Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: ECs k7s5a & athlon 1800xp

ukulele or peter,
    where can I download the pcchips bios, im going to try that first & just in case if it didnt work, can I go back to my old bios, & I'll just have this mobo returned.

I hate returning , but I guess I have no choice.

Roy,
    Most of the reading I've done on this one goes back to the heat factor. I finally got my board to accept two sticks of ddr last night after flashing with the 020429 bios. I tried two others and the lastest 020626 hung up or just rebooted. I'm going to replace the transfer tape with paste on my chips today. System is working but I have had one random reboot in the last ten hours so some instability is still there.
    So that's where your getting the bios update Peter, You didn't mention pcchips. I'l get the latest flash and see what happens.
    By the way Roy, check your psu also. I'm running 400 watts but I've heard that anything under 235 is a major problem.
    Peter, How does amibios address bus termination speed ?I still haven't seen it refered to as that. Does anyone know if auto parts heat paste is the same as used with these chips. I have bunches of that.
    See ya guys
    G. Harper
    gch306

Re: ECs k7s5a & athlon 1800xp

Originally posted by Roy Wilkins

when I boot up the processor is only showing 1150mhz only not 1800.is this correct(ram is 100/100)? I try to change the ram to 133/133, but it froze & would boot , need help with the configuration. thanks
    100/100 should be (133/100) this will give the right speed on your processor. (100=cpu/100=dram frequency)

PS: XP1800 is 1.53 MHZ, it will not read as 1800 unless overclocked.
    Last edited by Baddog; 09-07-2002 at 09:01 AM.
    Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
    SafeSearch is off

Look here for the bios. It was renamed M830L but is the same bios for the M830LR. My board is set to 133/133 and works fine with generic ram. Try the bios update anyway it might help. I have read that some versions of the ECS boards had compatability problem with XP's without the update.

ukulele, I tried that bios, it didnt work too, wont pass the boot, it lockup

baddog, I tried 100/133 & 133/133, there's no 133/100 in the bios

Hi,

As some people here said, there is an issue with 2 SDRAM modules on this MB.

Here is link to discussion forum dedicated to this MB (to the post where this problem is discussed):
    http://pub65.ezboard.com/fk7s5amothe...icID=146.topic

/BBB

Ultimate Member

Re: Re: ECs k7s5a & athlon 1800xp

well unsurprisingly, PC-Chips web site is at http://www.pcchips.com.tw ... Board name for the anonymized OEM version of K7S5A is M830 or M830L, depending on whether you don't or do have LAN onboard, respectively. That June release was somewhat screwed up, at least it didn't want to work with my SCSI card at all. The current August release is fine.

Originally posted by Baddog

100/100 should be (133/100) this will give the right speed on your processor. (100=cpu/100=dram frequency)

PS: XP1800 is 1.53 MHZ, it will not read as 1800 unless overclocked.
    The correct CPU bus speed for Athlon XP is 133 MHz. This means you HAVE to have 133 MHz capable RAM as well.

Most of the time, inability to run 133/133 is a weak PSU, poor CPU cooling, or bad RAM.

regards, Peter

I borrowed 2- 256 pc 133 by kingston from my friend & still not working, only one stick has to use in order to work properly, that's suck. brand new mobo & cpu(retail box)from newegg

bbb,
    your post was convincing that this mobo has a lot of delicate requirements & giving me a headache, nothing but problem.

after long 12 hrs of trying to work it right...I decided to return it to the store. look for something better.

thank you , people for all your post & support. I will rest my case & I concluded that this mobo doesnt take 2 256mb sdram sticks together, I know it will work w/2 ddram stick,but my option is to use sdram....thats why i bought this piece of junk.

Roy,

I am sorry that it did not work out for you. I have this MB myself and although I had some minor problems, I am actually very happy with it (especially for the money I paid).

Well, good luck with your new MB.

/BBB

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Roy Wilkins
    bbb,
    your post was convincing that this mobo has a lot of delicate requirements & giving me a headache, nothing but problem.

after long 12 hrs of trying to work it right...I decided to return it to the store. look for something better.

thank you , people for all your post & support. I will rest my case & I concluded that this mobo doesnt take 2 256mb sdram sticks together, I know it will work w/2 ddram stick,but my option is to use sdram....thats why i bought this piece of junk.
    That piece of junk does work well with 2 sticks of SDRAM, else I wouldn't be posting this. Another, more expensive board will end up having the same fate when you make the same mistakes again.

When you're not willing to listen to advice, then why are you asking in the first place? Did you even bother CHECKING the RAM, or update the BIOS?

The case seems to state that ddr won't hang like sdr but reality is it does. I'm using two sticks of ddr 256mb and I'm still getting an occasional reboot. If the board was no good it would have blown up by now. I'm going for a combo of the heat factor and possibly the v card. My very first problems centered around blank screens. I'm using a wintech 400w and all seems to be inline as far as temp and volt variances. I haven't replaced the heatsink yet but I may not need to. I think I'll go fix a sandwich and run the system in the refrig for a while.........no heat prob there. Not really, but I'll let you know on the 735 after I get some super glue
    gch306

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    I've had the same problem with 2 sticks of SDRAM & the K7S5A
    I recently updated from two sticks of 128 (Gowd knows what type) to two sticks of 256 Twinmos {still SDRAM) & all is hunky dorey I did attempt a bios flash a while ago B4 I updated my ram but it made very NO dff. (Current Bios 4-1-02)

The sticks of Twinmos ram I have are about as similar as chalk & cheese one has M-tec chips on it & the other has chips without any marking on whatso ever.

Hmm Odd Odd (Stranger thing happen at sea Eh Uke!)

peter,
    If you read all my posts, I already test everything what the people say here including your.
    the sticks are in good health, try 4 diff. computer, no problem with them.
    try one stick in any slot same with the other stick ,no problem.

but once put 2 stick together ,it wont pass the boot,it lockup. I upgrade the bios from m850L to recent bios ,still no good.I used 400 watt cpu by enermax ,makes no difference...

do you have anymore other option?

So I think I listen to the people who try to help me.
    this mobo is a piece of junk. I dont care what people say.