Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Asus A7N266-VM

Asus A7N266-VM

Anyone contemplating buying this board, must take note,, The Jumper settings for the CPU/DIMM on page 19 of the manual are wrong,,Defaults for 133/133 should be 1 and 2,,,not 2 and 3 as shown in the diagram,,, Asus will not replace burnt CPU's either, just because they wrote the book wrong,,Hoping this might help one other poor soul,, besides me,,

Re: Asus A7N266-VM

Originally posted by Slitelyused
    Anyone contemplating buying this board, must take note,, The Jumper settings for the CPU/DIMM on page 19 of the manual are wrong,,Defaults for 133/133 should be 1 and 2,,,not 2 and 3 as shown in the diagram,,, Asus will not replace burnt CPU's either, just because they wrote the book wrong,,Hoping this might help one other poor soul,, besides me,,
    Thank you, sir! You just confirmed my suspicions.

For some reason, in the manual, only for the settings for the CPU/DIMM, it states that the jumper prongs are 3,2,1 in order (left to right). With all of the other jumper settings, the jumpers go 1, 2, 3 in order (left to right). So, in the manual, it does say the default jumper setting should be 1, 2, but with the numbers backwards, you end up putting the jumpers on 2, 3.

So, for anyone using this mobo, just know that all of the jumpers are 1, 2, 3 (from right to left).
    Last edited by LABachlr; 10-07-2002 at 12:28 PM.

In my A7N266-C manual they don't even have the correct path for the drivers on the disc, much less functioning instructions....

ß.Qµix
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

thanx for the info...i thought the board had some problem with the FSB thing since mine shows 100 not 133.

BTW, has anybody out here installed a 2000+ on this mobo since the internal clock is showing at 1250 in the BIOS.

it was 1200 b'fore i updated the BIOS with the beta provided at the Asus's Website

Thanx again

I think it should be above 1600 i suppose...isn't it supposed to show little more than 1600?

I'm using a 2200+, but I'm not sure if my response matters. My mobo is the A7N266-C with the 415D non-video but otherwise nicely featured chipset. The A7N266-VM seems to lack a few things.

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7n266-vm/overview.htm
    http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7n266-c/overview.htm

Looks like yours is microATX. 220D chipset.

Here's your driver download page. You can use a 2400+ in that board provided your BIOS is revision 1004 or later.
    http://download.asus.com.tw/mb_dl_me...10&l3=16&mid=4

ß.Qµix
    Last edited by Beeblequix; 11-29-2002 at 06:47 PM.
    George Orwell

Beeble, Can you tell me what values does the bios(under Advanced Menu) report for "Current CPU Speed" on your system.?

Correct me if i am wrong here, it should be showing the actual freq that the xp is runnin at not the PR thing, right?

Yes. It's a function of Front Side Bus times multiplier, and it shows itself right in there

edit: okay, called home and had the wifey look at it for me.

Under the Advanced tab:

current cpu speed............1800Mhz
    cpu speed..........................manual
    cpu frequency multiple....13.5
    cpu/pci frequency.............133

I've noticed that by setting the cpu speed to 'manual' that because of the natural Asus slight overclock that you'll get just a *tad* higher cpu speed doing it this way. Mine actually gives me 1804Mhz. This has been a standard thing with all my Asus mobos.
    Last edited by Beeblequix; 11-29-2002 at 06:45 PM.
    George Orwell

thanx a bunch(for the info)...buddy. Its time for tweakin the bios

My roomie has this board, running a 2400+ (recognized by bios as a 1933MHz CPU).

The good news is that they put in a correction page for the manual regarding the jumper settings.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Ok for everybody's info...i found an update to the wrong BIOS settings for A7N266-vm...i suppose this was posted much earlier but asus hasn't got any links for it at their downloads/website.

http://ftp.cizgi.com.tr/ASUS/mb/sock..._a7n266-vm.zip

its a zip file containing a pdf showing the correct JUMPER settings.
    Last edited by Swordfish; 01-17-2003 at 02:34 PM.

Asus A7N266-VM

This board is one of those that never should have been released to the public. It has more problems than could be mentioned here in one day, The biggest problem is that obtaining an RMA only entitles you to a replacement of the same piece of junk. What I need is a refund so that I can buy a decent board. Asus Tech support is non-existent,, They have had so many complaints on this board they no longer reply to questions. This is my last,, very last, absolutely very last Asus product. I saved about $15 bucks when I bought this board,, and lost 2 CPU's in the process, because they cant write a **** manual correctly. I cant blame Newegg,, they just sell them, they dont build them, and Newegg's service was outstanding. I just wish they're RMA polcies allowed you to switch to a different board,, but I can also understand why it doesnt. Now that I got that off my chest, I feel better !! Time to go Mobo shopping,,, again !!

Asus A7N266-VM

By the way,,one thing I forgot to mention,, dont expect to run multiple monitors with this board either. Refer to a little line on page 89 of the manual, under Troubleshooting. " This motherboard does not support PCI VGA cards due to an nVidia chipset limitation". I have been trying all day to get my second monitor set up with Windows 98SE. I finally looked thru the Asus manual and discovered I cant do it. So much for Asus boards and nVidia chipsets.

Hardware revision 1.05, new jumpers

Hardware revision 1.05 of the ASUS A7N266-VM motherboard includes some extra pins, including something labeled CHASSIS that sits between the SMBus connector and the PANEL pins. CHASSIS is a 4 pin set. If you don't put a jumper over the two pins at the edge of the board, then the BIOS interrupts the boot sequence and throws up a message stating something like "Case is open or cover has been removed."

There's nothing in the BIOS to control this ... Can't tell you what version of the BIOS I'm running, though, they might have updated it since they made my board.

The new pins and the BIOS behavior are not documented in the manual that comes with the board, or the manual on the ASUS web site, E1014A.

Additional stuff:

CHA_FAN pins, for powering and monitoring a chassis fan. Pinout is the same as the CPU_FAN pins. This is a good thing.

There's something different about the front panel audio connector pins (AAPANEL1). My motherboard had jumpers across some of those pins, which I removed, because the manual says nothing about putting jumpers there. Interestingly enough, the audio coming out of the back panel didn't work after I did that ...

To enable the rear audio output ...
    On AAPANEL1, ASUS Front Panel Audio Connector,
    jumper LineOut_FR to LineOutRR
    and LineOut_FL to LineOut_RL

Again, I'm running ASUS A7N266-VM hardware revision 1.05.

Spiny

I'm spooked after reading this thread. I just got a A7N266-VM to replace a Biostar M7VIG Pro that arrived DOA. It came correctly configure for the XP1700+. It also came with the insert correcting the manual. So far it's worked flawlessly but since this is the first AMD system I've built in 10 years and the fact that I got off to a bad start with the Biostar board, maybe I should have stuck with Intel.

You do know this board is AMD Assured don't you.

It works, it runs fine. My roomie's system with a 2400+ on this board has had no problems because of it. The only issues the system ever had came when she tried to run it on the 250W Deer PSU that came in her case while waiting for the 400W to arrive.

As to the no PCI video cards, that's a function of the HyperTransport Link between the Northbridge and Southbridge. Video needs access to the Northbridge, that's what the CPU and memory talk to. Nvidia's PCI bus is coupled only to the Southbridge, and they didn't include the capacity to piggyback PCI data across the HT link for video.

You can expect fewer and fewer boards to support PCI video as new chipsets are introduced.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].