Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm a Computer Addict

I'm a Computer Addict

<http://www.computeraddiction.com/>

Firstly, I'm an idiot. I suffered the most tradjic I-D-ten-T error of all today. G*d*a*n*t. While attempting to remove the DVI-VGA adapter on my tower, it fell, destroying my new Geforce 4 ti 4200 and my motherboard. S*1*3.

Now, I know I've had addictions before, this one the most pervasive. Hey, I gave up smoking and drinking years ago, but focused my addictive nature to computers afterward.

Oh, the bright side is that now I'm upgrading my motherboard and CPU from a 1700+ and A7V266-E to a 2200+ thoroughbred and an A7N266-C. Getting the same G4ti4200. $500. D@m*17. My wife was right in that at least we have the money. I'd be S0L otherwise.

But, being devastated by my loss, I decided to pursue help to rid self of addiction. The link above mentions many similarities in my own life, and I'd best put off my virtual euphoria in place of something healthier. Anyone else addicted? Seriously. I know I'm addicted for the sense of L337nEss it gives me, the thrill, and the fact that nobody I know knows as much about them as I. It's truly a drug.

ßeeßle Qµix
    Last edited by Beeblequix; 09-20-2002 at 04:57 PM.
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

hmm... real addiction and computer maniacs are 2 different things

i belong to the 2nd kind

i eat drink see, computer, at breakfast, lunch, dinnner, sleep, i do computer, hobby, work, game, etc, is on computer

i don't use the phone, i use the computer
    my tv is in the computer
    my Digital VCR is the computer
    my DVD is the computer
    my sound system is the computer

so if you follow that website ideas, then i should be dead by now LOL

BTW i've not problem going camping or mount crimbing, snowboarding, or well you know all that stuff that has no need for Technology

but i do feel bored fast without a computer, just not enough action

I love computers.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

I am a computer

B'quix,

I am not quite that bad, but I can see where it could interfere with life. I enjoy building the darn things, the mechanics of it, now I have a bunch sitting around. But the wife supports it because I'm always around for her too. No pubs for me!

I think if you want to try a self help program, print out the picture on that link, and tape it on your monitor. That would put anybody off of computers.

Tarp

We are Borg
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

I liked your comments, folks.

Oh, decided to go with the G4ti4600. Figured while I'm spending based on an emotional breakdown I might as well go for more gusto.

Hard drive also needed replacing. Fetch. I didn't save my self made maps & mods. Back to square 1.

Yeah TARP2, that pic made me shrivel up like a scared turtle...

Perhaps I'm going about this all wrong. Maybe I just need an intraveinous valium drip while not on my pc.....

ß.Qµix
    George Orwell

Great thanks for the article jeeeeeeez I knew I was addicted but cripes now I KNOW I am Addicted!!!!

What to do now????

Surf..
    We are Borg lol

Originally posted by ND
    We are Borg
    You might be, bug i rather be an Automaton Cyborg, and not a Borg part of the collective

Seven of Nine, oooooooooooooooooeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr.............

Am I an addict if I have four machines, networked, and come here all the time?

Oh, ,that picture, could scare the white off rice, yeeeeesh

mmmmmm Seven of Nine...she's so hot! gotta love those ocular implants!!

-B

Psychological Symptoms
    Having a sense of well-being or euphoria while at the computer
    Inability to stop the activity
    Craving more and more time at the computer
    Neglect of family and friends
    Feeling empty, depressed, irritable when not at the computer
    Lying to employers and family about activities
    Problems with school or job

Physical Symptoms
    Carpal tunnel syndrome
    Dry eyes
    Migraine headaches
    Back aches
    Eating irregularities, such as skipping meals
    Failure to attend to personal hygiene
    Sleep disturbances, change in sleep pattern

hmmmm.... all of the above. Does this mean I'm an addict or just stupid for working with computers?

I don't think we're stupid.

Here's how I always looked at it: I love computers, and work in IT, so by definition I do what I love.

Hey, I just figured out how to counter these 'symptoms'

1) swear at your computer. call it names and tell it how big o' a piece 'o c**p it is. by definition, your focused anger should counter the sense of well-being, and you'll be set free.

2) Inability to stop the activity. C'mon, you get up for bathroom-breaks/caffeine breaks, right? By definition, we're stopping the activity, and thus have broken through our chains.

3) Craving more and more time at the computer. Same can be said about food, television, excercise, air, attention. They attack one little thing like computers we'll attack them in their own lives. I'll give up computer time when you give up liquids. What? You say liquids are necessary, but comps aren't? We are Borg. You must be assimilated. Resistance is futile...

4) Neglect of family and friends. ? I've heard of these....

5) Feeling empty, depressed, irritable when not at the computer. I don't know why that wrinkly old bag put this in there. Kryminy, I'M LIKE THAT EVEN WHEN I'M ON THE COMPUTER! Once again her theory holds nonsense. And I'm free...

6) Lying to employers and family about activities. Lying? Heck no. I just don't tell 'em anything. That's not the same thing. And if they asked me, sure I'd tell 'em to look at my posts on Sysopt...

7) Problems with school or job. C'mon. Problems associated to school or job existed LONG before the age of computers. If you don't believe me just go ask any number of depression-era chaps. They were lucky to pass the third grade. ~30% of the country was unemployed. Now THAT sounds like problems.

8) Carpal tunnel syndrome, Dry eyes, Migraine headaches, Back aches, Eating irregularities, such as skipping meals, Failure to attend to personal hygiene, Sleep disturbances, change in sleep pattern--okay, some of these are valid. But quite frankly, anyone who doesn't attend to their hygene has larger underlying problems (ie pschitzophrenia).

:\
    ßeeßle Qµix
    Last edited by Vernon Frazee; 09-27-2002 at 05:55 AM.
    George Orwell

Yeah, I'm with Beeblequix, tell em nothing, they can't make you talk. Personal hygene, I bath once a month whether I need one or not, irritable, not at all, in fact, no one comes near me to find out, if they know whats good for them.