Thread: Installations

Installations

Hey there, everytime I install something new on my computer, the next time I boot up, the resolution is in the lowest setting, along with the colors. And then some applications freeze up, (ie: eudora) until I run a scan disk and it corrects the problem. Does anyone have any possible explanations for this? Thank you. -Brian

Run a virus scan and reinstall your video drivers.

Re: Installations

Originally posted by merkel04
    Hey there, everytime I install something new on my computer, the next time I boot up, the resolution is in the lowest setting, along with the colors. And then some applications freeze up, (ie: eudora) until I run a scan disk and it corrects the problem. Does anyone have any possible explanations for this? Thank you. -Brian
    I have the same problem with voodoo3 cards - game installs, etc. sometimes flip the video back down to lowest resolution, etc.

like ApeOr said - reinstall the video drivers (heck, for awhile there I even had an icon on the desktop to do it for the kid's machines that had the same card)

however, what's scandisk telling you - wonder why that seems to fix the problem?

Re: Installations

Originally posted by merkel04
    Does anyone have any possible explanations for this?
    yes, it can be caused by bad sector, CRoss linked files, or a shy magnetic platter

if you have 2 or more partitions backup all your stuff to the 2nd partition and reformat the partition you are having problem with

then run scandisk so it can mark the bad sectors if any.

2nd possible cause besides a week magnetic platter, will simply be the drivers are no good for the video card.

what is the brand and model of your video card?

which drivers are you using?