Thread: fat 32 or ntfs

fat 32 or ntfs

What is the difference, advantages, disadvatages, I am using fat 32 running xp, cause that's all I ever used so when I installed I stayed with it... ???????

Hi,

NTFS uses the space on large hard drives more efficiently than fat32. Other than that, it has more security options for you to tinker with, though they wouldn't be too important if you've been happy with fat32.

Formatting to NTFS would also mean that your stuff stored using the NTFS would not be visible from a win9x/dos partition on your computer.

NTFS offers more Security, and it tends to keep data a bit better. and slightly faster than FAT32

ONLY WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE A HDD FAILUE

FAT32 is simply good and simple, it's compatible with Everything out there.

oh the Biggies Plus about FAT32, is the FASSSSSSTTTT Defrag time NTFS takes just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long

and if something fails or gets lost

you can always use Norton Disk Doctor to repair, or Norton Unerase to recover, or Norton Speed Disk, and etc.

all these from personal experience

thanks,,, all gamer and cpl sq. do you guys use the ntfs format. ??
    asus p3c-2000
    P-II 400-100fsb
    320 mb pc133 sdram
    windows xp
    4x agp ecs-ag315T
    (building new system, someday, soon I hope)

I only use NTFS in my Win2k partition, the rest i left them on FAT32

i only gave 2 gig size for the Win2k, just enough for drivers and the OS itself, and other craps that goes to C:\program files\etc etc

all my software, data, games, etc goes to my FAT 32 partitions

i learned the hard way it's easier to rescue and recover lost files in FAT32
    than in NTFS

long story, unless you want to hear it, i wont bother saying it

I use ntfs because I only run WinXP on my computer at the moment. If I ran any dos programs or had win9x on my computer, I'd use fat32. As it is, I figure I might as well make better use of my hard drive space, since compatibility isn't an issue for me.

I run ntfs on xp pro and it is the most rock solid os i have ever used when i ran it with fat 32 it was still a little unstable( both with clean install)

I too have my os on one partition and all my games and other stuff sent to another partition. For some reason I figured I should keep them separate. so I guess I did a good thing, now i'm thinking I could use ntfs for windows xp, and everything else fat 32,, I think that's what you said you did all gamer.. thanks for the info,,,
    asus p3c-2000
    P-II 400-100fsb
    320 mb pc133 sdram
    windows xp
    4x agp ecs-ag315T
    (building new system, someday, soon I hope)