Thread: MOBO/Processor Problems???

MOBO/Processor Problems???

O.k., here's the problem. I have an ACorp 6A815EPD dual processor board (only running 1-1Ghz Processor.) Whenever I try and run MOHAA or Tactical Ops...or pretty much any other game...the game exits and windows starts to write a log (running Win2k) I have also gotten a couple of Kernel errors on boot.

Heres what I have done:
    1: Updated the bios...didn't fix problem.
    2: Restored OS...tried 2k again and Xp...still problems.
    3: Took out the old ram and installed some new ram...still problems.

I've updated windows and tried almost everything. I'm also getting errors with Explorer and I've had a couple of other errors that aren't typical with Win2k.

So I'm thinking it's either the Mobo or the Processor. I just got them both and the processor was used. Really not sure where to go from here. If you have any advice PLEASE let me know

Here's the info about my system just incase I left something out.
    ACorp 6A815EPD Mobo (board supports dual processors...)
    1 1Ghz PIII Processor
    1 128meg Kingston 133mhz
    1 30gig WD HD
    1 Geforce4 MX420

Think that's all the important stuff.

Thanks!
    Jared

It's obviously video-related because it happens in games. See what your BIOS setting is for processors. Look in Device Manager under "Computer". If it's ACPI, let's change it to "Standard PC":

1. Reinstall Windows 2000 from within Win2K (run Setup on the CD) and (on reboot) press F5 when you see "Setup is inspecting hardware..." and select the Standard PC HAL when prompted. Continue by using the Repair > Fast Repair (no Recovery Console and no Emergency Repair Disk) method. This is the technique I recommend.

2. An easier, but less sure fix is to change the driver for "Computer" in Device Manager to Standard PC and restart. Go to the Driver tab and click Update driver > Next> Display a list...> Show all...> Standard PC. Although this technique works for me, I have heard of systems that will not restart when it's used. A word to the wise...

Afterward, go to Control Panel > Power Options > APM and enable APM.

Force a particular HAL by pressing F5 during Win2K setup if ths fails. Be sure to choose Standard PC.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Bill, tried all of that...even did a clean reinstall using the Standard PC, but I'm still getting the same errors.

The BSOD that I was getting occasionally when I turned the PC on seems to have gone away. It was an "Unexpected Kernel Trap" error. Error code was like c00000005 or similar.

1 of the games is actually loading, but when I go to start a level it crashes. I've reinstalled it a couple of times, tried updated drivers and patches, it still isn't going. The other game just refuses to run and dumps out some massive error.

The reason that I'm kinda thinking it's the processor is that when I originally purchased it the guy accidentally gave me a 750 when I paid for the 1Ghz. I was stuck with the 750 for a night and decided to play with it anyways (it was used in the first place) I stuck it in, loaded up win2k, drivers...blah blah, installed a game and it ran fine. The next day when I exchanged the 750 for the 1Ghz is when I noticed the problems start. I originally had XP and noticed it doing some weird stuff...so I formatted and installed 2k.

This is where I'm at now...I'm probably going to take back the CPU...but at the same time processors don't really die like this that often...usually when they go out...they go out! If you have any other tips let me know And thanks for your time! It really is appreciated!!

Jared