivaTuner may help.

P.S. Welcome to SysOpt.
    Last edited by Strawbs; 10-20-2002 at 09:31 AM.

The reason I asked is because the power supply I have got max 150W (3.3v + 5v), and fast writes could make the gfx card draw too much juice from the system and reboot.

Will try and get a better power supply instead..

Ultimate Member
    JEBUS CRIPES!! - your running that offa 150Watts

Get a 350W ASAP!

--Jakk

The supply is 350 already, but it can only dish out 150W max with 3.3V + 5V. That's the voltage most cards use, so if you have lots of cards (network cards, sound cards, grafic cards, usb card, blah-blah cards), the system could have a power shortage and reboot...

Check your power supply - it should say how much power it can give at those levels... The sad thing is you can get a 450W power supply, and still get 150W output at that level.

Ultimate Member
    Ah right - you se ei thought you meant you had a 150W PSU.. i was gonna say...

--Jakk

Re: Flash Award to AMI

Originally posted by Zeshin
    Is it possible to flash an Award BIOS into a AMI BIOS?

Or, is it possible to change those settings in Award BIOS using some secret tool?

Thanks for any help!
    you can try it if you like.
    1.get an old mobo
    2.flash it with AMI bios
    3.remove the bios chip from the old mobo and place it into the Msi 6398