Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Asus A7N266-VM

Thanks for the reply. Here is the way it is setup in the bios acpi suspend to ram support disabled cpu s2kdisconnect for s1 disable video off option suspend->off video off dpms off hdd power down disable pwr button soft off. In XP power options power schemes home office turn monitor off after 20 min turn hard disk off never system standby never when I press the power button shut down

maximus, I'm stumped.

But maybe you should back up your data and do a fresh install of XP. I always recommend doing it that way (at least I've had much better luck with fresh installs).
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

Thanks. I was thinking that may be a last choice.. That will be this weekend's fun. I will let you know if it fixes it...

hey peeps, I bought this board for a new system I built for a customer. I put in XP home on it and an Athlon 2400+ CPU. I noticed that sometimes, usually not the first time the PC is fired up, the windows xp start up screen has 2 artifacts running across the screen. Each artifact is a line, about a pixel wide, but running horizontally all the way across the screen, it appears about 2 seconds into win XP loading. I reformatted and tried to reinstall XP and same thing. However, when XP loads, no problems with video afterwards. ANy ideas? (I'm running 256 MB Crucial RAM w/ 32MB shared video)

edit- I should probably add that the temps on teh system are 43*C for the CPU and 37-39*C Mobo
    Last edited by lost-and-found; 05-29-2003 at 12:20 AM.

lost-and-found,

it may be something as simple as a glitchy video cable (like not perfectly fitted or a bad wire). I at first thought you were experiencing a cracked core(GPU), but probably not at this point (however watch for it). Were I you I'd try playing a DirectX 7 era game and see what you can/can't see.

ß
    George Orwell

hey, thanks for the reply, I'm running the setup on the standard onboard video. I've tried running it on several different monitors and with no luck. I'll see about the game, probably Fifa 2001 should do it, right?

Sure, that'll work. Really any game that uses Transform & Lighting will work. I suggest this because if you want to test the video subsystem you need to stress it with something relevant.

And just like anything else you find the problem via the process of elimination. You stated that you've used several different monitors with no luck. Provided you know all those other monitors to work it begins to sound like the motherboard. It may be a piece of debris in the VGA plug. Who knows?

GL

ß
    George Orwell

ok, ran Fifa 2001 w/o any video problems, ran, AOE II conquerors, ran UT on it and none of the games showed any video problems.

I'm about to say send it back, but then I have one more question:
    which BIOS are you using? It may be a voltage irregularity that a fresh new BIOS may fix.

And if that don't work send it back.
    George Orwell

Sound Issues with nforce 1 boards & windows 98 SE:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19705

This gent had sound performance issues with 98SE and an nforce1 based board. The FIX ends up being a M$ WDM Audio Hotfix from Microsoft, case # Q242937), found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;242937

edit: from Nvidia's site:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_win98se_udf.html
    They too advise installing this Hotfix for 98se users.

I'm going to do a little study on my a7n266-c to see that this hotfix actually solves the stuttering issues I had (yanked out the Asus card quick and dropped in 'Ole Faithful'). If it does the SB Live 5.1 will just go into a future second computer and I'll find contentment finally with the free 6 channel sound so far neglected by me.

edit2: I've yanked out the SB and installed my 6-ch nforce audio card. After bumbling a bit with the 'ease' of P&P I've got the audio functioning basely. I've yet to patch the WDM audio, and have had to resort to lowering sound acceleration so NFSHP2 and Morrowind sound decent. Tonight I'll apply the fix and report on it.
    Last edited by Beeblequix; 07-29-2003 at 12:39 AM.
    George Orwell

lostnfound - did you ever sort out your video issues
    i get the same thing here with an a7n266-vm using onboard vid running xp sp1, 256 ram - two 1 pixel lines across the xp startup screen

but there again i also get bursts of bsod after bsod which seem to be linked to enabling the mcp mac controller and connecting up to a lan, with a speed touch usb adsl modem also connected.

disabling the mac seems to lead to a more stable system
    although to be honest it seems to go ****-up if i do anything other than web browse - think i should probably do a full reinstall

btw - i ran a pretty comprehensive memory tester (one that runs off a floppy boot and takes all day) - any idea if this is a good enough indication that i don't have a dodgy memory chip - which would certainly explain the almost random and comprehensice nature of the crashes i get - been through almost all stop codes known to man
    oh and yes i've updated all drivers

Are we talking aperature grill monitors here? Anyway, doesn't the system use default video until after Window is up and running? Does it really matter what it looks like using default video? It's going to generally look crappy in any case, although I don't know what the specific problem is.

Originally posted by Rugor
    The other problem was that the system clock kept speeding up, and sometimes applications, especially web-based ones, would start speeding up. However, this may have been because I put a 2400+ on it and Win98's networking stack isn't that happy with 2GHz processors and faster. [/B]
    Glad to know I'm not the only one whose clock intermittently runs at 3x speed. Though it's doing it on my 1800+, so I don't know if that's the case, unless I configured the jumpers wrong & just haven't burned out my proc yet.

Help needed

I just got an A7N266-VM/AA, and a 2000+ ... mounted proc/heatsink .. stuck in ram stuck on a HD ... booted it up and the fan on the proc ran but nothing else (no beeps) ... Looked in the 'excellent' user's manual and set the jumpers to what I think are default ... now the fan on the mobo doesn't come on, I tried to set the jumpers back to how there were, still nothing ... I don't know if the jumpers were wrong and I melted my chip or if I still have the jumpers wrong ... the memory in it is from Crucial CT3264Z335 ... The jumpers I changed were the CPU/DRAM ones and the "USBPWR45" pair which is at the bottom of the motherboard, sort of between two white jumper rows and above a capacitor ... I changed these b/c they were set like:
    OXX
    XXO
    which wasn't the default
    The reason I'm saying where the jumpers are is because the CLRTC jumper is not where it's indicated in my manual .. or anywhere else near the battery ... is this Manual the wrong one or was it supposed to be appended? it's A7N266-VM (without an AA) ... I have another chip I can use for testing (also a 2000+) But I'd rather not burn it out (if that's what happened to the first one) .. so please if you know the correct setup let me know .. and the first few posts deal w/ how they are 1 2 3 and not 3 2 1 for jumpers .. please specify in your post if you can ... Thank you a ton

Jon

book

the book that came with the mb that I setup had an extra loose page that showed the correct pin /jumper settings.. I don't have it anymore since I built it for someone else but does your manual have the extra sheet?