Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Asus A7N266-VM

I was JUST going to order that board this morning. I stopped by here to check a thread and low and behold. My board has people talkin bout it already and I aint even bout it. Im getting it for $69 buck at Newegg.com. I am goin to use the AMD Athlon XP 1800+ Thoroughbred /266 FSB Processor CPU 1800+/ 1.53GHz -0.13 micro OEM, AXDA1800DLT3C The Ultimate Digital Media Experience in an x86 Platform.Tailored for Microsoft® Windows® XP. Featuring QuantiSpeed Architecture for Rapid Execution of Applications. Tomorrow’s Technology Today.The Power of a Reliable Partner.
    Specifications:
    CPU: 1.53 GHz
    Type: 1800 XP Thoroughbred
    Cache: 256K
    BUS: 266MHz
    Socket A (PGA)
    OEM - CPU Only

Should I NOT by this board now? What are ur suggestions? My other choice was the Asus VIA A7V333-X/L KT333 chipset ATX w/Lan. Supports up to 3 gig of DDR (pc1600,pc2100, and pc 2700. Would this be a better choice? Thanks for the tips I appreciate this site alot now that Im really tryin to make some right decisions on my next new system.

Would this board NOT be a good buy? I was gonna order on this morning when i came across this post... ??? Now I aint sure what to do.. how bout the Asus VIA A7V333-X/L KT-333 chipset board? would it be a better buy for $15 bucks more? Now Im uptight again over tryin to find a decent board that runs DDR, ATA/133 with a 266 FSB and stablel.. Epox RDA? Help

We have one. It runs very well, very stably. There's only two caveats I'm aware of.

It only really likes WinXP, the drivers aren't as good for any other OS, and it cannot use a PCI based video card. But since it has both decent onboard Vid and an AGP slot that's not a problem.

Based on my experiences, I'd order another.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

It only really likes WinXP
    Rugor did you load wk2 on it and have many issues? I was thinking about getting this board for my girl for internet use- mp3 ect…with xp as her os and have one partion with w2k server for me to practice, study and learn on my home network. I was going to get a ecs k7s5a but hear so many issue with that board here at sysopt . The price is great with onboard everything. Please if you can tell me any issue I may encounter with w2k on the Asus A7N266-VM. Thanks in advance…

I didn't do much with Win2K, but it really hated Win98.

I just went straight to XP from there with it and it's much happier. It will probably be fine with 2K though, since XP's very much a derivative.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

hi all,
    i a rookie, planning to buy a PC wif this board, recommended by the salesman, Asus A7N266VM
    i was told that this board come wif graphic card, so i dun need to get one, i surf thru the Asus website n found that it intergrated wif NVIDIA GeForce 2 card, i m wundering whether i can play C&C Generals which req. 32mb of graphic card memory wif this intergrated graphic card? do i need to add in another 3d accelerator card (hopefully not)
    thanks for replying

If you dedicate 32mb of RAM to video you "should" be able to play that game, though a new game usually wants a more recent graphics core than that.

hi rugor
    how do i dedicate 32mb of ram to video? fyi, the PC i m gonna buy comes wif 256mb of kingston ram (another kinda memory required on the mobo), does that mean i hv more than enuf?
    thanks 4 ur reply

You go into the BIOS and set up how much RAM you want to dedicate to video. I can't remember exactly where it is, but it's there.

Sorry but our A7N266-VM system is up right now and someone would get irritated if I shut it down to check the BIOS.

As to RAM, just get good quality DDR and you'll be fine.

win98

what did win98 and this board do? I was going to build a system with this board and win98... what kind of trouble am I looking at.

Part of it is that nvidia's drivers are optimised for WinXP, the Win98 ones aren't as good for the nforce chipset.

The other problem was that the system clock kept speeding up, and sometimes applications, especially web-based ones, would start speeding up. It always seemed to be timing issues, mIRC would start flashing repeatedly or the mouse would start flying around the screen. Java and Flash based games went too fast for anyone to interact with them.

However, this may have been because I put a 2400+ on it and Win98's networking stack isn't that happy with 2GHz processors and faster.

any tips then

Hopefully all will go well with fresh install of 98

Gone
    Originally posted by Rugor
    Part of it is that nvidia's drivers are optimised for WinXP, the Win98 ones aren't as good for the nforce chipset.

The other problem was that the system clock kept speeding up, and sometimes applications, especially web-based ones, would start speeding up. It always seemed to be timing issues, mIRC would start flashing repeatedly or the mouse would start flying around the screen. Java and Flash based games went too fast for anyone to interact with them.

However, this may have been because I put a 2400+ on it and Win98's networking stack isn't that happy with 2GHz processors and faster.
    Hey rugor I think I can conferm those suspicions. Its true. On a P4 2.4gig I built a buddy windows 98 wont even install. You get a stack file error upon "windows is starting for the first time" message. I looked up at M$ and they said win 98 doesnt run on anything higher than 2gig as it cant sync the networking proto with it. HOWEVER there is a fix. but they wont tell ya without sending them $. BUT Windows 98SE and higher is not effected.

I dunno about Win98SE not being affected, since that's what I was using. I get lazy and generally mean Win98SE when I say Win98.

I do know it was a pain, and I have heard about it elsewhere.

But thanks for the confirmation from MS.

I'm just bought and installed an A7N266-VM with an Athon XP 1800+ on Win 98, but am having problems with setting up the Audio driver on the system. I manually installed some of the other drivers on the system which didn't install automatically, but can't seem to get the supplied audio driver to work with it. No sound, not even a sound icon in the bottom right-hand corner.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a fix?

Cheers
    Dan