Thread: Quick HD and BIOS question

Quick HD and BIOS question

Just got an ASUS P5A mb, I got all of the jumpers set to the right freqs and voltages. When I boot up and try to AutoDetet my 80GB Maxtor the system just does nothing, it doesn't lock up, it just kinda sits there. I cant hit F4 to skip, but I can hit Del and enter the BIOS. It will recognize my 20GB Quantum just fine.

I am thinking BIOS update, is that what you are thinking??
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at some other poor sucker.

Set to Auto

My system does a similar thing. I have a SD-11 motherboard with a Maxtor 30GB and a Seagate 80GB hd connected. The 80GB has to be set to auto detect on startup or it will lockup in the BIOS. I also had to use the EZ-BIOS software from Maxtor to use the 80GB in Windows.

I had it running fine on my other Soyo motherboard, but something on that MB went bad. Anyway, it is set to AutoDetect in the BIOS, I even have trie drunning IDE Auto Detection from the BIOS, it just sits there. I have tried running the MaxBlast EZ-Bios, still a no go.

The last non-beta bios update for the P5A supports drives up to 32 gb. You'll need to flash a beta bios:
    ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/asus/beta/mb/bios/p5a10112.zip

This was mentioned in another thread:
    http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=114855

Be sure to read Allgamer's post in that thread:
    http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...676#post699676

Well ****, I did a search on here for P5A and the dang computer just kept giving me Page Cannot Be Displayed. Anyway thanks, I just downloaded the latest bets BIOS, which was realsed in May. I hope that helps. I am getting a Maxtor ATA133, I should order it like Thursday or Friday, so it will be here next week. But I still need my computer till it gets here.

On a side note I see you said you have this board, correct? What proccessor and how much RAM are you running?

I am trying to run a K6-II 500, I have the Jumpers set to 100x5, thinking about going 110x5. But first I want to get it to run @ 500MHz. The dang BIOS still says K6II/300MHz, hopefully the update will fix that too.

I am also using 512mb ram.

I had to mod my CPU fan to fit around that dang power connector but it works.

On that board, I'm using a K6-2 500 with 256 mb of ram. If you did not have the latest non-beta bios, it's not surprising that it came up as 300 mhz.

This is the blurb for the last non-beta bios:

al5i107a.zip P5A M/B (ALi 1541/1543C), BIOS ver. 1007.A 07/16/1999
    1. Fix for AMD K6-2 500MHz processor speed detection error.
    2. Add Y2K patch.
    3. IRQ 12 relesed if PS/2 Mouse not installed.
    4. Fix for Cyrix MII-366 detection error.

Can I ask were you found that info? I searched their site and came up empty, do you have any info on the Latest Beta release?

I got that info from the ftp site. Direct link:
    ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/asus/mb/sock7/ali/p5a/index.txt

This index file has info on the betas. It doesn't list what hard drive size the latest beta can support, but it shows an older one having support for more than 32gb. Search p5a to find it.
    ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/asus/beta/mb/bios/index.txt

Hmm... I was searching google groups for hard drive support, and it seems you can get 80gb using 1011 beta 4. The link I gave is 1011 beta 2. You'll have to get it from the german ftp site. I looked and they have 1011 beta 5.

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIO...A/1011__05.zip

You are a Saint. Thanks a lot.

So you think with the latest BIOS update I will have any problems running the 500MHz, Win2K, 512MB ram, PCI sound card, ATA133 Controller card, and a G2MX400??

I am hoping to at least be able to play some games, and listen to my MP3s in Winamp with the full visual effects.

Also the one I downloaded from the Asus website, finally found something, reads Bios 1011.005 P5A Beta BIOS 1011.005 5/13/02

So that should be the same one correct?
    Last edited by mrmagoo_83; 09-11-2002 at 08:35 PM.

There where a bunch of other downloads for that board, not sure about all of them; IDE busmastering, a bunch of audi (I assume for onboard audio, that the P5A-VM has), and then some AGP ones, and some 3mode floppy or something, think I need any of these??

Well, those on drivers on the Asus web site are older. You can get the newer drivers from the Acer Labs site.

http://www.aliusa.com/eng/support/dr...agp_driver.htm

Direct link to the integrated drivers:
    ftp://ftp.aliusa.com/driver/Integrated1.07.exe

You don't need the 3mode floppy stuff. What I have linked should be all you need.

My new problem

Well I got the 1011.005 Beta BIOS, it recognizes the HD, but still says AMDK6-II/300MHz. But it at least boots, this other issue is what is killing me.