Thread: Need Help, must read to understand.

Need Help, must read to understand.

Put my new P5A mb with my new k6-ii in a day ago. Had to get the new BIOS flash to get it to even see my 80GB Maxtor. Well, now it sees it, but when I boot up I get through the POST and to my OS selection (win2k & win98se). 98se boots fine. Win2K says a file is missing (ntkrnl.* or something like that from the windows 2000 root)\system32\

So I try and run the recovery console, have no idea what to do in there so I exit. Anyway, I try and reinstall 2k, well Win2K install comes up and lets me choose where to install, but it says all my drives are unallocated, unformatted,or bad. Y?? They are all formatted and allocated cept something like 20 GB that is just sitting around.

Ok here is the setup:
    80GB Maxtor (Master)
    C: Wind 98 (Fat32)
    E: Storage (NTFS)
    F: Extra (NTFS)
    I: Win2K (NTFS)
    20GB Quantum (Slave)
    D: Music (Fat32)

When 98 boots, of course I can only see c: and d: cause they are Fat. But if it boots to 98 that means that the drive is formatted and good. Why does Win2k show it as being unformatted or bad?? I cannot reformat, I have information I must have. If no one has any suggestions I am gonna just install the old MB see if it can get me back up, get my info, then reformat, but would rather not have to tear it all apart.

Please someone help, I have never seen this before.
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at some other poor sucker.

Boot from the Win2K CD and choose Repair:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...covery_erd.htm

That should fix it. You'll have to reapply the Service Pack and update IE again.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Mrmagoo_83
    This is a problem made for Bipolar Bill - he helped me out of an incorrect Win 2k dual boot. Anyway, I have it working fine. Some questions: Do you need to retain the data that is on Win 2k? When you first start your machine, do you have the option to go to Win 98 or Win 2k and then Win 2k simply fails to start?
    Was Win 2k setup before you changed m/b? If so, it might have been smarter to move all the "stuff" that you needed to protect onto a partition without an o/s before you changed m/bs. If you do need to retain the data in the Win 2k partition and it was setup before you changed m/bs, then I can't help you other than to suggest reinstalling the previous m/b, move the data, and then kill the partition with win 2k (but you'll also have to fix the boot process even for Win 98). If you don't need the data in the win2k partition, and if you get the option to boot to win 2k or Win 98 or Win2k upon startup, then the process you'll most likely want to follow is to eliminate the Win 2k partition by using zap or fdisk or any utility that wipes out a partition. CAUTION: this will also wreck your bootup for Win98. To fix it read the following thread:
    http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=106658

Hope this helps. It worked for me. Biglaker

Mr magoo_83
    Glad to see Bipolar Bill was available to help you while I was typing my response. I'm sure he can help best.
    Biglaker

Re: Need Help, must read to understand.

Originally posted by mrmagoo_83

When 98 boots, of course I can only see c: and d: cause they are Fat. But if it boots to 98 that means that the drive is formatted and good. Why does Win2k show it as being unformatted or bad??
    hey do you know if you have it set as Normal, LBA or Extended?

i'm refering to the 80 Gig maxtor

Well shoot wish I could have read this while I was at work.

I came home early to fight it. Remembered I had most of MY Documents on a CD, yea they are a few months old but it beat losing everything.

I tried all I could do, but something had happended to the Boot Record I guess. Not even MAxBlast could determine what was what. SO I just reformatted, so sad, lost so many things I had. Guess I will spend another 10 hours rescanning photos.

Thanks for all you help.
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at some other poor sucker.