Thread: Nvidia geforce drivers wont work with red Hat 7.3

Nvidia geforce drivers wont work with red Hat 7.3

I am running Red Hat 7.3 (kernel 2.4.18-3) and I have a geforce 256 card.So I went to nvidias site and downloaded the kernel patch and the GLX,both in tar format (since the RPMs also didnt work,because after installing and configuring everything X said that the nvidia driver couldnt be loaded).So I untarred them both and did a make in the NVIDIA_GLX folder,which worked,but when I do a make in the NVIDIA_KERNEL folder I get this errors:

cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wparentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wno-multichar -O -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_GNU_SOURCE -DRM_HEAPMGR -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1 -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=3123 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNVCPU_X86 -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wno-cast-qual nv.c
    In file included from /usr/include/linux/vmalloc.h:8,
    from nv-linux.h:57,
    from nv.c:14:
    /usr/include/asm/pgtable.h:17:24: asm/fixmap.h: Onbekend bestand of map
    In file included from nv-linux.h:60,
    /usr/include/linux/delay.h:13:23: asm/delay.h: Onbekend bestand of map
    In file included from nv-linux.h:64,
    /usr/include/linux/interrupt.h:44:25: asm/hardirq.h: Onbekend bestand of map
    /usr/include/linux/interrupt.h:45:25: asm/softirq.h: Onbekend bestand of map
    In file included from nv.c:14:
    nv-linux.h:68:75: asm/uaccess.h: Onbekend bestand of map
    In file included from /usr/include/linux/highmem.h:5,
    from nv-linux.h:75,
    /usr/include/asm/pgalloc.h:6:24: asm/fixmap.h: Onbekend bestand of map
    In file included from nv-linux.h:111,
    /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h:1:2: #error Invalid kernel header included in userspace
    make: *** [nv.o] Fout 1

Does anybody know how I can fix this?
    Thank you in advance.

Firstly make sure you are using the appropriate files, Nvidia has a nifty little program that can tell you exactly what you need, it is available among their Linux drivers. Secondly, are you making all the necessary changes to your XF86Config file?

first off I'm no linux expert,, just install RH 7.2 last week finally,, "had severe driver issues", I just did a google search on the problem,, and it seems alot of folks are having a hard time with the compile in that sequence. this is what they say to change it to when you make"don't know what that is yet just quoting [root K gis2 root]# more /usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h
    I guess you just need to substitute your variables, this is the link I got it from not alot here just some questions and answers... good luck I hope this helps but who knows... L********N_____U+++++X

This is what it should have looked like...
    root@gis2 root]# more /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h
    #error Invalid kernel header included in userspace
    [root@gis2 root]#
    [root@gis2 root]# more /usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h
    Last edited by tranka32; 10-15-2002 at 07:50 PM.
    asus p3c-2000
    P-II 400-100fsb
    320 mb pc133 sdram
    windows xp
    4x agp ecs-ag315T
    (building new system, someday, soon I hope)

Originally posted by Ape0r
    Firstly make sure you are using the appropriate files, Nvidia has a nifty little program that can tell you exactly what you need, it is available among their Linux drivers. Secondly, are you making all the necessary changes to your XF86Config file?
    Its called nvchooser and I tried it,but I like I said those RPM's didnt work so I tried the tar files,which dont work either.
    Why should I configure my XF86Config-4 file,if I cant even install the kernel patch?I have tried changing my XF86Config-4 config file,but when i reboot X wont start and I get the error that "nvdriver cant be loaded" (I get this both with the RPM's and the TAR's).

Originally posted by tranka32
    first off I'm no linux expert,, just install RH 7.2 last week finally,, "had severe driver issues", I just did a google search on the problem,, and it seems alot of folks are having a hard time with the compile in that sequence. this is what they say to change it to when you make"don't know what that is yet just quoting [root K gis2 root]# more /usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h
    I guess you just need to substitute your variables, this is the link I got it from not alot here just some questions and answers... good luck I hope this helps but who knows... L********N_____U+++++X

This is what it should have looked like...
    root@gis2 root]# more /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h
    #error Invalid kernel header included in userspace
    [root@gis2 root]#
    Thanks for the link,but I cant get it to work.
    /usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h doesn't exist and how do I "use the files from kernel include tree"?

Look at the last few lines of your original post.. /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h:1:2: #error Invalid kernel header included in userspace

I say there is a problem with this internally I don't know how to fix it but the values are wrong, If you can get in this needs to be substituted along with your nv variables..
    [root@gis2 root]#
    ^
    (nv.13)
    thats just an example nothing solid on the nvidia variable, look at your original post and read what's happening... maybe it will help.. sorry
    asus p3c-2000
    P-II 400-100fsb
    320 mb pc133 sdram
    windows xp
    4x agp ecs-ag315T

Hmm,I still dont know how to fix this,someone suggested me to install a new kernel.So I am going to install that,although I doubt it will help.

I'll suggest RedHat 8 instead
    most of the people here at work have upgraded and we run Geforce 4 and they all work fine

Hmm,that sounds easier,but can I upgrade rh7.3 to rh8 8(with the ISOs from their site)?

yes you can

all Linuxes will let you Upgrade from a Previous version

what those CD does in those cases is to simply copy new stuff over, and fixes your library pathways

and put in the new kernel

what system architecture are you running.. this needs to match up to use the rpm... you didn't state that earlier. To obtain this. from the shell #(to get kernel architecture=) rpm -q --qf '%{ARCH}\n" kernel
    (to get kernel version=) uname -r

But like all gamer said upgrade to 8.0 if you wish...
    Also are you familiar with the rpm I had trouble by first time.. "I don't know if you are a user or just installing for the first time, so sorry if I offend you".

(the parenths. are just me talking) type what follows
    Last edited by tranka32; 10-16-2002 at 11:02 AM.
    asus p3c-2000
    P-II 400-100fsb
    320 mb pc133 sdram
    windows xp
    4x agp ecs-ag315T

d/l the source rpm, from nvidia and change those values,,, then install, of course you'll need a linux box for that,, or put an old video card in that is compatible...
    asus p3c-2000
    P-II 400-100fsb
    320 mb pc133 sdram
    windows xp
    4x agp ecs-ag315T

uname -a returns this:
    Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.18-3 #1 Thu Apr 18 07:32:41 EDT 2002 i686 unknown

I tried the RPM'S that nvchooser told me,and they didnt work.I could try the source RPMS,but if the source tarballs didnt work I think its useless.