Thread: XP hangs at welcome screen with no chance to logon

XP hangs at welcome screen with no chance to logon

i just GHOSTed a drive...seems to work fine, except that when i start xp the normal black screen shows up then the blue logon screen (have quick logon where u just click ur username to log in) BUT the user names never even come up and right under the little windows XP logo where u normally see "Windows is starting up" or whatever it is u see nothing...

.then after like 3 minutes the hard drive starts reading again and the floppy is accessed but then it just hangs again, ctrl alt del doesnt work, have to manually hold down the power button for a bit to manually shut off the computer.

i am able to hit ctrl tab to switch programs and it switches from some logon thing to another logon thing in the quick switch box, and if i do that i dont have to wait the three minutes for more hard drive action, BUT it freezes just the same as before anyway.

tried going in safe mode and doing a system restore...

thanks,
    frank

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Which drive or partition are you trying to boot from? If you did this to a second drive might have to change jumper from slave to master.

they were both master on each IDE channel. then moved the 2nd drive to IDE channel 0 and took the old hard drive out.

but if it were something like that, wouldnt it not boot at all? not get to windows and then hang?

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    You could try booting with the xp cd and select repair and the fixboot command see if that helps, use the help and support section to get more details on fixboot.

MS MCP, MCSE

Perhaps the LSASS.exe is Corrupt this app controls the Protected storage in the registry for login authentication Perhaps try and Repair this app

Changing the drive letter causes lots of problems, beginning at logon screen.

well ...for right now it doesnt matter cuz the power supply went :-( but thanks guys