View Poll Results: WHO ROCKS: (POLL) INTEL or AMD?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • AMD is the DADDY (all round)

60 65.93%
  • INTEL is the DADDY (all round)

31 34.07%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: WHO ROCKS: (POLL) INTEL OR AMD?

...And your discounting the 3.0GHz with hyperthreading???

The Athlon is a good processor...no doubt, but it's performance has been exceeded by Intel in the present iteration of P4, even at the same clock speed....not just speed rating. ( In case you haven't noticed, look HERE for example...

The day has came, yet again, where it cost more to get performance from AMD than it does from Intel...thats ironic isn't it.
    AMD is a second rate CPU manufacturer. They always have been and always will be the 'cheaper' of processors, in quality, simply because that is the AMD business strategy.

As a matter of pure analysys...Intel has the capitol and expertise to trump anything AMD can come up with simply due to sheer financial advantage...that is the Intel strategy. Like it or not... it works.
    WINDOWS 2000....Need I say more!

It costs more to get performance from AMD? LOL, are you smoking crack? Dude, get a clue and quote some figures first. First of all, the AMD 2600 rated at 2.13 ghz was as fast as the P4 2.5 ghz cpu and here's the numbers to prove it. AND it's cheaper in price.

check it out http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardwar...le.php/1450561

Plus, Intel admittely said that their 64 bit processor coming up isn't very compatable with 32 bit software, whereas the clawhammer is very compatable with it.

Even though Intel already has a 2.8 ghz out there and is the fastest on the market, it costs an arm and a leg and whoever the fastest out this month doesn't mean anything. It's cost compared to performance that people are concerned with and in that category AMD spanks Intel up and down the street, in the house, out in the back yard, through alleyways, in town square, through the subway and up into a tall building up passed the top floor and even jumping off with parachutes.

I'd seriously re-think you're arguement before mouthing off like that.
    Last edited by Andthensome; 09-09-2002 at 07:48 PM.
    Mama's don't let your babies grow up to be computer nerds. Don't let em pick their noses and play them ol' games. Let em be cowboys and ranchers on the plains.

I knew this was coming ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

Yiippiiiiee!! another AMD vs Intel warz

CPU fighters... ready....

FIGHT !

Sounds like this one may be to the death.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

I just went to my friend's house and look at his new Compaq PC with Intel 2.0, 512DD-ram, 80GB, (don't know his video card czu i dont have chance to check it) It run so quiet. BUt it take so long to get in the Windows. It was like stood there for 10second on loading the Screen "Windows XP (Home Edition)". WHen it get in the WIndows it startup so slow.. i dont know why i think maybe he have so many icon like norton, keyboard icon, sound, volume, aim, hotmail, and connection,
    Leo

My Work PC 2.5 Ghz Intel P4 is also that slow, and it's clean

Aznmask- Compaq is notorious for putting a 5400RPM or even less Hard drive.

All I have to say is $165.00 Intel 2.0a GHz = 2.8 GHz

You won't do that without an XP 2400 or better...( can you even get those? ) if so....it's slightly more than the cost of the Intel.

Anyway...mine boots to the desktop from cold in 22 seconds. Not too bad, with a large pagefile too ( 750 MB ) Wiith it set smaller, it does boot a few seconds faster.

BTW: Look at the performance again, then look at Tom's charts...the 400 MHz bus 2.4 P4 was barely beat by the XP2600, but the 533 MHz bus 2.4a GHz P4 smoked the XP2600.
    See...sharky is leaving out quite a bit of data. Look at the Toms results at the link I gave...you will see exactly how biased Sharky's results are ( hopefully not intentionally ). The big detractor for the P4 is the motherboard choice...as the SIS is known only for one thing...memory performance, and underperforms all the other P4 chipsets...which is weird because the Sharky test has it oputperforming the I850...which just should not happen ( actually, they must have a bum 850 board ).

All I can say is, for the money I spent...you will not get an Athlon to beat it. Thats $230 total shipped cost, what I paid, for 2.0a GHz CPU + Gigabyte GA8-IRXP MB. Thats running at 2.8 GHz, 140/700 FSB ). Thats 6400 CPU MIPS ( sandra SP1 ).

I just don't see any Athlons beating it...for that money, nor do I know ANYONE who has an Athlon that beats it at all.

You can't argue with what it really cost. ( Oh, and I dumped the Volcano 7+ because it was too m\noisey and went back to the stock Intel heatsink and it runs just fine with it overclocked and all ).
    Last edited by BBA; 09-09-2002 at 09:41 PM.

i dont know if it is 5400 or 7200.. ok he told me he bought in Best Buy around $1000+.. check this link this pc i think is the one he bought

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=490&scat=491
    Leo

BBA- you are calling Sharkey Biased lol look at Tom.

He is "Show me the money" kind of person

There is no true benchmarks at a large web-site that is surley influenced by money.

Originally posted by BBA
    All I have to say is $165.00 Intel 2.0a GHz = 2.8 GHz

You won't do that without an XP 2400 or better...( can you even get those? ) if so....it's slightly more than the cost of the Intel.

Anyway...mine boots to the desktop from cold in 22 seconds. Not too bad, with a large pagefile too ( 750 MB ) Wiith it set smaller, it does boot a few seconds faster.

BTW: Look at the performance again, then look at Tom's charts...the 400 MHz bus 2.4 P4 was barely beat by the XP2600, but the 533 MHz bus 2.4a GHz P4 smoked the XP2600.
    See...sharky is leaving out quite a bit of data. Look at the Toms results at the link I gave...you will see exactly how biased Sharky's results are ( hopefully not intentionally ). The big detractor for the P4 is the motherboard choice...as the SIS is known only for one thing...memory performance, and underperforms all the other P4 chipsets...which is weird because the Sharky test has it oputperforming the I850...which just should not happen ( actually, they must have a bum 850 board ).

All I can say is, for the money I spent...you will not get an Athlon to beat it. Thats $230 total shipped cost, what I paid, for 2.0a GHz CPU + Gigabyte GA8-IRXP MB. Thats running at 2.8 GHz, 140/700 FSB ). Thats 6400 CPU MIPS ( sandra SP1 ).

I just don't see any Athlons beating it...for that money, nor do I know ANYONE who has an Athlon that beats it at all.

You can't argue with what it really cost. ( Oh, and I dumped the Volcano 7+ because it was too m\noisey and went back to the stock Intel heatsink and it runs just fine with it overclocked and all ).

huh huh ?? u talkign with a overclock intel cpu .. huh huh it not fair for the AMD since it not overclock.. doh..
    Leo

huh huh ?? u talkign with a overclock intel cpu .. huh huh it not fair for the AMD since it not overclock.. doh..
    Yes! I am.

Who gives a rats **** if it's fair...I'm talking the best deal for the money...and just because the intel OC's so well...AMD lost.

Now, just as a side note...I pulled the heatsink completely off my CPU...and booted the PC. Lets see ANY one of you do that with your Athlon...ANY athlon.

BBA- you are calling Sharkey Biased lol look at Tom.

He is "Show me the money" kind of person
    I know...thats whats so screwed up about the sharky test, because it's pretty clear Sharky left a lot of detailed testing out that would take some shine away from the XP.

There must be an Athlon is god lover there at Sharky's...it's the only explanation.

Now, just as a side note...I pulled the heatsink completely off my CPU...and booted the PC. Lets see ANY one of you do that with your Athlon...ANY athlon.
    Did it to a t-bird 1.4 and a Duron overclocked to 900. Both booted and then I got a error and everyhting stoped running. I tell you the articles at tomshardware arn't always true especially the one with the video about taking heatsinks off.

Who cares though?