Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I installed new HD...how do i put a OS on it?

I installed new HD...how do i put a OS on it?

I want to put my OS on the new HD then reformat my old drive and get rid of all errors and then install OS back. I am guessing this is the best thing to do. The old HD is 30 Gb and new one is 10 GB........Am I approaching this right?

why u install an OS on a 10GB not your 30GB? can u give us more specific like the speed of your HD like rpm5400 or 7200..

I'm

YOu mean you want to format your old HD(30GB) and install an Os on your new hd(10GB)
    Leo

install both drives and then start the computer with a boot disk. Then reformat the old drive and then fdisk and format the new drive. Then boot the system up with the OS cd in the tray and install it.

so you want to put in the 10gb, install the os, transfer files from the 30 to the 10, then blow out the 30 and copy the 10gb back to the 30gb. is that right?

what os are you using? installation will vary depending on the os.

Re: I installed new HD...how do i put a OS on it?

Originally posted by justrelaxing
    I want to put my OS on the new HD then reformat my old drive and get rid of all errors and then install OS back. I am guessing this is the best thing to do. The old HD is 30 Gb and new one is 10 GB........Am I approaching this right?
    There's no need to install the OS on 2 HDD then format HDD 1, then Install OS in HDD 1 to then format HDD 2

you can skip all that by just

Starting up your PC with the Windows CD ROM, and start the Install from there
    since that will clean up and format everything for you

My original HD which is the 30 GB has several errors and lots of stuff I dont want on my HD so I installed a 10 GB HD and would like to put my OS on there so I dont completley lose operation of the PC in case I screw something up. I think both drives are 5400. I enjoy playing games and downloading movies and music. So is it better to keep the OS on the smaller HD?

OS is 98se

Is there a big differeance with format and fdisk

you should put your os on the larger drive, since the platters probably are of higher density than the 10GB drive.

I'm guessing that you only have 1 partition on the 30 and you don't want to reformat it.
    you want to make sure that you don't accidentally format your 30gb drive. I would disconnect it entirely, then load your OS onto the 10. reattach the 30 and transfer whatever you need to the 10. reformat the 30, then copy the entire 10gb drive back to the 30 using drive image or maxblast.

fdisk creates the partition
    format prepares the partition for data

so best is disconnect my 30...so i dont screw it up........

then do I just boot the PC and have the 98se cd in and go through the install

then attach the 30 gb and reformat everything and then just copy the 10gb to the 30gb and then I am in business?

for win98, i usually copy the win98 folder from the cd to the hdd. you can copy just the .cab files, but i just dump the whole win98 folder.

boot from a win98 floppy. then follow these commands

c:
    md win98
    d: (or whatever your cdrom drive letter is)
    cd win98
    dir (just to make sure the cdrom is detected properly)
    copy *.* c:\win98

go to c:\win98 and run setup. This is a good way to do it, since you'll never have to put the win98 cd in everytime you change settings.

are you trying to save data from the 30gb or not? if not, then heck with it and format the **** thing. hehe I was under the impression that you wanted to save data on the 30gb drive before you blew it out.

I can just reinstall all the stuff I want.........Or is it tough to keep some of the stuff?

that's a personal call. You're gonna have to reload all your programs anyway. If you don't need to save any documents, etc. then just format the sucker.