Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tom's Hardware Bribe: "Barton vs. P4 3.3ghz" FUNNY!!

I like to think I have a good sense of humour, I'm the first one to crack jokes most of the time and I was always the clown at school. I have a tech background, and I've been a semi-regular visitor to THG, but I have to say, if this was supposed to be a joke, I really don't get it at all.

Where's the humour in making a spoof webpage that tries to look like someone elses in order to take the **** out of it? Maybe if the guy had done it to MS it would be funny, but then again MS would have stamped on him for it.

It was made obvious (at least to those with a keen eye) that it was a fake, but how does that make it funny? Siimply by the response given here it's plain that 90% of people didn't get it at all so what's the point of it?

The guy obviously went to some pains to make it all look legit, including making all the links go straight back to THG so why do that if it was a spoof? he was trying to get people to believe that it was real, with only some minor changes in an attempt to cover his own ***.

It's just stupid, and I really don't know why he bothered, unless it was to get some attnetion, which he has done, and by doing that I'll bet someone at THG has seen it and he'll be getting some nasty emails from them telling him what's what.

***viBe***
    The Sysopt.com Users 2002 SETI@home team website is now ONLINE!!! WooHoo. It can be found at www.setiteam.com. If you would like to contribute to the site or the team have a look HERE
    FREE POP3 & Web based e-mail for all active members yourname@setiteam.com 5MB attachments!!! Come get some
    ***viBe***
    "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Actually, he does explain why he did:

http://home.planetinternet.be/~bbaeyen2/thb/update.html

/BBB

Originally posted by vibe666

It was made obvious (at least to those with a keen eye) that it was a fake, but how does that make it funny? Siimply by the response given here it's plain that 90% of people didn't get it at all so what's the point of it?

[/B]
    What in the world do you need a keen eye for? It was obvious because of the lame tests he used. I think that everybody here read it way to fast and took it too seriously. Instead of mulling over the first two pictures, everyone should have been reading the article. If you had stopeed to think for even two seconds you would have noticed that something was wrong when two of his benchmarks were the playing time of a DVD and compression size. A two hour DVD is a freakin' two hour DVD on any system. The same goes for compression. It was an obvious spoof. If you didn't get it, just move on.

Originally posted by vibe666

And ANOTHER thing I noticed is that the 2 CPU pics are identical excapt for the fact ....
    how dumb can people really be?
    I hope you don't mind I added this to my spoof, along with a few other comments I got from people that didn't get it ?

Thomas Napster...

Originally posted by thomas napster

I hope you don't mind I added this to my spoof, along with a few other comments I got from people that didn't get it ?

Thomas Napster...
    LoL is this a FAKE Thomas Napster..
    Leo

Nope.. the "real" one ;-)

Originally posted by Aznmask

LoL is this a FAKE Thomas Napster..
    Nope. well, depends what you mean. Thomas Napster is already quite fake, but I am the one that made the spoof, which is what I suppose you meant. Go over to the site and check out my newly added "comments" page...

Welcom to SysOpt

real or not

ROFL!!! look at the 3 last page on that site, the one with his picture... lol

Look even closer

Look even closer to that picture.. there's an easter egg in there, Im amazed no one seems to have noticed so far

haha i see some humor in that though i think it would have been funny if the "bartons" core was bright green
    http://scared.at/b_shill

Re: Look even closer

Originally posted by thomas napster
    Look even closer to that picture.. there's an easter egg in there, Im amazed no one seems to have noticed so far
    Hmmm....

Could it be the copy of Playgirl magazine under Tom's arm?

That was very funny. I think y'all should lighten up about it. THG does have a tendancy to post overclocked scores that exceed what a particular core will ever "officially" be able to do. Besides, the original pic of Tom looked like he was a few days past his last margarita. Dude does not look normal with blonde dye job! Tom, let the roots grow back!

To Thomas Napster,
    Don't feel bad dude. I've posted some responses here that were pure satire, but everyone thought I was serious. Even when I told them it was satire I still got kind of a, duh..what, response. Maybe they don't teach literature in most colleges anymore. I roared a couple of times when I read your spoof. Keep up the good work..at least some of us get it.
    And welcome to Sysopt. wallie_x

Obviously, I liked the satire. Have a raspberry filled danish *hands T.Napster a pastry*.

chau,

ßeeßle Qµix
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

Ultimate Member
    I personally like the part where he's benchmarking DVD playback to see which CPU finishes Lord of the Rings sooner... Funny stuff, obviously ment to be a joke.

-Ramon

OK you got me.

i didn't really pay attention and now i look like a fool.

i suppose thats what happens when you skim stuff instead of reading thoroughly.

i stand corrected.
    ***viBe***
    "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein